Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody out there fitted a Nitrous system to their STI yet?
I'm interested in using one but have no idea whether it'll be detrimental to the car, and what would be a good set-up to use.

Big Dave
'04 STI
Perrin downpipe,
Perrin intake,
Greddy Evo catback,
Turboxs boost control

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are effectively 3 ways to put nitrous in your car.

1) dry type nitrous shot
2) wet type
3) intercooler mounted

The research that I have done on n2o applications on this car led me to the following conclusion.

Dry type nos will add power but at considerably larger risk of detonation as no additional fuel is added to the stream.

Wet type nos is capable of adding even more power than the dry and also mixes fuel in with the nos as it is sprayed in. If you were to back off of the power to the point that you were just adding the power of a dry type system, seems to be the safest method.

Intecooler mounted systems boast 50-55 hp gains by freezing the intercooler thus reducing the temperatue of the air going into the throttle body. Some companies that make air cooling products state that the large gains that those companies are seeing is actually 80-90% the result of ambient n20 being ingested into the engine. That effectively makes it an unregulated nos system with VERY little control over what actually ends up in the engine.
Given a situation where you are on a dyno with no airflow over the intercooler to "wash" away the n20, I can see where you could do this. Of course as you actually drive and have a 60+ MPH wind blowing into the scoop, those gains would evaporate as fast as the liquid nos.

Have a look here and here for Holley NOS's latest. If you do decide to go through with it, make damn sure that you are getting a system that is made for a turbocharged engine and that it is installed properly (wot switch etc).

·
Registered
699 Posts
hmm, i wonder why somebody who's selling it would put the absolute most... yet a member with some real dyno experience would lie...

·
Registered
20 Posts
READ what I wrote there. The gains that they are claiming are most likely from n2o being ingested into the engine. Your kneejerk reaction here and sacrcasm aren't needed. No crap the people marketing the product are going to make it seem amazing - they also branded it as "the fast and the furious".

Massive differences between co2 and n2o being ingested into the engine. In a situation like this a dyno will tell you squat unless you have a 60-90MPH windtunnel going at the same time. I think that even the 11whp gains that fellow saw would evaporate with so much air being shoved in on top of the intercooler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NOS for the STI?

Thanks for the info guys.
I'm wondering whether I should wait to get the Utek upgrade, and then get an NOS system?

·
Registered
21 Posts
nitrous is like a hot chick you know has an STD. you want to hit it,but you're scared of the consequences.... moral of the story. don't do it. there are WAY better ways of gaining power. and for not much money ,epecially with this car.of course you could run a nitrous system without probs. i like the venom and zex kits myself. they come with computers to control the n20 flow. as long as you follow the "rules" you'll be fine . (colder plugs,timing control,ignition,etc...)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: NOS for the STI?

Big Dave said:
Thanks for the info guys.
I'm wondering whether I should wait to get the Utek upgrade, and then get an NOS system?
\so true..
i have the nx intercooler on my STi and have to say it was a waste of $350. you are lucky to see 10hp gain and it uses a 5lb bottle every 3 runs like $25 for 3 runs:confused:
Note: ring on intercooler was to large so had to go with a small one

1 - 10 of 10 Posts