Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the sedan and there is a noise coming from the back of my WRX. On nice flat roads everything is great but when I turn left or right or when I'm on a bumpy (typical city street) it sounds as if the sheet metal is flexing or something. I looked in the trunk and noticed two rods running under the parcel shelf. They look connected to the truck lid. I've put some heavey cloth between the areas that my ears told me the sound was coming from but without riding around in my trunck I just don't know. The other possible spots might be where the seat belts roll up? I've checked everything spare, tire jack you name it and they are all very tightly secured. PLS help if anyone else has noticed this it's been embaressing to have my freinds and family ask, "What's that noise?". I know when I take it into the dealer for my 1K check up and oil change they will want an idea of the problem to help them. THX
Pete:eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Those rods are actually tempered steel bars that are used as springs to open and keep open the trunk (like torsion bars).

Funny thing, at 650 miles we have a clunking coming from the right rear on our wagon. I took it the dealer and put it on a lift but a cursory inspection found nothing loose. I have an appointment for next week. The tech thinks it could be the clutch but I am thinking a bad CV joint. I'll keep you posted on what they find.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The noise you are hearing is most likely the metal tensioner rods in the trunk. wrap some electrical tape or something around the bars where they cross(X) in the center of your trunk to help insulate the bars from rubbing each other.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife of all people figured it out. LOL. It was the material that runs up the side of the trunk. I shoved an old sock (clean of course LOL) took the car out and no more rattle. When I bring the car in for the 1K oil change and check up I plan on them fixing it propperly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts