ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I have an 2005 Impreza OutbackSport. My engine blew and I’m finally going turbo with a ej205 and 5speed tranny. I’m reaching out for some info on the swap itself, I know that I’ll have to replace the diff to a 3.90 final drive, ecu since it’s gonna be from JDM engine with ACVS. I’m wondering about splicing the the engine wiring harness to the main wiring harness, how hard is that to do? Would it be easier to just buy tho whole wiring harness? Also will I have to use new axles? Also wanting to keep things like cruise control and air conditioning too, would those be hard to put back on? Thanks in advance!!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,063 Posts
I’m wondering about splicing the the engine wiring harness to the main wiring harness, how hard is that to do?
Mountaineering with SCUBA gear in my opinion.

Also will I have to use new axles?
On the turbo Imprezas I think the axle gender changed some time in 2004. Also see if the track matches from donor to recipient.

Also wanting to keep things like cruise control and air conditioning too, would those be hard to put back on? Thanks in advance!!
I don't recall if you're going from direct linkage to throttle-by-wire, sorry.

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
Yes. Cheaper too.

By the time you build a non turbo engine to support the boost you have exceeded the cost of a 205 from a wrx.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m not rebuilding what I have, I’m buying a ej205 power plant. I’m just wondering would it be easier to just purchase the wiring harness off a regular WRX instead of splicing the wrx engine harness to the pre-existing harness that I have?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,063 Posts
The trouble is you're not buying an engine for a car from the USA, so you'll have to sort out how to connect a used engine of dodgy provenance intended for a foreign market car (with a different harness) to your chassis, which is a different car to either the domestic or foreign market WRX.

You'd still need to do some creative dentistry even if you bought a domestic market WRX harness for your foreign market engine.

Since the parts involved may be older than some drivers, neither I nor anybody I know remembers which combos will work. For example at one point I remembered how to address the AVCS wiring issue you're gong to face -- but no longer. This in itself doesn't bother me nearly as much as my inability to forget things I really rather would instead.

Anyway: You might try asking on NASIOC, or you might try seeing if a domestic turbo motor makes more sense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts