Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boost with nitrous

Is their a EBC that you can setup to change your max boost for each gear? I am running a 50 shot, but do not want to spray in 1st and 2nd. So, I want to run 15psi in 1st and 2nd and then when I spray have the boost drop to about 13psi because with the nitrous it will spike up around 2psi, therefore keeping a max boost of 15 the whole run. Just want to keep my boost levels safe since I'm using stock turbo, fuel, and ecu.
I don't want to spray in 1st or 2nd to go easy on the tranny or should I just spray the whole way at 13psi? Or would it be ok to run 15 and have it spike to 17.
I'm new to nitrous and any opinions would be great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
nitrous on boost ?

Im thinking about adding a 50 shot, but am concerned. I had the Zex kit on my last car, but was wondering if the set up would be any different on a turbo charged application. Also what kits do you guys(and girls) run?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd certainly recommend a wet kit on any forced induction vehicle. The forced air taxes the fuel system enough that you don't want to rely on the fuel injectors to supply that much more fuel.

I have the Nitrous Express kit, while plenty of others have the NOS brand kit.

The Zex is a dry manifold kit, so I wouldn't recommend it on the WRX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with phast.

Get a Wet kit. When trying to add a dry kit to Forced induction motor, that all ready has a 1:1 fuel pressure regulator, Fuel rail pressures can get out of hand in a hurry.

Also a Wet kit will "Hit" Harder then a dry kit because it is controlling the N2O and the fuel. The best would be a direct port system, but they really are only needed for shots over 100hp. For a 50 shot.. as single fogger kit will work great.

I perfer the NX kits because all of there products are big and beefy. Their solnoids come with a lifetime warrenty one them. NOS does not.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
bleah....nitrous - the fastest way to a blown motor

nitrous is a racing thing. i have yet to speak to a mechanic who'd reccomend it...unless you want to make his boat payments. Nitrous is for drag applications on racing cars that you don't drive around town. Drag cars get complete motor tear-dows and rebuilds every few races (they also usually blow motors every few races). unless you have a pit crew and your WRX is strictly a race car you're begging to start taking the bus to work.

of course it goes without saying that any damage you do to your motor with nitrous won't be covered under ANY warany so you're on your own, and those things ain't cheap.

I'm sure there are people on here that use their nitrous responsibly, and know what they're doing....but there are many more that don't. and when testosterone wins over common sense, just think how cool you'll feel with your brand new laminated bus pass waiting at the corner for the bus to take you to work so you can make your mechanic's boat payment while your car's in the shop.

·
2,210 Posts
Let's get one thing straight: Nitrous Oxide is simply a means to increase the charge density (specifically O2) within your combustion chambers. In it's primary function it serves EXACTLY the same purpose as a turbocharger. It ALSO has a nice side effect of significantly cooling the charge (the liberated Nitrogen is COLD). One could validly claim that Nitrous is in fact safer than using a turbocharger.

The only peril stems from the fact that it is extremely easy to change Nitrous jets and run a bigger shot; one that might exceed the capability of your motor and/or drivetrain. In contrast, it's not quite so trivial (or cheap) to swap turbochargers on a whim.

Let's refrain from needlessly perpetuating anti-Nitrous hysteria. If you have first hand experience with motor damage that was directly caused through appropriate application of Nitrous, then please relay the experience.

-Pace

·
Registered
295 Posts
Nitrous

Here we go again! After all the advice on getting nitrous or avoiding it..the common denominator that I see is that nitrous doesn't blow the engine, it's the driver's fearlessness. Anyway, I like to think of it as: if you blow something up that bad, you probably deserve it. I think that I'm one of those people that deserve it...anyway, I think no matter what mod it is, nitrous/up-pipes/boost controllers, etc....if it's a mod, it still reduces the life of the car's intent. For some, maybe nitrous is a quicker way there. For others, it's driving too fast around a turn, for another crowd it could be countless clutch replacements for auto-x and related harsh driving. That's just my opinion...fast is fast, but broken is broken....it can go either way...

·
2,210 Posts
Exactly. You wouldn't expect to be able to run a 20G turbo on a WRX with a stock fuel system, so why would you (hypothetical you) expect to be able to run a 100-shot safely...

Big power mods are big power mods. By their nature, they are inherently dangerous to the safety and longevity of your motor and transmission, especially when not supported by adequate fueling and timing management. It doesn't really matter from whence the power originates.

-Pace

·
Registered
17 Posts
i know a lot of really fast wrxs that run nitrous. with bigger turbos it eliminates lag and nitrous creates more torque than hp, which the wrx really needs down low. if you arent a dedicated drag racer (stip only mind you :) ) then i really dont see a need.

·
2,210 Posts
Well look at it this way. You might think you want 400HP all the time, but your transmission and running gear may disagree and will be much happier on 300HP, with the extra 100 available at the flick of a switch only as needed to overtake or to drop that Z-06 that is shadowing you.

Contrary to what many of us might believe, we probably really don't want a 400HP+ daily driver unless we commute less than 10 miles a day. There are real driveability issues to contend with once you get into those kinds of power levels. I think Nitrous deserves more credit as a practical daily solution.

-Pace

·
Registered
35 Posts
I put my NOS-50 kitin the other week and have enjoyed it so far. I've only been through one bottle. I'm not refilling it until my exhaust come in from AVO...I just don't like running the stuff with a cat in front of the Turbo....

I'm never changing the jet and will stay with a 50 shot...I think that is safe;) We'll see...I do know that it makes onramps and offramps so much more fun :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
How is the NOS abusive to the tranny in 1st and 2nd? As long as you aren't dropping the clutch it should not be a problem...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Its n20, not NOS. Please... this isn't the Fast and the Furious Forums.

·
2,210 Posts
What turbo are you running to make 15psi in first?? I know that it's not possible with my setup (SBC i-D & VF30).

The AVC-R has the capability to do rpm and speed mapped boost. That's probably your best bet.

Personally, I set my SBC i-D to give me a ~17psi peak in 4th when spraying Nitrous. This nets me around 14psi in first. Contrary to conventional hysteria, err, I mean wisdom, the Nitrous only causes a 1psi to 1.5psi spike if you have a good quality EBC.

-Pace

·
Registered
35 Posts
JimmyNY said:
Its n20, not NOS. Please... this isn't the Fast and the Furious Forums.
get bent a$$hole, I have a Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS) kit...sorry to have offended your forum pallete :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: Boost with nitrous

TURBLOWN said:
Is their a EBC that you can setup to change your max boost for each gear? I am running a 50 shot, but do not want to spray in 1st and 2nd. So, I want to run 15psi in 1st and 2nd and then when I spray have the boost drop to about 13psi because with the nitrous it will spike up around 2psi, therefore keeping a max boost of 15 the whole run. Just want to keep my boost levels safe since I'm using stock turbo, fuel, and ecu.
I don't want to spray in 1st or 2nd to go easy on the tranny or should I just spray the whole way at 13psi? Or would it be ok to run 15 and have it spike to 17.
I'm new to nitrous and any opinions would be great.
I may be wrong, but if the nitrous is post turbo, it doesnt matter if it spikes for the engine can boost well beyond 17 psi, so lowering the boost to 13 would be IMO, pointless, but I could be wrong.

Jimmy, its actually n2o, not n20. Two molecules of oxygen 'o', to one nitrogen 'n' is the way it comes. n20 is one nitrogen, and 20 molecules of nothing.

·
2,210 Posts
I wouldn't recommend lowering your boost significantly to run Nitrous. A reduction in peak boost of 4 to 5psi would offset a significant portion of the gains from your 50-shot.

Turblown: What kind of spiking have you observed when spraying Nitrous? What boost control are you utilizing? Like I said; I never see 15psi in first gear regardless of the Nitrous.

-Pace

·
Registered
35 Posts
It is post turbo, i have my nozzle plumbed into the rubber piping between the intercooler and throttle body...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hate to be a nit, but, n2o is two nitrogen and one oxygen, no2 is one nitrogen and two oxygen. Actually you would want to use caps and the numbers are subscripts.

What does the ECU do when injecting the nitrous? I would think the only effect will be the ECU will not pull timing as early because detonation is delayed by the nitrous? Does the ECU automatically reduce the boost to compensate or is the boost level set independently of other effects when in open loop (ECU mode at full throttle)? Obviously, if you are also running an MBC/EBC then this does not apply. Just curious.

·
2,210 Posts
The ECU does nothing special when you are on the Nitrous except it would pull the timing if knock is detected. This is the reason we use a wet shot, so that the EMS is not relied upon to compensate with adequate fueling (which the stock ECU won't do).

Dinitrogen Oxide (aka Dinitrogen Monoxide aka Hyponitrous acid anhydride). As Portablevcb correctly stated; 2 Nitrogen and 1 Oxygen atom combine to form a covalent bond.

N=N=O

N02 on the other hand is Nitrogen Dioxide. It is a stinky brown gas otherwise known as SMOG!!

-Pace

1 - 20 of 23 Posts