ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock WRX & find the exhaust noise in the cabin is just too loud, especially at the very beginning of the gear range (2000 - 2500 RPM). I have been told to add a resonator, but have seen mixed reviews on that. Any suggestions on how to quiet down the exhaust noise? I am not a DYI & will not spend 3K to soundproof the car. Please don't tell me to turn the radio up...it already sucks. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
They sell silencers. I have a resonator on my aftermarket exhaust, it keeps it pretty quiet unless I'm on it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a stock WRX & find the exhaust noise in the cabin is just too loud, especially at the very beginning of the gear range (2000 - 2500 RPM). I have been told to add a resonator, but have seen mixed reviews on that. Any suggestions on how to quiet down the exhaust noise? I am not a DYI & will not spend 3K to soundproof the car. Please don't tell me to turn the radio up...it already sucks. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
I was straight 3 inch pipe from the turbo back, and I hated it. I went with couple of mufflers and resonated the mid. Love the sound and it's fairly quiet

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
If the stock sound is too much for you, you are limited on your options.

There are a few cat-back systems that claim to be as quiet, or quieter, than stock, but that option is not cheap.

You could add another resonator (stock should already have one) which will change the tone, but not really the volume.

You could get a silencer (as mentioned above).

You could get your trunk (4 door) or cargo area (5 door) sound proofed. doing just the trunk/cargo area should not cost more than a few hundred bucks and lower sound in the car when the windows are up and radio is down.

Ultimately though, these cars are not quiet. To make them quiet it will cost money, less if you are willing to learn to DIY, more if you have all work done for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the stock sound is too much for you, you are limited on your options.

There are a few cat-back systems that claim to be as quiet, or quieter, than stock, but that option is not cheap.

You could add another resonator (stock should already have one) which will change the tone, but not really the volume.

You could get a silencer (as mentioned above).

You could get your trunk (4 door) or cargo area (5 door) sound proofed. doing just the trunk/cargo area should not cost more than a few hundred bucks and lower sound in the car when the windows are up and radio is down.

Ultimately though, these cars are not quiet. To make them quiet it will cost money, less if you are willing to learn to DIY, more if you have all work done for you.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
You may have bought the wrong car for your wants. The WRX and STI models aren't really sold with quiet as a prime selling point. Which year car do you have? The 2002-2007 models are notorious for having very little sound deadening when compared to comparably priced sedans.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You may have bought the wrong car for your wants. The WRX and STI models aren't really sold with quiet as a prime selling point. Which year car do you have? The 2002-2007 models are notorious for having very little sound deadening when compared to comparably priced sedans.
Its a 2011

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Its a 2011
Do you have an SPT exhaust?

Clearly noise sensitivity varies between individuals.I always thought that my stock exhaust was not loud enough.

·
48,699 Posts
Clearly noise sensitivity varies between individuals.I always thought that my stock exhaust was not loud enough.
Same here. I'm sorta stuck...the stock catback is pretty quiet (though has more growl because of DP and other components) and the other catback I own is waaaay too loud. I need an in-between option...

·
48,699 Posts
Same here. I'm sorta stuck...the stock catback is pretty quiet (though has more growl because of DP and other components) and the other catback I own is waaaay too loud. I need an in-between option...

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Ray, what aftermarket CBE do you have? (the too loud one)

·
Registered
161 Posts
do you have a sedan or hatch? I have a hatch with spt exhuast and its pretty loud... but i like it. When my mom goes in the car she hates the bass. Did you just buy the car? Maybe you can try to take it back. Subarus are well known for their exhaust note and a big reason why we all buy them.

·
48,699 Posts
Ray, what aftermarket CBE do you have? (the too loud one)
I call it my Clamf-Spec exhaust...(it was sent to me by another admin here as a "welcome back to the fold" gift when I bought another WRX; I think that it's a custom one-off.)
It was fairly quiet and mellow on my 2.0, but for some reason rattles windows with the hybrid engine.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
There was a guy here who dynamat'd his trunk and he said that help the sound levels immensely.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Replace the mufflers. The stock mufflers are huge, heavy and dampen a lot of sound

Or remove the resonator at the mid and keep the stock mufflers

Worse case you hate it and can put it back.

I personally like the catless all the way back to a the magnaflows

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
put on an invidia n1 race for 10k miles and then change back to stock.....problem solved

1 - 20 of 21 Posts