ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night there was this huge rainstorm that I was driving in. I was leaving from a meet and came up to this corner onto the main street, I was in 2nd and decided to have a little fun since the light was green:D .

I slide the corner etc, and stayed full on the throttle when it straightened out. And I was still spinning the tires, grab 3rd, still spinning. The car felt weird, and when I put a little pressure on the brakes, they felt weird, almost as if ABS was engaged.

So I decided to test it again. I dropped it to second and went WOT, up around 6k I started experiencing the same thing, and the car felt awkward.

I had the DCCD set to 65% rear as I always have it.

My thoughts are that, the diff was just going insane due to the puddles everywhere, getting traction....losing traction etc. And it engages ABS due to the severe lack of traction.

The car was spinning, then suddenly grabbing traction then losing it etc, and it was a sorta violent feeling.

Thoughts?

-John

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AjIsDope said:
Yeah, sounds like ABS was kicking in big time.
I never thought that it would engage the ABS haha.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ive never had ABS engage in my STi while the tires were spinning and I wasn't touching the brakes, and having driven the STi through the worst winter we've had up here in a long time... I think I probably would've by now. I have had this feeling in a couple LSD equipped cars though. My guess is its the LSD engaging and disengaging.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
skyphix said:
Ive never had ABS engage in my STi while the tires were spinning and I wasn't touching the brakes, and having driven the STi through the worst winter we've had up here in a long time... I think I probably would've by now. I have had this feeling in a couple LSD equipped cars though. My guess is its the LSD engaging and disengaging.
Could have been wheel hop causing the LSD to flip out and engage the ABS. There were patches of big puddles and small spots. My guess is it would spin then grab then spin etc causing the jerky feeling.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
sounds absolutely horrid for your diffs. I would agree with the post 2 above mine though, it's probably not the brakes but more likely the diffs going nuts looking for dry road. My LSD's make the car feel positively uncontrollable in varied traction scenarios, but boy are they hot in the twisties.

~Tim

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with timdog. I've noticed some really weird sensations under massive downpour conditions in my car. Sounds very similar, though I've never done it at more than a roll or constant speed around 30 mph.

para

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
paragonwrx said:
I'm inclined to agree with timdog. I've noticed some really weird sensations under massive downpour conditions in my car. Sounds very similar, though I've never done it at more than a roll or constant speed around 30 mph.

para
Leave it to me to be the only idiot crazy enough to do it at 70+ :screwy: :D

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Do you have an 04 or 05? Supposedly the helical front diff in the 05 can have violent torque transfer in situations like this. I don't know about the rear diff though. I thought it was only able to lock a certain percentage, so it wouldn't be as violent. I could be wrong. If you had the DCCD open, the center diff wouldn't be causing it.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I have an 05 and it will cause that jerky feeling even on dry pavement. If I'm going around a corner hard, the wheels will spin a bit and I won't grab then all of a sudden they grab and I'm forced to the side of the car as the front wheels grab HARD and pull the car around. It's crazy how much that front LSD makes a difference. Gotta be careful though cuz the front pulls so hard that the ass will kick out REAL easy if your powering through a tight corner. Front LSD killed the understeer...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Absolutely LSD. When unaware many will fear something is wrong. ALL LSD will clunk and make strange noises during very tight turns and will cause some initial fear especially on wet pavement. The LSD wants to fight the "differential speed of the inside wheel and the outside wheel. Without it power will only be transfered to the wheel with the LEAST amount of traction. If you have ever owned a 4 wheel drive pickup with manual locked front hubs you would recognize the sensation. It is normal though and the owners manual does mention it ,but IMHO not enough to ease fears of customers. Once you get used to it you'll notice how har you can drive off of wet and tight turns. :tongue:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts