ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am doing the whole college thing now.... I am entering the Medical field, and therefore have a crap load of classes I need to take in a shorter amount of time than most people it seems.....

so my question is, Is it possible to retain a good standing social life once things are in full swing? Its seems that with school, working ~18-22 hours a week, and studying all the time, there isnt much time for anything else. So I was just wondering, Is this a reoccuring thing for many of you? pretty much eat, sleep, study, school and that takes up all your time.... and what time you do have you try to work to make some extra $$$$$...

just curious..... because I think this is gonna suck:tongue:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I work 40 hours a week and am taking 14 credit hours. My work schedule is Wed-Mon from 11pm till 7am. School schedule is Mon-Fri from 0830 till 1pm. I go to school straight from work and go to bed straight from school. I wake up and go straight to work. That's 2 days of my week. As you can see I have NO days off, and really if I'm not working or at school I'm doing homework. I do get little breaks, but not enough to actually go out and do anything. It's fun!

-Ryan

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ry-Guy said:
I work 40 hours a week and am taking 14 credit hours. My work schedule is Wed-Mon from 11pm till 7am. School schedule is Mon-Fri from 0830 till 1pm. I go to school straight from work and go to bed straight from school. I wake up and go straight to work. That's 2 days of my week. As you can see I have NO days off, and really if I'm not working or at school I'm doing homework. I do get little breaks, but not enough to actually go out and do anything. It's fun!

-Ryan
GOOD LORD MAN!!!!!!!!!! I tip my hat to you!!!!!
I hope all that hard work payes off in the end.....

I just never really tried in highschool.... ( I did homework somewhat and never studied for tests, but I still managed to maintain an "A" average........
I am coming to notice that I cant do this in college:eek3:
I have to study all the time, because a pharmacy school wont accept any class I got a 74% or less in. I also work about 20 hours a week 40min from where I live:(

I am going out tonight with one friend for a few hours, than meeting up with another around midnight for a few hours..... i was just thinking that I am not going to be able to do all this sh*t much longer....
plus I have to make time for my g/f also.....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Just squeeze in anything you can. Dont overwork yourself or you're going to end up flipping out and losing your mind if all you do is study.

The key here is balance. Find a balance between work and social life and you'll be fine.

Working all the time isn't healthy, either. You need to get out

·
Registered
387 Posts
I am majoring in Pre-Pharmacy+ Healths Services Administration. So i am going pre-med with another major. I have not had a problem keeping up a social life, but then again I do not have to work due to scholarships. I still do all the intramurals... ( I am a sport guy) and still hangout with my friends and workout. The key is becoming more responsible and not procrastinating. Time management is the key. Other than that, you should be fine. Anyway... back to Organic

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm prelaw now but Im working full time because I'm on co-op interning at a law firm. As of now my schedule is work from 8:30-5, from there go to work at Best Buy in the warehouse moving stuff til about 11. Then on the weekends I go home to work for my parents pulling 12-13 hour shifts in a restaurant. The best part is I'm getting a full semester's worth of credits plus lots of money and I don't have to pay tuition (for now). During the summer I was up to 90 hours a week, and averaging about 80 hours, in retrospect it sucked because I pretty much kissed my social life away a long time ago and I haven't had a day off since April when I got out of my last final. If you want something you need to make some sacrifices, hopefully in the end it pays off. I only did it so I could finally move to Boston and live in a phat apartment and at least I don't have homework though.. :)

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
If you're entering the medical field, kiss teh social life goodbye. WTF is a social life anyway? :eek3:

<-- 0wn3d; i.e. med school > me

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Integra96 said:
If you're entering the medical field, kiss teh social life goodbye. WTF is a social life anyway? :eek3:

<-- 0wn3d; i.e. med school > me
lol, I have already registered for the maximum amount of credit hours I can in a semester....... And I will still probably be a year behind:mad:

ahhhhh well...... Trailboss is right.... Its the work thing that killing me... It cuts right in the middle of everything. especially my days off. but i have to work to pay for the car. I am going to cut down my hours as much as possible and try to maintain a reasonable balance between studing and half way descent "social life"

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
VitaminWRX said:
Like my Math professor said "You can either have sleep, good grades or a social life. Pick two."
That sounds about right.

I am a work-a-holic anyway, so if school and 40-hours/week of work isn't keeping me busy, I usually find something to keep me busy, but it's starting to wear me down...

-snowcat

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I never went into medical thinking of all the studying I'd have to do ...lack of a social life etc...
yet I chose computers...:rolleyes: afterhours support pager strapped to my belt...here overnighting from time to time... (now a days) ..other jobs ...get called in all the time... long hours ...plus got to keep friggin studying for certifications ...pc's change every 6 months ...

actually considering changing majors (yes AGAIN) for Education...
If anything the kids will think Im cool 'cause of the car I drive :D

·
Registered
832 Posts
think of it as an investment in your future......do you want to work like a dog to 65 or 70? or be golfing or whatnot at 45 -50 or sooner?
Advice from an older guy...........work your tail off NOW so you can enjoy life later.

just my .02
fwiw
DML

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
DarkMoonLord said:
think of it as an investment in your future......do you want to work like a dog to 65 or 70? or be golfing or whatnot at 45 -50 or sooner?
Advice from an older guy...........work your tail off NOW so you can enjoy life later.

just my .02
fwiw
DML
Not how i feel. Play now, play later. Job on the side :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think its just because its the beginning of the year and people feel a little overwhelmed when they dont have a set routine yet. I think once you get adjusted and figure out all the times, places, and people to fit into your schedule it wont seem so bad.

Im still trying to get into the swing of things since school has started. But itll fall into place, it always does.

-Griffin

BTW:
There should be a happy medium somewhere; I mean Im gonna have fun while Im young and can still party and get on b*tches before they turn all wrinkly and such...;)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Ta Ta Ta Ta Ta Time to get a hooker!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
DarkMoonLord said:

just my .02
fwiw
DML
Yeah, that's the problem though - I still haven't seen any benefits of my degree. My first job I got hire full-time perm off the temp agency and the director didn't even know I had a degree until someone else quit and they were looking to promote me. So, that proves that my education didn't mean anything in that regard because they were looking to promote me before they even knew I had a degree. Whoop-dee-doo...

At my current job, I do shipping, purchasing, and inventory. Oh, and the ever-obligatory "talk to jackasses who are unnecessarily rude to you on the phone" (otherwise known as customer service). This job in no way shape or form requires a college degree, and it's one of the best-paying jobs I saw advertised in town over the past 2 years. (Starting pay that is of course.) Over the years I've continually applied to jobs in my field with no luck, and I have about 5 years of job experience now. I'm really not looking forward to graduating, because I fear my master's degree will mean as little as my undergrad degree...

I would be perfectly willing to work 70-hour workweeks if I loved the job and the pay was commensurate with what I could bring to the organization. I realize everyone has to "pay their dues" but after 5 years I fully expect a portion of those dues to be paid off. :mad:

Don't take my word for things though - Montana has the lowest "wage per job" in the country, with no hope of a positive upturn in the next decade...

-snowcat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts