ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am thinking of buying one of these as a track car, I don't know much about em, and i wanted to know if yall could give me some advice as to what to look for when buying one, ior what yall know about them.
Here is what i know:
all of them that came to the unitedstates are 4cylinder N/A RWD with an IRS Either Manual or Automatic is available.
there are two versions of the 240
the S13 and S14
I think the S13 was in productiion from 89-94 and the S14 was in production from then till 99
What are other differences then just the way they look B/W the S13 and S14? Are the S14s going to be a better handling/lighter car? I was not planing on driving the car on the street, so i will probably gut it, loose the ac and seats, and install a roll cage.
I am thinking my budget for buying one at this moment will be b/w 3,000 and 4,000 I have seen them in this price range, and much cheaper.. Would it be better to buy one with the SR20 swap? or do it myself? I am pretty good with a wrench, and i would not be afraid of taking this swaop on myself... Anyone got any advice as to another car in the same price range that would be a good track car? I was also thinking about miatas...:wiggles:
Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
C'mon someone has got to be able to help me out with this, or give me there two sense or something....:(

·
Registered
948 Posts
I don't know anything about them. I'd suggest hitting up some Nissan forums. I'm willing to bet there are tons dedicated to the 240.

I also read somewhere that swapping for the sr20 is kinda dumb since your decreasing dispacement by doing so. Yes, I know many do this which would show contrary.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Was just reading your post again. Miata's are fun as long as your racing against other miatas. Otherwise, they are very slow, handle well, but you'll get bored really fast unless your driving in the spec miata class or auto-x with it.

I think the 240 would be an interesting track car by the way, was just thinking about it the other day. Relatively cheap platform to start with (3-4 k for a car in running condition is good). Its a popular car so the aftermarket has got to be plentyful and not too pricey.

And after you soop it up, maybe throw on some aerodynamics, it isn't a bad looking car.

My thoughts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My friend has a 240, so i'll tell you what ive learned :

S14 has two diff front ends. One has more of a "strawberry" look to it, and the other has a rounder look to it. I cant really explain it you have to see it. Some S14's have LSDs on them, others dont. I think it's the LE model that has the LSD.

As for the SR20DET swap... it's awesome whenyou get it to work, but my friend is having a hell of a time getting his reliable.

I've been in the car with the original engine and the SR20, and both ways, its a nice affordable sports car. I'd get one for track duty if I had the time/patience to fix it up myself.

Anyway, here's a good site for info on the car in general
http://30moons.com/Nissan240SXIndex.php

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THX for the advice guys, I am pretty sure i wil be goimg 240, Reliability is no big deal as tghe car will never really see the street, just a track car, as i have a nice truck to tralier it and drive around daily. I understand what you are saying about the lower displacement sr20, but that is sorta like comparing the WRX's 2.0 to the RS2.5 i think... just cant be done. I would like to do this with a WRX, but like i said i only got like 4k to play with at the moment. If i waited like two years i could get a wrx or srt-4 but by tghen i could probably get a C5 or forsure a C4 so i dunno... I was thinking along the same lines about the Miata. What about DSMs? are they just for drag racing? How do they handle? I know a little more abou tthem than the 240s. Any thoughts?:confused:

·
Registered
677 Posts
There have been a couple posts about this topic lately.

I've got three friends with 240s. The main difference is that the S13s are lighter but have a less stiff chassis.

If you are going to swap it do it yourself. Also look into RB25 swaps not just SR20 swaps. One friend has the RB, another the SR, and the third is getting an SR in a couple weeks. The RB costs more and requires more custom stuff to install but it is a great motor, my friend even gets really good gas mileage with his.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GTScoob said:
There have been a couple posts about this topic lately.

I've got three friends with 240s. The main difference is that the S13s are lighter but have a less stiff chassis.

If you are going to swap it do it yourself. Also look into RB25 swaps not just SR20 swaps. One friend has the RB, another the SR, and the third is getting an SR in a couple weeks. The RB costs more and requires more custom stuff to install but it is a great motor, my friend even gets really good gas mileage with his.
One question ghow heavy is the RB? I was thinking about just putting a LS-1 in it, I fiigure sense it seems u got to modify the driveshaft and crossmember to put in a RB, might aswell see how much of a weight difference there is b/w that and a LS1+T-56. LS1= about 450-500HP at the crank with headers,cam, noexhaust, and other boltons... I was just curious, because LS1's can be had for like 3500 or less, and that seems to be the going rate on these RB motors... I just weould not wana shoehorn in the LS1 if it weighed more than the RB.. :wiggles:

·
Registered
677 Posts
the RB weighs about 100 lbs more I think. His car handles very well with Eibach springs and KYB struts. If you run race coilovers you should be able to compensate for the weight shift. I've heard that most professional drivers cannot really tell that big of a difference between an RB25 car and an SR20 or KA24 car.

Throughout the 90s the RB25DET was the most modified motor in Japan from what I've been told. Every company makes a host of parts for it (much like the LS-1 over here). The engine can easily do 9000 revs stock and has plenty of potential. A built RB25 will redline at around 13000. The motor is very very torquey at low revs and just keeps pulling all the way to redline. IMO an LS-1 would be too torquey for a 240 because they already are a fishtail/drift happy car and that paired with a bunch of torque would make for a crazy ride.

The RB25 is fairly well built from the factory. It is a turbo car so it has a lot of potential with basic boltons. My friend has an intake and FMIC on it and I believe he just put on a full exhaust. He tunes it with an S-AFC and is looking at turbo upgrades right now. I'm really curious what an FP green or GT30R will do on this motor. I'd imagine that it would spool similarly to an STi but do not know whether it would be quicker or slower spool time because of the different cylinders.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The rb is basically the engine in the skyline correct? I-6 turbo... Or is it in the Sylvia?
Could you get some picsw of urr friends 240? I would love to see it. I dont realyl think i need that much power in the car at all, I think most of my money will probably be spent on suspension and lots of weight reduction. I will probably just do the SR20 swap as like i said i don't know if i would really want that much power, I think 350 HP would be awesome for the car, maybee i am wrong... your tyhouights?
Btw when you talk aboput spull up similar to the STi are you meaning insanely quick like it, Whe i rode in a STi that was one of the first things i noticed was how quick the boost came on, and also how much harder it pulled than the impreza we testdrove not 30 seconds earlier. It was unbelievable, oooh it hurts to thinkabout it, make me want one real bad :(

·
Registered
677 Posts
The RB25DET is from the R33 Skyline GTS-T. It is a rear drive engine and tranny and bolts into the 240 body with minor mods.

I dont really have any pics but if you search around the swap is getting to be fairly common though still less common than an SR20.

My friend's motor was putting down 210 hp/ and matching torque to the ground while leaking compression on two cylinders. He got that fixed (worn out O-rings and head gasket) but has not dynoed it since then.

350 HP (I dont know if you mean crank HP or WHP) is very easy to come about with these motors. His car spools up very quickly and the boost doesnt really hit you that hard it just keeps ramping up power gradually. You can make that kind of power with an SR20 easily but six cylinders rocks and so does less lag.

Search the internet for McKinney Motorsports and Night7Racing. They both do a lot of work with RB swaps.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
will do the search, I just watched like four initial-D episodes, so i am like all ramped up on drifting LOL :eek: :eek3:
wow initial D is sooo much fun lol :D
I now want a S-14 soo bad, wish i had more money so i could buy all of the suspension crap and motor swaps now...:( I think i found a S-14 i willl get the link, as soon as all the mods on my truck are sold i think i will give the guy a call..:wiggles:
Any of you have an opinion on this car, baring that i have not seen it yet, it looks like a pretty good deal, I dont mind the body damag, as that is what i sorta do for a living/job, so i may buy this if it is around in a few weeks when i sale all of these damn mods..
Edit:
there is the link:
linky to 240

·
Registered
677 Posts
Vette Dude said:
will do the search, I just watched like four initial-D episodes, so i am like all ramped up on drifting LOL :eek: :eek3:
wow initial D is sooo much fun lol :D
Yeah, the RB will drift quite easily. The first time my friend pushed it around a turn it spun out and he bent a rim. Now he's the uber-sleeper with one mismatched stock rim along with his chipped front bumper . . .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts