Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone compared the Nissan SER Spec-V to the WRX? By the SCCA they have been given the same class, but the Spec-V goes for about 7k less, off the lot.

It's a relatively new addition to the NA lineup for Nissan, and seems to be taking many things from the (justifiably, imho :) ) touted Skyline series.

It's FWD, 2.5L DOHC I6, 175 horsepower and 180 lb-ft at 2713 lbs. Good review at http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/02sentra_se-r.htm

Has anyone seen one of these around? It is definitely an entusiast's car ... I would like to know how they compare to the WRX.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
I personally like the new Sentras a lot, but they're a 4-cylinder car, not a 6. Nevertheless, they're pretty quick and I personally like how they look :) I wouldn't trade my Rex for one though...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Verdugo said:
I personally like the new Sentras a lot, but they're a 4-cylinder car, not a 6. Nevertheless, they're pretty quick and I personally like how they look :) I wouldn't trade my Rex for one though...

did the WRX grow a couple over the last couple of months. Last time I looked it had 4 cylinders

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Nope, I was correcting bmh_ca's post :)

It's FWD, 2.5L DOHC I6, 175 horsepower and 180 lb-ft at 2713 lbs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:eek: Whoops - that wasn't a misquote - it was an error on the page I got the specs from.

The SER Spec-V is an I-4. Beefy, but I-4, nonetheless. And no turbo. :) A lot lighter than a WRX, though. I wonder how that makes the comparison for off-the-line and top-end ...

·
895 Posts
Verdugo said:
Nevertheless, they're pretty quick and I personally like how they look :) I wouldn't trade my Rex for one though...
thats the same attitude i see many wrx owners, including me, tend to have. i love my car so much other cars may look nice, but i'd NEVER trade my wrx in for one, unless it was the sti version, or the wrc version :D

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
mmmmmmm....WRC version...heh

Heh damn those errors on spec sheets! You'd think the webmaster who put those specs up would've caught that :)

In any case, I too wonder who would win in the top end...just imagine if you put a turbo in :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
The Spec V was one of the vehicles I was seriously considering before I bought my WRX. The car was excellent during the test drive. Lots of low end grunt, stiff suspension that needs no tuning for the autocross and I really like the idea of a Limited Slip Diff being offered standard. I feel if I would have bought one I wouldn't have been dissapointed. But I'm so happy I bought a WRX wagon instead. Nothing compares to a Subaru WRX. The only threat to my WRX would be if Ford had the balls to release a Turbocharged AWD Focus. I would like to see them release a vehicle like the SVT Focus, but with a Turbo and AWD. That would have made that car perfect in my eyes. But Ford doesn't have the nuggets so I will have my WRX for a very long time.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The Spec-V weigh in at about 2730-lbs., the WRX Sedan at 3080 lbs., so that's a 350 lb difference. However, the WRX is bigger and has 50 more HP than the Spec-V. AWD and a turbocharging system are responsible for the extra weight, but these two factors allow the WRX to trounce the Spec-V in the 1/4 mile and get far enough away by 120 mph that the Sentra Driver would have to give up. From a roll at say 80mph, the superior aerodynamics, better gearing, and lighter weight might allow the Spec-V to pull harder to 140mph than the WRX. What you have to ask next is, "Why the hell am I going 140mph?"

However, in an autocross competition, a stock Spec V would make a Stock WRX look stupid. It's lighter, stiffer, and easier to balance in transitions.

I tried to race a Spec-V on my way home from work they other day, must've been new because the kid wasn't interested in getting his ass kicked that day. ;)

BTW, Nissan is my second favorite car company. I want a 350Z REALLY bad!

-Jim

bmh_ca said:
[BThe SER Spec-V is an I-4. Beefy, but I-4, nonetheless. And no turbo. :) A lot lighter than a WRX, though. I wonder how that makes the comparison for off-the-line and top-end ... [/B]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey alright! My cars still 40lbs lighter then the Spec-V and my cars a turbo AWD with alot more hp. You guys should check out the new Pulsar sold in Japan. Its a N/A FWD setup with the same starting power as the WRX. The SR20DET guys borrow the valve spring retainers off of them because the stock units are titanium and cost $120 for the whole setup. Much cheaper then aftermarket.

·
Registered
223 Posts
...keep in mind, the Spec V is also a good $7,000 less than the WRX. Nothing else comes close to offering the same performance and goodies in that price range.

I'd take a WRX over a Spec V in a heartbeat, but the Nissan is definitely a tremendous value.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lighter...Yes...less power...by a landslide...but...stiffer...I beg to differ. Stock vehicles do not come more rigid them the WRX. Have you ever looked at the body cage on this thing...we are built like an Abrams TANK!

There has been a Spec V running at the illegals here in Sactown and it is not too impressive. It has been getting smacked around by the little Hondas.

Bang for the buck and decent looks. I like the Spec V...but I would spend the 7g's on the WRX and run with it.

Just my honest opinions...!

Andy:cool:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Also may I add...
I've seen numerous dynos for the spec V and the car puts out anywhere between high 130s to low 140s to the ground...not too impressive for a fwd car (compared to our awd drivetrain loss).

·
Registered
129 Posts
SE-R's..

my brother has one of the new SE-R, its not the spec V model but non the less, for a stock car its fast, do not underestimate this car, i have a WRX and no he can not beat me, but just crusing around and unless i am running in a low gear he can get ahead for a little bit.. HA HA.. as far as racing HONDA's so far they have been no match for his car unless they are running NOS, so if there is one running around where SACTOWNREXMAN lives someone needs to show that kid how to drive..:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually, I am pretty sure the new Spec-V has a multi-link suspension at the rear with polyurethane bushings, meaning it would almost certainly be better around the corners at high speeds (less camber than MacPherson struts, although I have yet to identify what lower L-arms are and what the rear parallel link is, on a WRX).

The poly bushings are less notable except that they are "special" (as in Porshe, Skyline, etc. special), but not really comparable to regular rubber bushings in the case of a WRX since the WRX has liquid (oil?) filled rubber bushings. The point rather is that poly bushings (perhaps like liquid filled bushings) indicates engineer's decisions over marketing, since poly's are superior in every way except price (and they can squeak in rain :) ).

Mind you, these are technical comparisons. I would really like to hear the comparison by people who have driven both. Certainly the Spec-V is not a drag car, nor an off-the-line car. It seems to be geared towards ... people who like the Dragon's Tail. ;)

SACTOWNREXMAN said:
Lighter...Yes...less power...by a landslide...but...stiffer...I beg to differ. Stock vehicles do not come more rigid them the WRX. Have you ever looked at the body cage on this thing...we are built like an Abrams TANK!

There has been a Spec V running at the illegals here in Sactown and it is not too impressive. It has been getting smacked around by the little Hondas.

Bang for the buck and decent looks. I like the Spec V...but I would spend the 7g's on the WRX and run with it.

Just my honest opinions...!

Andy:cool:

·
Registered
129 Posts
SER's...

well this is the best i can do, not sure how much different the SPEC-V is to the SE-R other than the extra 10HP it has, i know its got bigger tires etc... now for a track car i prefer his over my WRX. see my last car was a older model SE-R and loved it, seems i am still learning how the WRX handles after all most a year after i bought it, i have trouble controling the boost, and i have tried many settings with the MBC to try and fix this but to no avail. now for a drag car no doubt the WRX, my brothers SE-R has alot of torque steer off the line, makes the car feel loose on start, around town the main thing missing is the usable RPM's over the previous SE-R, the new one has more TQ but it runs out quick, now this is where i think the SPEC-V would do better with the 6spd..it handles great and if i had not bought my WRX there is no doubt that the SPEC-V would have been my car of choice..now wait a couple more months when NISMO gets here and i will let you know what i think of his car then...:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
A guy here at work is looking at both WRX and Spec V. One day after lunch, I floored my rex going from 10 to up about 60 or so. All he said was "woah, this is pulls a lot harder then the Spec V that I test drove." Now he is looking to buy a WRX :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts