ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just picked up my 12 5dr WRX a few days ago. The first time I drove a stick was when I test drove one, and when they threw me my keys after I picked up my order. I'm 140 miles in and I'm very confident with my driving, but hill starts are still my arch nemesis. I heard something about a hill start assist on Subaru's, and I know it's on the STI. Apparently it's similar to a BMW where it holds the break for you about 3 seconds... Anyways, does my car have this? If so do I have to engage it somehow?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Yes, the car has it.

You have to have the clutch in, car in 1st and it will engage when you release the brake. It holds for ~3seconds. It won't do it if you don't have the car in gear with the clutch depressed.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
^^^what he said.And yes,your car has it just like the STI.

Only difference is you can disable it on the STI whereas with the WRX you are stuck with it forever.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Do you guys not like the hill assist? I don't mind it... maybe its because I'm in a hill-filled town lol.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Do you guys not like the hill assist? I don't mind it... maybe its because I'm in a hill-filled town lol.
personally I am not a fan of it, probably because I learned to drive without it and now it just annoys me. If I had it from day one it probably would have saved me from needing a clutch job when I was 17 (I taught myself stick) and I'd like it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yeah it was definitely a change when I got the new car. Whenever I take the TT out I always have to remember I don't have that ~3 second cushion like the subbie. But the hill assist has definitely come in handy in my town. I think if it was a paid option for the car I would probably opt out of it, but considering its standard I can't complain.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's definitely a strange feeling at first when you're used to driving a car without it, but now that I've had it for a few months I really like that feature.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
At first, I didn't like it, but I eventually got used to it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I'm not averse to it.We have a lot of hills around here & there is always somebody right behind your bumper when you are stopped on a hill.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I didn't like it, but when I broke my feet and had to wear horible moon boot while driving I found it very useful. This boot was heavy and it was challenging to start moving uphill. Funny fealing, it's like driving in skiboots.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I didn't like it, but when I broke my feet and had to wear horible moon boot while driving I found it very useful. This boot was heavy and it was challenging to start moving uphill. Funny fealing, it's like driving in skiboots.
what height did you jump from?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I was dumping an old londery washer, carying it and slided on dolly. Twisted my ankle and broke and dislocated these little bones down there. ;)
Scateboarding is fun, but not on dolly.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I was dumping an old londery washer, carying it and slided on dolly. Twisted my ankle and broke and dislocated these little bones down there. ;)
Scateboarding is fun, but not on dolly.
Hope you are feeling better.It is quite difficult to break & dislocate those,which is why I asked.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Oh yeah, I am much better. Thank you. Because of this incident, I am all for this feature now. It's annoying at the beginning, but when learned and used properly, it helps a lot.

·
Registered
90 Posts
it doesnt matter that it is not able to be disabled...if you are fast on the clutch it automatically goes off when the clutch is released...so its not going to do anything to your clutch or make it burn....so as soon as you release the clutch it goes off...jeff

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Hated that hill assist. Made learning to drive a stick even harder. Never had that natural lean back gradient to feel the clutch catch. Would just stall all the time instead of drift backwards a half inch. Agh, that feature was frustrating.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts