ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, well i have a dilemma. ive been wanting a wrx forever, and i mean forever. so i started saving up my money. i want to wait till spring to get the car by then i should have about 6 or 7k saved up, but i dont think thatll be enough unless i buy a really high mileage wrx and im not too sure about going to a dealership and making payments seeing as i might go to school soon. would anybody advise getting a high mileage car and just dropping in a new motor? like i said i might be going to school so i want something ill actually own and can sit around and i can put some money into it now and then if i dont have steady income. any advice would help, im just looking for other opinions thanks!

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
You can find bugeyes for around 6-7k that are in good shape.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I would agree that for $6k, it will be hard to get a clean, unmodified WRX that won't require some work. By new motor, do you mean new motor? A new motor is going to cost you a few thousand at least on top of the price of the car but if you could afford to do it, it is an option for you. In my opinion, if I had $6k to spend on a used car, a WRX would not be the first car on my list. I would look into a Honda or Toyota. They are proven reliable, easy to maintain, usualy fairly cheap to fix, get better fuel mileage, lower insurance rates, a great daily commuter, etc.... Then, when you're finished with school, have a steady (and hopefully larger) income, look at a newer WRX.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
I would agree that for $6k, it will be hard to get a clean, unmodified WRX that won't require some work. By new motor, do you mean new motor? A new motor is going to cost you a few thousand at least on top of the price of the car but if you could afford to do it, it is an option for you. In my opinion, if I had $6k to spend on a used car, a WRX would not be the first car on my list. I would look into a Honda or Toyota. They are proven reliable, easy to maintain, usualy fairly cheap to fix, get better fuel mileage, lower insurance rates, a great daily commuter, etc.... Then, when you're finished with school, have a steady (and hopefully larger) income, look at a newer WRX.
You are wise. I was too lazy to type all that.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
I dont have a WRX yet but, I can tell you from personal exp. that it's gonna be better to wait until you can either have more saved or the ability to make payments on a new one. I feel like these cars are meant to be special, in other words you should be at a point in your life when you can get what you really want and not just get some older WRX just because you want one.

I have wanted a WRX since 02 when I was 17 and have had multiple oppurtunites to purchase one since then but didn't. I am now 26 with a great job and I finally feel like it's time to grab my WRX. So coming from someone who has waited close to 10 years to get a WRX, it's worth the wait. ;)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,466 Posts
okay, well i have a dilemma. ive been wanting a wrx forever,
Odysseus took 20 years to return home, and he didn't say "forever."

would anybody advise getting a high mileage car and just dropping in a new motor?
No.

like i said i might be going to school so i want something ill actually own and can sit around and i can put some money into it now and then if i dont have steady income. any advice would help, im just looking for other opinions thanks!
Doesn't sound like an opportune time to have a project car. Look for a solid daily driver instead. The more reliable, frugal, and boring the better. This will translate into lower fuel, insurance, and repair bills, and will be less likely to disappear from campus parking lots.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Doesn't sound like an opportune time to have a project car. Look for a solid daily driver instead. The more reliable, frugal, and boring the better. This will translate into lower fuel, insurance, and repair bills, and will be less likely to disappear from campus parking lots.
^This is what I meant as well. It is also what I have done up to this point. When I get my WRX I will be giving up a 1994 Integra that has lasted 5 years. Another thing to consider is that WRX's are not cheap cars to modify where as Honda/Acura can be modded on a budget!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i actually have a daily driver as it is, im just looking for a 2nd project car, and i see a couple of my friends are dedicated to certain types of cars that each one of them love, for ex. my friend and his 92 integra. i love 04 wrx's and if theres one car id love to put money/dump money into itd be one of those. idk maybe its wisconsin but wrx's are pretty pricey around here. alot of people want them and im seeing dealerships put 02 wagons up for 13k with 140k for miles lol. idk id drive to a different state if i had to find one cheaper but i guess ill either keep saving money or try to find a decent bugeye. i appreciate the different opinions though!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the only other cars ive really looked into besides a wrx would be an rsx type s, or a srt4 would anyone advise against those??

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,466 Posts
the only other cars ive really looked into besides a wrx would be an rsx type s, or a srt4 would anyone advise against those??
Yes, I would. The SRT4 is not suited for your situation. Any Honda that is sensible and typically owned and driven sensibly would be suited to your situation; however, the RSX S is not one of those Hondas.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ah thats kind of what ive heard :/ i was hoping to stick to a newer vehicle (2000 and up.) the only other car ive thought about is a 240 but i honestly think its worth to save my money longer than to buy a cheap 20 year old car and put alot of money into it, despite it might look nice or it'd be fast im just also trying to consider how well the car will retain value

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
ah thats kind of what ive heard :/ i was hoping to stick to a newer vehicle (2000 and up.) the only other car ive thought about is a 240 but i honestly think its worth to save my money longer than to buy a cheap 20 year old car and put alot of money into it, despite it might look nice or it'd be fast im just also trying to consider how well the car will retain value
If you like the RSX just get a base version. The K motor in it is almost the same as the Type S to be honest and you can easily make a base RSX look like a Type S. Unlike the difference between a WRX ans STi there isn't a huge gap between base and Type S RSX's. I don't know if I can plug another forum here but check out team-integra.net. It's the Integra/RSX version of this forum lol. I spent a lot of time there and learned more than enough about Acura's. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks it does! im kind of suprised actually, i know theres a big difference between the wrx and stis so i figured itd be the same for the type s i guess not lol, do you happen to know how hard it is to turbo the rsx? i read a little bit on it and it didnt sound that promising but just curious

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you're planning on going to school soon. The last thing you'll want do is to buy a money pit of a car. I've spent a good deal of money on my car the 1st I've owned it and yet it still stock! :eek:

If you can wait it out a couple more years until you're truly ready to buy one I'll guarantee you that your wait will be well worth it. I don't think this type of car is fit for your current situation.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
You can turbo them but it requires a lot of motor work first. New rods and pistons, sleeving, new injectors, new manifolds. You basically have to bulletproof the motor before you even think about putting a decent turbo on. The B series motor is a little but easier than the K series in terms of turbo potential. However if you do put the work in you can make a seriously quick car.

Given your situation this is something you could tackle but you would have to be very patient. I won't say much more here so if you're interested then definitely look at the forum. There is an amazing amount of info there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts