ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided the wagon was just getting too expensive. Not that it was bankrupting me, but it was just taking all of my spare money. And I'm sorry, but i decided that there are better ways to spend a few grand, than suping up my car.

So it's gone, but not forgotten. However, I am now the proud owner of a '99 2.5RS coupe, which I hopefully will be able to control modding. It's a little more of the bling blang right out of the factory, being a coupe and a bit sportier looking, and I was worried at first that it just would be a dog being down about 120awhp from the wagon. But with the lack of lag, decent torque, lower weight, and shorter gears, it's not bad with it's pickup. After the Mobil1 in the crankcase and Redline fuel system cleaner, seems like a whole new engine too. Look for pics in the exterior forum sometime soon!:wiggles:

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I could possibly be doing the same thing in a few months. (Getting rid of the WRX) Hope not, though!

Good luck with the new car!:)

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Good luck with it. I went the other direction: traded my '01 RS coupe for the WRX wagon. The absence of fold down rear seats (or even a passthru) and lack of top end power drove me nuts. It was a torque monster though, and a very fun "around town" car.

I think you're exaggerating the power difference though. Unless you were running a Stage 4 ;)

·
Registered
677 Posts
drop a WRX engine in it. You know you want to. Think of all the money you're saving with normal gas instead of premium. . . you must have the turbo!! repeat after me, need a turbo, need a turbo

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
OffRoadWagon said:
Well, I decided the wagon was just getting too expensive. Not that it was bankrupting me, but it was just taking all of my spare money. And I'm sorry, but i decided that there are better ways to spend a few grand, than suping up my car.

So it's gone, but not forgotten. However, I am now the proud owner of a '99 2.5RS coupe, which I hopefully will be able to control modding. It's a little more of the bling blang right out of the factory, being a coupe and a bit sportier looking, and I was worried at first that it just would be a dog being down about 120awhp from the wagon. But with the lack of lag, decent torque, lower weight, and shorter gears, it's not bad with it's pickup. After the Mobil1 in the crankcase and Redline fuel system cleaner, seems like a whole new engine too. Look for pics in the exterior forum sometime soon!:wiggles:
congrats on the new car. Nothing wrong with reconsidering your financial situation for the better.. I hope you enjoy the new car
my old buddy has a 98' 2.5 RS coupe with (short throw, header, exhaust, intake, pullies, wheels, tires, springs) just basic bolt on's and its a real fun car. Lots of torque, nice handling, and ran a 14.76 at the track. <<<< not bad

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
48,699 Posts
Re: Re: No more offroadwagon.

DTR rex said:
just basic bolt on's and its a real fun car. Lots of torque, nice handling, and ran a 14.76 at the track. <<<< not bad
Not bad at all, for an RS with basic stuff! I'll admit that it must be nice to have torque below 3000 rpm...:wiggles:

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Re: Re: Re: No more offroadwagon.

RayfieldsWRX said:
Not bad at all, for an RS with basic stuff! I'll admit that it must be nice to have torque below 3000 rpm...:wiggles:
man, I would love to have a car with lots of torque. My old maxima had lots of torque, but even with a beefed up, and quicker shifting trans, the automatic just didnt put the "torque feel" there. if it was a 5speed I am sure it would have been different.
then I had my GSR... nuff said
WRX has great mid-range torque, but the lag just sucks. I rode in an M3 and that thing pulled will full HP from 1.5 rpm until redline..< it was nice :D

ray - did you notice an increase in lag with the vf34? I hear mixed results... some mistake the extra power for more low torque, but I would imagine there is much more spool up time as compared with the the TD04

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
48,699 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: No more offroadwagon.

DTR rex said:
ray - did you notice an increase in lag with the vf34? I hear mixed results... some mistake the extra power for more low torque, but I would imagine there is much more spool up time as compared with the the TD04
I won't lie to you; there is more lag. Add 500-700 rpm to what you're accustomed to with the TD04. I've changed my driving style to match, and now I don't notice, because I'm keeping the revs up where the power's available, should I need it.

I look forward to the point when I can get my car tuned. I'm thinking that they can pull some of the lag out.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Wade-0 said:
Good luck with it. I went the other direction: traded my '01 RS coupe for the WRX wagon. The absence of fold down rear seats (or even a passthru) and lack of top end power drove me nuts. It was a torque monster though, and a very fun "around town" car.

I think you're exaggerating the power difference though. Unless you were running a Stage 4 ;)

So far it is pretty fun around town, and having torque is almost alien. I can drive around parking lots in 2nd gear, without feeling like I'm about to stall.:D

Yeah, I was guessing the hp difference. I was at Vishnu's stage 2. Using their numbers(300crank hp) and a 25% drivetrain loss for both vehicles(don't know what it is for the rs) 300*0.75=225 and 165*0.75=123.75 225-123.75=101.25hp difference. Not as much as I thought, but significant. Freeway on ramps are a bit different now, since I can't just pick and choose which spot to go in. But ahh well.

And GTScoob, you're evil:p As if those ideas aren't in my head enough as it is!! I was already checking out buying an auctioned STi v5 from Japan, shipping it over and swapping evertyhing that can be swapped. If alcoholism is a disease, so is this. :D

edit: sti v5 = stock 16g...*drools*

·
48,699 Posts
OffRoadWagon said:
sti v5 = stock 16g...*drools*
sti v5 + stock 16g + lightweight GC8 body = :eek3:

·
Registered
677 Posts
what about buying a wrecked STi and swapping the drivetrain over . . .

imagine having the DCCD and 2 doors!!

I think the swap would be completely US legal too since it is a motor from a newer model of the car.

If you just went with a normal EJ20 you could throw a VF29 on there and have a torque beast. It has almost no lag on my 4EAT, I dont even want to hear about you 5MT guys and no lag with it.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Re: Re: No more offroadwagon.

DTR rex said:
congrats on the new car. Nothing wrong with reconsidering your financial situation for the better.. I hope you enjoy the new car
my old buddy has a 98' 2.5 RS coupe with (short throw, header, exhaust, intake, pullies, wheels, tires, springs) just basic bolt on's and its a real fun car. Lots of torque, nice handling, and ran a 14.76 at the track. <<<< not bad
And the 98's made less low-end torque with the DOHC setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts