ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I dug up a few old posts about people running nitrous along with their turbos, and having success doing so. Is it alright for the motor to do this?? I just put a old version PE1820 and saw a few people runnning 50shots along with the 1820 and hitting high 11's on a stock usdm 2.0 engine. Anyone have any success with using nitrous and have any pointers. Also would it be more stressfull on a engine to run say a FP Green and make almost 400 whp all the time, or run a slightly smaller turbo on less boost along with a small shot and make 400 whp only when you want some of the time?? My buddies camaro will be in high 11's in the spring, and so it would be awesome if I could get tuned safely to run a small shot along with my 1820. Im doing a RA gear set and a better clutch before spring as well. What size injectors would I probably need?? I think I read of Az running pinks with his old set up?? Well any thoughts or ideas would be awesome, Thanx in advance guys!

Don

·
Registered
293 Posts
From all the info I have come across, I have heard that anything above 350whp on the stock usdm wrx block is a ticking time bomb. Does this mean that everyone that has 350+whp on the stock block has had engine damage? no. But your days with a happy engine are numbered. You are better off picking up a used ver 7 or 8 STI block and starting from there at least than you have the piece of mind that the block will take a little more of a beating. As far as nitrous goes I would imagine that the WRX would respond very well to a 50 shot. How long that is safe for the stock block, like I said above is a matter of opinion. most of the old timers that were running nitrous on stock blocks have since been left with low compression and forced to swap blocks, so draw your own conclusion there.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
it's a popular move when you live at susbstantial altitude to help get the PRs up to where the sea level guys would be at with just a big turbo.

assuming a proper tune, i'd be more worried about your tranny going first. that's a lot of power on the stock gears.

nitrous is typicall a great power adder to a F/I ready engine though, b/c you're already at such low compression, and it has a cooling effect which can help with detonation. again, the tune is really the lynchpin to success here.

·
Registered
331 Posts
not to hijack the thread but anyone out there try and run a big turbo and run the nitrous line to the exhaust impeller, like they use to do in F1?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
yeah, I would keep the 1820 and run high HP "some" of the time instead of all. Make sure you keep the NO2 shot small, and make sure that you have the tranny to support it. Stock clutch will let go almost instantly when you spray often, it's VERY hard on it.

key to running it safely:

TUNING TUNING TUNING TUNING!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
11.2 ET on a stock motor/trans....big turbo and no2. OEM clutch sometimes lets loose, but if you launch right, it'll grab. The 3rd gear and #3 con-rod will break at that point. If the clutch gives up, or your tires spin and you hit the rev-limiter...no2 better cut off. Blown head gaskets will result. Ask me how I know. A good/safe no2 set-up is expensive. One step cooler plugs are good, and plenty of octane. I used Sunoco Red Max #5, NOS blend to slow down flame. I also inject methanol to further cool EGTs, and raise octane even more.

On another note, I am building my 4th motor for this next year at the drag strip. I bought a 2.2 closed deck for only $1400, and my only change will be to add Crower Pro Con-rods, out of my current motor. Are the v8/v7 blocks fully closed? Oil Squirters? Why don't people just build their own motors instead of ordering expensive JDM stuff? 1993 Legacy turbo block looks plenty strong to me, and the cheap price is nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts