Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is another NASA sponsored event.

https://nolamotor.com/nasa-racing/

I have signed up and would hope a couple others might join me.

They will be running the 2.7 mile track. There is a group from Texas coming in for the TT and Racing classes. It is worth it just to watch the Spec BMWs go at it in the Race class.

I will be trying to lower my personal best. Looking to get under 2 minutes.

·
Banned
289 Posts
sigh. road racing would be so much fun if you didn't care about bumping and the like.

good luck on that NPB!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sigh. road racing would be so much fun if you didn't care about bumping and the like.

good luck on that NPB!
While there are Racing classes that may have 10-12 Spec BMWs and maybe 8-10 other prototypes or pure race cars, most of the event is designed to be a HPDE event. NASA runs a very tight event. They require a professional tech inspection, signed by an ASE mechanic, followed by another tech inspection at the track. Each participant is classed according to their NASA log book. You run from novice (instructor in car) with designated passing zones and strict point to pass rules, to "B" class solo with strict passing zones and strict point to pass rules all the way up to Time Trials which are very experienced drivers and open pass rules. There are drivers' meetings, corner workers and very strict enforcement of the rules of the event. Car to car contact is very rare (I believe there has been one in HOD and one in NASA nationally this year). Car spin or car off track means a black flag and a chat with the race supervisor.

These are the types of events where your current auto insurance may actually cover. These are viewed as driver training events and they truly are. You are learning how to control your car at speed. You gain greater understanding of braking, turn-in and corner exit. Safety is always first and stressed at all times.

Yes, I carry a NASA membership card and my NASA log book is current. I have competed in PCA (Porsche Club of America) and HOD (Hooked on Driving) events. I am a member of HOD, as well.

·
Banned
289 Posts
I think I may look into this. Thanks for the info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts