ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, so I decided to shift fast into 3rd as if I was racing but really I was going like 30mph. So it sounds like it is just spinning in there making a whole lot of rattling and ruckus. So that being said my question is, if I am not answering my own question correct me if I am wrong. The bearings or synchros for some reason took a **** and I need to replace them. Assuming this is the problem, would that mean I won't even need to replace the gear itself? Or, do I have to replace 3rd gear, bearings and synchros? Throwing this out here I know I need to take it apart to make any final decisions. Please educate me if I am not making any sense. Or tell me what could be wrong judging but what I have said. Thank you.

·
SuperNova
11,905 Posts
You now have thousands of little metal bits floating around in your tranny. If you drove it home and didnt tow it, these little pieces now have been able to cause damage. Your tranny now needs to be rebuilt. Once it is opened up, the rebuilder can get a better assessment of the damage. Sounds like you ate up the teeth off third, and since you drove it around probably screwed bearings, syncros and possibly other things up as well. Time to pony up some moolah.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well hopefully since i was about 200ft from my house it didnt do that much but PPG 1-4 bearings and synchros here i come :unhappy:

·
Registered
82 Posts
yea i would have to say you either did that or even broke a shift fork?? does your car still go it thired and fourth gears?

·
Registered
506 Posts
yea i would have to say you either did that or even broke a shift fork?? does your car still go it thired and fourth gears?
yeah i have broken a shift fork, i could use 1,2,5,and reverse. A pain in the rear, but it diddnt screw the whole transmition over

·
Registered
682 Posts
:baaa:

It's a blessing in disguise. Just take the opportunity to upgrade to PPG 1-4 gears.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Blessing my ass!
Well, I'm thinking he can just rebuild it with the same crappy stock components or look at it a bit more positively and take it as an opportunity to upgrade his ride. Either way he's gonna need to get his tranny rebuilt.

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
ooooo the humanity. that is awful. did u use metal scraps instead of tranny fluid. gonna go with the ppg's?

·
Registered
682 Posts
If the amount of power you're putting down is even close to what you have listed in your profile I would go with the PPGs.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
OMG after that pic the gear looks like someone filed it down! Gl with the repair

·
Registered
682 Posts
whoops no i have 285whp...450 is my goal
Well, even so, you might as well get prepared for it if you're gonna go that high.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts