7: Boost controller
8: improved top-intercooler
9: "Compressor discharge tube"
10: BOV (expecting a boost increase)
11: vf22 turbo
12: fuel rail and pump
13: self programmed ECU and boost controllers
14: heavy turbo, sr50 or t67 custom
15: Front mount intercooler (with a turbo from 14)
16: gutting the intake tract of its tumbler plate
17:head work (port and polish)
18: stroker kit.

Thoughts? opnions?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm sure they meant to buy such things in an 'order of magnitude' sort of thing.

I'm surprised, I thought alot more people would have something to say over this.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
it was an OK article.

the reason it looks like they have you replace IC or turbo twice is b/c it had all that above split into 3 levels and if you went with highest you went with that turbo/IC and then everything else below excluding smaller IC/turbo.

they coulda lost the headers and the intakes but otherwise it was ok i guess...

thats a very dumbed down article on modding though. so thats kinda what you get.

youll learn more hanging around here than in 7 pages of a mag.

eitehr way though they talked about the rex throughout the mag with really high regards which was cool

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I got this mag sitting on my table right now. I haven't got that far into it yet, but have scanned through it.

I agree with qoncept. Take out the intake and you have a pretty good guide to go with.

·
Registered
269 Posts
From what I've learned from this board and other sources:

1: Definately.

2: An aftermarket uppipe doesn't help unless it is catless or you are planning bigger mods down the road. For a light tune or mostly stock car, a gutten uppipe is perfect.

3: Just an axel back wouldn't help too much. The farther from the engine a restriction is, the less impact on eprformance it will have. Best to do a TBE. THough, looking through the list, unless they are counting the DP and MP in #9, they don't have you replacing them at any point.

4: Unless you're going with a bigger turbo and FMIC, a CAI can hurt performance by messing with your MAF readings. A good panel filter works just as well.

5: Reading up on COBB and other sources, Headers aren't a big problem with the WRX until you make serious power. Best to hold off on these.

6: Big controversy over these. I'd say don't change them if this is a daily driver.

7: Most people here don't seem to think a MBC is a good idea. An EBC or good ECU seem to be the preferred choice.

8: This only has a minimal effect with the stock turbo. If you are plannin on a larger turbo, then a better IC is good. But whether to go TMIC or FMIC should be decided at this point.

9: From what I've read a dump tube is not a good idea for overall performance. Instead a cast bellmouth is the optimal solution.

10: Only if you're upgrading your turbo.

11: the vf22 is good for Drag racing, but the vf34 is better for daily driven/ AUto-X cars.

12: I've never heard anyone here refer to the fuel rails. I don't even know if the WRX has rails precisely. But Upgraded Injectors and pump should go in before or with a bigger turbo.

13: Should have been done at #7 if you were planning.

14: Should have been done at #11 if you were planning.

15: Should have been done at #8 if you were planning.

16: I have no idea. Never heard of this, have no idea of what it would improve/impact.

17: From what I've read, The heads aren't as big of a deal as a stronger bottom end.

18: I'd swap this with #17.

Essentially, good planning will save a lot fo time, money and effort. Yes, some of the mods will be overkill at first if your goal is a Monster WRX, but they'll still do the job. Plus, some of their specifics aren't good choices for those who only want a light to medium tune (CAI, Headers, etc).

Just my $.02

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Perhaps I'm just missing it, but is there any mention of upgraded injectors? :confused:

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
The fuel rail is debatable as well.

If you do all that work with no brake/suspension/tires your chances of killing yourself increase 10 fold.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I personally ignore what magazines have to say about upgrading our particular car. They don't even mention the injector upgrade that's necessary before any proper turbo upgrade. (disclaimer: Yes, you can run a larger turbo on low low boost with stock injectors, but it's not worth the trouble)

The fuel rail is a different thing from the injectors.

Information from this site (and Nasioc) is far more valuable than what you'll find in a mass market publication. IMO...

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
I personally ignore what magazines have to say about upgrading our particular car.

Information from this site (and Nasioc) is far more valuable than what you'll find in a mass market publication. IMO...
Exactly!

·
Registered
231 Posts
KABLAM

there goes your trans. ;)

16. i think is referring to the tumbler delete mod.

what's the point of an MBC if your'e doing an ecu reflash in #1?

axleback is useless, i'd rather go with a catless downpipe first. it will help spool up.

pulley is a waste of money. i have one and all it did was eat up some voltage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts