Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! So a couple days ago I brought my 09' WRX to a local shop of mine, the dude was a master mechanic at subaru so he knows all about our EJ's and such. So I brought it in to him for a boost leak test, and he said he didnt find anything at all for a boost leak, and that my car drove mint. So, I bought a new Cobb SF intake yesterday and took out the old CAI that came with my car and it was absolutely disgusting haha. So i did that, put on the new Stage 2 plus tune since i have a turboback too, anyway the car runs alot better now, but still not hitting anywhere near target boost should be, (17). I've had this problem since i've had the car and i have no clue what it is but it almost sounds like a metallic fluttering noise, like when i start getting into boost it starts coming on and its pretty deep and loud. My car is still pretty quick though, Im only hitting 7-10 psi max at wot and only hit like 3 or 2 in first gear, so do you guys know any recommendations? I've posted about this numerous times but I don't think anyone really cares about this topic haha. So please help me out if you guys know anything. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
Hey everyone! So a couple days ago I brought my 09' WRX to a local shop of mine, the dude was a master mechanic at subaru so he knows all about our EJ's and such. So I brought it in to him for a boost leak test, and he said he didnt find anything at all for a boost leak, and that my car drove mint. So, I bought a new Cobb SF intake yesterday and took out the old CAI that came with my car and it was absolutely disgusting haha. So i did that, put on the new Stage 2 plus tune since i have a turboback too, anyway the car runs alot better now, but still not hitting anywhere near target boost should be, (17). I've had this problem since i've had the car and i have no clue what it is but it almost sounds like a metallic fluttering noise, like when i start getting into boost it starts coming on and its pretty deep and loud. My car is still pretty quick though, Im only hitting 7-10 psi max at wot and only hit like 3 or 2 in first gear, so do you guys know any recommendations? I've posted about this numerous times but I don't think anyone really cares about this topic haha. So please help me out if you guys know anything. Thank you!
Metallic fluttering? That’s a sound description of not heard of. It could be related to the wastegate or turbo. If I’m not mistaken the wastegate pressure is around 7 psi.

You shouldn’t be making hardly any boost in first gear, there isn’t enough load on the engine to hit more than a few psi normally.

You have posted multiple times but you don’t follow up with anything letting anyone know if it’s fixed or not. So far your car has a raw fuel smell, metallic flutter noise, failure to hit target boost, failed turbo replaced, and you’ve done a boost leak test.

Answer these questions. Have you had the intake and vacuum checked? At some point were you driving around with your turbo back without tuning the car for it? Have you had any other diagnostic work done besides asking questions?

From what your suggesting you’ve had done to the car it’s likely from the newly installed turbo. Something may have been wrong with the vacuum lines when they put them back or a waste gate problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cobb Maps

I have a complete Stage 1 and Stage 2 running on my '17 WRX with the Cobb OTS maps. It's pushing 19psi boost and runs like a raped ape. Have all your (correct) maps been properly flashed?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
XJman, hey dude thanks for sticking around, you’ve been on all my post so thank you, but i havent checked vaccum or intake, how would i do so? and the car came with a turboback, the gas smell is kind of gone now? and yes, so basically driving around with the turboback w/o correct tune until yesterday i loaded on the correct one. so how would i check for this stuff? is there anything on here?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im catless whitefang, and bob i do have the correct tune now, it runs alot better now with the new intake on

·
Registered
142 Posts
Which ots stage 2+ map are you running? If you’re in ca,az, or nv. Make sure you’re running the acn 91 map. At idle look at the boost gauge on the ap. The number should be close or around -10 psi

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
XJman, hey dude thanks for sticking around, you’ve been on all my post so thank you, but i havent checked vaccum or intake, how would i do so? and the car came with a turboback, the gas smell is kind of gone now? and yes, so basically driving around with the turboback w/o correct tune until yesterday i loaded on the correct one. so how would i check for this stuff? is there anything on here?
There are various guides online as to how to check it. YouTube will be your friend vs reading a wall of text. Basically you want to pressurize or pull a vacuum in the system and check for leaks. Similar to a boost leak test but for your intake pre turbo.

How long were you driving with the turbo back and no tune? That can cause serious issues and can arise suddenly and without warning. If you can find a compression tester that may be an idea. I don’t think it would cause the low boost issue though.

Have you run any data logs?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually was running the right tune the whole time, stage 2, but the intake was wrong, it was put down as AEM Stage 2, cause i had no clue what intake i was running, i knew it was cold air though. and i could do a datalog, also i had a compression test the original time i my turbo blew and it had good numbers, i believe it has to with that fluttering though, im guessing something with wastegate? also i live in chicago and my boost idling fluctuates between -9.4 through -10

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
That seems normal.

My suspect is the wastegate or vacuum lines controlling it. I could very well be wrong, but it’s my blind guess

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys, so finally got what was wrong with the car, basically, motor is hurt, cylinder 2 has low compression of 89psi, my other ones have 148, 133, 152. my intercooler is leaking from the core, and its causing horrible hesitation, i dont understand how i wasnt getting CEL. so i found out all my problems, how do i attack this? went to a trusted tuner btw Graham tuning/ six star motorsports. should i rebuild the motor or get a whole new one?

·
Super Moderator
10,884 Posts
Hey guys, so finally got what was wrong with the car, basically, motor is hurt, cylinder 2 has low compression of 89psi, my other ones have 148, 133, 152. my intercooler is leaking from the core, and its causing horrible hesitation, i dont understand how i wasnt getting CEL. so i found out all my problems, how do i attack this? went to a trusted tuner btw Graham tuning/ six star motorsports. should i rebuild the motor or get a whole new one?
Ouch.

I’d replace the short block with a new factory unit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey all, so little update,after built motor, my car found out has a bad o2 sensor and i knew it had a vacuum leak since i found out the motor blew, basically, afrs are super lean at idle, like 14.7-20.4, but i also have a faulty o2 sensor and it smells super rich, gotta bring it back next tuesday to the shop where the motor was built, but, ive only drove 141 miles and wanna make sure i didnt have a problem seating the ringlands, just spent hella money, nothing seems bad, just smell, and a little different in exhaust tone, i believe maybe because i got used to it. idk, you think i hurt anything internally? i checked roughness on all cylinders, it 0 at idle, i mean it sounds healthy, just a hear piston slap

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Vacuum Issues and built motor

hey all, so little update,after built motor, my car found out has a bad o2 sensor and i knew it had a vacuum leak since i found out the motor blew, basically, afrs are super lean at idle, like 14.7-20.4, but i also have a faulty o2 sensor and it smells super rich, gotta bring it back next tuesday to the shop where the motor was built, but, ive only drove 141 miles and wanna make sure i didnt have a problem seating the ringlands, just spent hella money, nothing seems bad, just smell, and a little different in exhaust tone, i believe maybe because i got used to it. idk, you think i hurt anything internally? i checked roughness on all cylinders, it 0 at idle, i mean it sounds healthy, just a hear piston slap

1 - 14 of 14 Posts