22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 wrx 2.0 with the following mods
Full hks 3 inch turbo back exhaust
Front mount intercooler with hks bov
Cold air intake
Stock td04 turbo P&P 19t upgrade and .8 bar wastegate
Stock injectors

When I first start the car whiteish/blue smoke comes out of the exhaust, telling me it's running rich. The idle is very rough at first but then when I drive it for a few minutes it starts to act normal. Sometimes it will die coming to a complete stop.

My questions are....
Would my setup without a tune cause it to run rich, or the rough idle?
Thanks,
Ron

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
What tune is on the car?

If nothing, you need one...

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
white-ish blue is oil smoke.. black smoke is unburnt fuel.

have you done a compression check? Made sure the seals on the turbine side of the turbo are good? ..

Get a tune man, you're wasting potential without one let alone running a risk of damage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Compression is good it reeks like gas isnt oil when I wot its black
No tune...what tune is good also you guys think the sti pink injectors will work with my mods

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Don't go WOT ever again until you get injectors and tuned. Better yet don't drive it at all.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Wow... all those mods and no tune? I'm surprised your car is still running, TBH. Like mycologist said, don't go WOT until you can get a proper tune. Don't even get into boost. Or, as he said, better yet just don't drive it.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Seriously I'm surprised the car is ok unless you haven't run very many miles and you haven't gotten on the throttle much.

Don't drive that until you have a tune on it unless you like replacing engines...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At idle it's running rich n sounds like it's misfiring, but when I unplug the maf sensor the engine sounds normal and barley any white/black smoke is noticeable from the exhaust....how can I check the maf to see if it's good?

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Why would you even ask if you need a tune unless you are trolling? Hhhmmmm it isn't running right because it needs a tune and it isn't idling right because you are running a BOV.
This could easily be an inherited situation or someone who thought they could do it incrementally. Maybe without some help along the way we all would have ended up in a similar situation.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Post up your location so we can see if there are any reputable tuners in your area. Your going to want to save up some cash to get that car on a dyno, dont drive it how it is the car definitely needs a custom tune with all the mods that it has.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chicagoland area 1 hour west

As for the smarta** comments..I'm asking for help because I don't know jack sh*t about this car, cut me a little fricken slack and help me...
Thanks

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
You're getting those comments because multiple members told you that you needed a tune, but you posted back about the MAF and ignored those comments. So if you really want help, then listen to what people said.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Waiting on the pinks and money for a tune, but there is something else wrong with the car itself.....tomorrow I am going to check for boost leaks,the grounds, coil packs, clean maf and see what that does

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Chicagoland area 1 hour west

As for the smarta** comments..I'm asking for help because I don't know jack sh*t about this car, cut me a little fricken slack and help me...
Thanks
They weren't smartass comments, FYI. We are genuinely trying to help you keep from blowing up your car. Everyone starts somewhere, we all understand that. The sad thing is we see many of these projects end up in failure BECAUSE they didn't ask for help in the first place. At least you're asking the questions.

We're serious BTW, don't drive that car until it has been properly tuned. As for your idling problem, it could very well be a leak, or it could be because you have a different intake, which throws off the MAF sensor, which throws off the fueling. That too needs to be properly scaled, which will be done along with the rest of the tuning.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
You are extremely dense. I'll tell you what is wrong with the car... it's been heavily modified and doesn't have a tune. Leave it alone... Don't drive it. You are going to blow the damned thing up.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
If the car is blowing black smoke and you feel it is running rich it is because it isnt running catalytic converters, your getting a CEL from the rear o2 sensor noticing the lack of cats making the car run richer, your leaning the car out running an intake, then richening it out running atmospheric bov, then lagging it running a fmic on a small turbo car, then going to make it worse by throwing bigger injectors into the mix.. even if your running a ported and polished td04 your not maxing out your stock injectors and probably arent that close to doing so.. STi pinks would help the tuner with a safety net but that will just max out your oem fuel pump..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With in the next week I'll have pinks and a tune... I still want to do a tune up and check a few things as I just bought the car 2 months ago. I appreciate all of the help

1 - 20 of 39 Posts