Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, Bought a used 133k miles, 02 WRX wagon with a blown motor.
Installing a 2.5 STi. forged pistons, Hybrid cnc'd 2.0 heads...
Ok let’s pretend for s second that my transmission was babied and taking great care of.

How much power should i realistically tune to?
I want slightly tougher “real world dyno than stock WRX, nothing more.
I only really take corners. Not into, drag launching. Power shifting like a moron or making more power than I can control.
How much do you guys think this transmission at 133k miles can take, reliably?
I would really like to put this engine in and have the tranny last a year or more. atleast so I can have the cash to do the job.. .

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Just depends on how you drive it and how it's been driven in the past. Same idea with how a stock block can handle 450+hp reliably with a good tune and care.... Or crap out at 300hp. There really isn't a set number, but it isn't commonly believed to be much further past stock. Reliably, I'd say you are pushing it.

I'd just give it a go and see. Worst case scenario you have to replace it anyhow.

Some of the 02s did have a weaker tranny, but not postive on the extent of it. I wouldn't be surprised if the tranny already has a good bit of damage if the motor is blown =/

EDIT: Just thought I'd put a disclaimer on this one, I do not have, nor ever have owned an 02 WRX. What I know on this subject is just from trolling forums all day, so take it for what it is worth.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
What turbo are you planning on running? I drove a hybrid 02 with a vf22 that put down 306ft/lbs to the wheels on a VERY low reading Mustang dyno with an ACT HDSS clutch for over a year on stock gears with no problems.

When I pulled the gears to swap in my old cryo treated STi 5mt gearset the stock gears looked virtually brand new.

Personally, I wouldn't trust them much past 330ft/lbs, but you can get away with more than that if you drive it right.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No shaft play in my stocker TDO4 L for now. Till i soak up how much money this is costing me.
I havent really met many people that shift as good as me. I mostly learned from racing sport bikes. "cant press it to hard in a corner on one of those, you'll loose the tail. I like to use the transmissoin, not abuse it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roughly, how much hp can i realisticly expect out of this turbo on a hybrid 2.5?

Note: yes Running 650cc DW's and a walbro

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
twistymaster said:
Roughly, how much hp can i realisticly expect out of this turbo on a hybrid 2.5?

Note: yes Running 650cc DW's and a walbro
Depends on the dyno. That's going to have a pretty crappy powerband for how much $$ you've spent. I understand the budget issue, but would swap out for something bigger ASAP...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont expect much anyhow, Not really into racing , like I said.
Just wanted to build a slightly Higher performing engine then stock , with slightly better off boost torque XD.
I was going to spend 10k on a WRX wagon with 115 000 miles, and hope that it stays together.
I got lucky in finding a complete wagon shell that had 133k and a rod knock for 4k and a ass load of suspension parts,new tires, BBS STI Wheels, etc. etc. . .
All im waiting on now is sending my heads off for CNC and a valve job "ouch" ****in 900 more bucks
then scrounging the cash for 1 cv axle and a clutch plate.
OH yea, and 500 bucks for a tune.
Dont have a JOB at the moment. . .
And I went a lil over my budget.
My reading of these forums has convinced me to send my heads off for service. Cause I beleive the quench area is important for the efficient burning of fuel, and I really care about gas mileage on my performance STREET CAR. . .

·
Registered
539 Posts
There is no chart stating how much power or type of driver it takes to break gears. Build your car and be ready to replace just in case. If you can't afford that then drive like a normal person till you can. If you've got money like that then beat away on the trans.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts