ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I have not entered the wonderful world of AWD yet, but will be in the next month. I'm in the process of choosing what options I want. Just wanted to know if anyone out there has a WRX with the dealer installed short throw 5MT. If so what do you think of it? Is it cheaper/better to just buy one aftermarket?

Thanks!

bbpuppet

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
i have the sti short shifter on my 04 rex and i love it...the throws are alot smoother and precise than the stock...it also shortens the throw a lil....if you your car is equipped w/ the s/s it is also covered under ur warranty

·
Registered
40 Posts
Go with the factory unit, it replaces the entire shifter from the stick to the trans, linkage, bushings and all !! Most of the other options are just a shrter stick?

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Got it and love it. If you drive a MT without one, it's ridiculous how far apart the gears seem. Worth the money.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have a B & M kit, and I say go with the factory short shift. Warranty is always nice. It may cost a little more, but I think it would be worth the money.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info! Think I'll be going with the factory unit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
if you do more search, you'll find many people like Kartboy SS because of it's performance and quality. it's much cheaper than factory one but may void your warranty. does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've got an aftermarket shifter. I've only drove one factory short shifter but that was when I was 17 and now I am 21. Can't really compare the two. All I know is that I paid $70 and I can't be more happy. I don't know what warranty it would void? I really don't think you are going to be breaking any of the shift linkage during shifts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
good to know that's the case. i won't bother asking them if that will void the warranty. even if they say so, i think i'll still install it. thanks for your reply.

ray

wake2snow5 said:
I've got an aftermarket shifter. I've only drove one factory short shifter but that was when I was 17 and now I am 21. Can't really compare the two. All I know is that I paid $70 and I can't be more happy. I don't know what warranty it would void? I really don't think you are going to be breaking any of the shift linkage during shifts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
wake2snow5 said:
I don't know what warranty it would void? I really don't think you are going to be breaking any of the shift linkage during shifts.
I believe they mean if you get the factory s/s installed by the dealer, it will be covered under your extended warranty should anything happen.

I can't imagine driving w/o mine :wiggles:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts