Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering how the hell im gonna test drive an sti. i dont knnow how to drive a stick yet ? any ideas .. even if i learned first i wouldnt feel comfortable with the dealer guy there incase i ****ed up .

·
Registered
71 Posts
where you at, i'll test drive for ya!:D just make sure you have the money. cause you will want one after wards.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
This is ridiculous.... you want to learn how to drive stick on a $30k car with 300hp? Go buy a $500 ****box and learn on that before you kill yourself in the STi. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
MidKnight said:
This is ridiculous.... you want to learn how to drive stick on a $30k car with 300hp? Go buy a $500 ****box and learn on that before you kill yourself in the STi. Thanks.
kill yourself, AND the tranny!

Seriously tho, don't worry about it. Go out and learn on a friend's car, and just practice! It takes a good deal of time to perfect driving stick, so you better start now! ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
kevinmac said:
i was wondering how the hell im gonna test drive an sti. i dont knnow how to drive a stick yet ? any ideas .. even if i learned first i wouldnt feel comfortable with the dealer guy there incase i ****ed up .
either you said this to get them riled up, or you meant it. either way, geez.

if you meant it, your statement speaks for itself. while i'm sure we appreciate your enthusiasm for this fine machine, i'm sure we'd also appreciate your getting a driving education through experience and/or schools before you become a statistic and drive up my insurance rates.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know some dealers won't even let anyone test drive the STi. But even if some dealers let you drive it, if you don't know how to drive a stick, I doubt you would get a lot out of the test drive anyway. I don't want to slam you but be realistic I guess it's what I am trying to say.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Seriously haveing any awd car as your first manual is a mistake. Everyone I know who got a wrx as their first manual has either tranny or diff problems of some sort. It takes many months of driving a stick before you are smooth. 2wd cars can take the jerky punishment you will put a car through while learning alot better then a awd car.

Im not saying you shouldnt get a sti but maybe you should look at buying a cheap ass manual car or borrowing one if thats an option for a couple of months before you screw up your new $30k car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
STi as your FIRST manual car?! You've got to be kidding me. Trust me, if you have to struggle through a test drive stalling and over revving, frankly, you don't BELONG in an STi at this point in your driving career. You'll be wasting your $30+g's on a car that you'll spend more time abusing than actually enjoying. I say grab a couple hundred and buy a beater and just learn the basics from there. If you're really SET on AWD, then by all means, DO NOT start off with an STi. Get a WRX(not it will be any better of a car to learn stick on, but whatever.) and take it easy from there.

-STiLL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hehe i was figuring this is the feedback i would get =) and its exactly what i need. i have a year to save for my first car and if i can get 10k i will be able to get an STI ( not that i should or will, just really want to ) becusae ill have alot of help from family. maybe i should invest a portion of that money into a crappy car that has manual so i can get good on it then save up a bit again and spring for the STI ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
kevinmac said:
...maybe i should invest a portion of that money into a crappy car that has manual so i can get good on it then save up a bit again and spring for the STI ?
Yup, sounds like a very smart plan to me. That way, you won't have to put your STi's drivetrain components through hell just from learning on it. Plus, what's a car mean to you if you can't even drive it decently, ya know. Wise choice.

-STiLL

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
kevinmac said:
Only in America.....anyways, as others above have suggested, consider buying an absolute beat car to practice driving. However, I do suggest you take some driving lessons as well and not ones from friends who are apparent "expert" drivers as you will likely pick up any bad habits/techniques they possess.

On a sidenote, I really think North American licenses should be segregated by manual/auto and auto-only. To be quite honest, many so called experienced manual drivers on the road(and sadly even on this board) struggle with driving manual properly.

When you first start off, I suggest you don't touch the gas at all but rather play with finding the friction point of the clutch. Perhaps something else that might help is looking at a schematic diagram of how things are linked up engine/drivetrain to get a visual mechanical idea of what must occur.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I sold my last S2000 to a 18 year old kid whos mama was buying it for him. He didnt even know how to drive a manual. I gave him the wheel and he immediatly started grinding the gears. I told him to pull over, I took the wheel and did the test drive for him. He bought the car :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: Re: NO testdrive if you cant drive a manual ?

schischwein said:
Perhaps something else that might help is looking at a schematic diagram of how things are linked up engine/drivetrain to get a visual mechanical idea of what must occur.
Any recommendations on this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
kevinmac said:
:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I stalled

I've been driving stick shift since I was 16 (22 now) and I did stall the STi on my test drive. First gear only and it was at a stoplight. The first gear feeling was way different then my Dodge Stealth pffft. after the first stall though I was ok.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Like some of the others have said, learn to drive stick on a less expensive/older car... Best bet is to ask a friend to teach you. You won't have to go through the grief if you majorly screw up.

However, I learned to drive a manual transmission on a brand new 2001 Audi S4, so it is possible. Clutch/tranny were fine when I returned it at the end of my lease... And half of that was chipped (~320hp). ;) It was a slow learning curve for the first month or two (stalled in a left turn lane 3 times, missing the turning arrow, and having a barrage of Los Angeles traffic honking at me... d'oh!), but you get better with more experience.

The best advice I ever received was to go to an empty parking lot, put the car in first, and make the car move forward using only the clutch (to get familiar with the engagement point). Then just start adding more gas from there, after you've learned it. Good luck. :)

-Mike-

·
Registered
3 Posts
don't feel to bad about stalling....

CreoWrx, don't feel to bad about your stall when you were learning - even if it is a little more embarassing in a performance car like the S4. Today - and I still laugh when I think of this - some old guy in a brand new (I think, had dealer tags, etc.) Carrera 4S, with a bumping sound system, was trying to 'thug it' downtown. Once he had everyones attention, the light turned green, and he lurched forward, stalled it in the middle of an intersection, and was almost rear-ended by the guy behind him.
Needless to say, his face turned SO red, and you know he could just tell that everyone was laughing at him. The funny thing about this is that he was trying to get attention, etc. (turned up music REALLY loud, bustin' out the 'gangsta' lean, giving that 'you all lookin' at me, i'm hot sheeyat' look) and then ended up clowning himself. Oh well. He drives a Porsche, I drive a pos family sedan (NOT a wrx, obviously ;-). Life goes on. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
ExRex: It's okay, I didn't feel too bad. After all, that was my 3rd time driving stick, and I had just picked up the S4 from the dealership an hour before... Unfortunately, I had to get the car and drive 45 miles back home. ;)

-Mike-

1 - 20 of 24 Posts