ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drove from my lawyer's office to my home no issues. Started my car to drive back had a slightly rough idle but I just thought it might be a gas issue and was going to throw some gas treatment in the tank then top off with some other gas after I went back to my lawyer. Went to my lawyer's office came back to my car and it wouldn't start. Called my mechanic and he said it sounds like a battery issue. Replaced the battery and the car still wont fire up. Any ideas?

·
Master linguitist
10,038 Posts
Could be plugs or coils, fuel pump, blown relay or fuse, failed pistons.

Need a little more than it just won't start. How old is the car, how many miles? Have you checked of you are getting spark and fuel?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a 2006 WRX with 160K on it as far as I know. All I got is wont start didn't go father sent it to my subbie mechanic just trying to get an idea of what kind of bill I might be getting called with. Everything you mentioned besides pistons seems relatively cheap repairs. My mechanic stated that he though I had forged pistons in it by the sound of the motor. They could just up and fail without giving any indication besides a slightly rough idle?

·
Master linguitist
10,038 Posts
If it has knock it can damage them. Unless the engine is built aftermarket the pistons are hypereutectic and not forged. It's a possibility, but not really the most likely cause. I also don't imagine a built engine with forged pistons would go 160k.

The sound he may be hearing is piston slap, it's when the piston rocks a little in the cylinder. It can be from undersized forged pistons or an engine with a lot of hours and miles.

I usually look to fuel and spark as the culprits. Either coils or plugs. It isn't unheard of for fuel pumps to fail either.

Another long shot problem could be the timing belt. If it wasn't changed at 100k it could have skipped a tooth and threw the cams out of time, again not likely but possible.

I would almost expect something with the plugs and coils or fuel pump, possibly a maf or O2 sensor also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it has knock it can damage them. Unless the engine is built aftermarket the pistons are hypereutectic and not forged. It's a possibility, but not really the most likely cause. I also don't imagine a built engine with forged pistons would go 160k.

The sound he may be hearing is piston slap, it's when the piston rocks a little in the cylinder. It can be from undersized forged pistons or an engine with a lot of hours and miles.

I usually look to fuel and spark as the culprits. Either coils or plugs. It isn't unheard of for fuel pumps to fail either.

Another long shot problem could be the timing belt. If it wasn't changed at 100k it could have skipped a tooth and threw the cams out of time, again not likely but possible.

I would almost expect something with the plugs and coils or fuel pump, possibly a maf or O2 sensor also.

Yea I don't think the engine (if Built) has what the odometer reads on it but I don't know. Didn't buy it from the original owner. Im also not sure if a Subaru mechanic (like literally is what this shop specializes in) wouldn't know piston slap sound (I could be wrong).

I am very worried it was the timing belt but if it is Im hopeful it slipped when I tried to start it before replace the battery not when driving there as it would have stopped running then.

I had also thought it could be a fuel pump

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only cogged pulleys are the cam pulleys. Do you mean a tensioner pulley?

Also the thing I don't understand if this pulley fell apart and the timing belt slipped off I shouldn't have been able to drive it. It should have died correct? Could this have happened on a start up? Like when I jumped it or tried to start it after I went to my lawyers?

·
Master linguitist
10,038 Posts
I don't mean to be dramatic but if you entirely lost a timing belt there is the real possibility you smoked the valves, pistons, and possibly cylinder walls. I would almost certainly go and see for yourself or get a second opinion.

A cam pulley doesn't just explode

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't mean to be dramatic but if you entirely lost a timing belt there is the real possibility you smoked the valves, pistons, and possibly cylinder walls. I would almost certainly go and see for yourself or get a second opinion.

I don't know if it exploded but they said it broke and let the timing belt come off. The car ran I don't think I ever heard of a car running with the timing belt coming off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He has to be referring to a tensioner pulley as that is what happens when they fail.
Is that known to happen with aftermarket non OEM ones? He said its not a common thing with OEM but the aftermarket ones fail a lot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Also I don't really think youre being dramatic those are real things that do happen when your timing belt breaks/comes off and the car is running

·
Master linguitist
10,038 Posts
Is that known to happen with aftermarket non OEM ones? He said its not a common thing with OEM but the aftermarket ones fail a lot.
If there are 160k miles on the factory ones I'm sure it failed. They are set to be serviced every 100k along with the water pump and belt.

I don't use aftermarket parts for anything critical aside from brakes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If there are 160k miles on the factory ones I'm sure it failed. They are set to be serviced every 100k along with the water pump and belt.

I don't use aftermarket parts for anything critical aside from brakes.

2300 for a valve job

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
2 Participants
Domin8469
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing