Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subaru’s NA President Tom Doll just announced:

Motor Authority said:
Subaru previously hinted it may kill off the manual transmission in the name of safety, but Subaru North America CEO Tom Doll has alleviated enthusiasts' fears; the next-generation Subaru WRX will still offer a manual transmission.

He made the comments during an interview with Drive, published this Wednesday. "We’ll still have manual transmissions in our performance line like for the WRX, but just not in the Forester," Doll said.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1116141_next-subaru-wrx-will-still-offer-manual-transmission

·
Registered
586 Posts
:wiggles:

·
Registered
338 Posts
How is a manual trans a threat to safety?

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The issue was potentially, that with a manual and the 2022 NHTSA requirement that all vehicles can come to an AEB (automatic emergency brake) to a full stop, what do you do with a clutched manual.

Mazda was the first to figure this out (economically). My wife’s DD, a 2017 Mazda 3 GT with the technology package, will brake to a complete stop. It fails to apply the clutch, so big deal the car stalls. Of course, could be re-started within a second if needed, but this way if one is not paying attention, the Mazda will prevent one from rear ending the car in front of them — thereby already meeting the 2022 AEB requirement.

Guess that Subaru will do likewise.

·
Registered
403 Posts
This is awesome news! Good for Subaru!!!

....Mazda was the first to figure this out (economically)...
No surprise there. Mazdas are very nice vehicles. Now that they're finally adding some power (turbo in the Mazda 6 with 310 ft/lbs!), they're going to sell some cars.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,591 Posts
Many cars kill the engine when the car is at a stop anyway. Everything from Merc to Fiat does this and it's a good idea since we are still stuck with petrol engines (a bad idea -- so the more good ones we have to help us out, the better). This means auto-stop to avoid a collision isn't inherently incompatible with manual gearboxes; the engine will simply re-start when the clutch is disengaged.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Many cars kill the engine when the car is at a stop anyway...This means auto-stop to avoid a collision isn't inherently incompatible with manual gearboxes; the engine will simply re-start when the clutch is disengaged.
This makes too much sense. I guess the Feds are concerned about the lurching a car makes when the wheels are spinning too slowly, during extreme braking, for the current gear. Quickly stalling the motor during hard braking would eliminate this, though. At this point I would think the transmission would create drag, helping to slow the car more quickly. However, I'm no mechanical engineer.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn, we just learned today that the next gen WRX will NOT offer a hatch.

Subaru, why are you stupidly doing this to so many of us for a second generation.

You just lost a sale because of this bad decision.

LeftLaneNews said:
Next Subaru WRX to keep stick, but no hatchback planned

April 7, 2018, 9:06 am
by Ronan Glon

The next-generation WRX could go hybrid, too.
Subaru has shot down rumors claiming the next-generation WRX won't offer a manual transmission. The stick is on its way out of the brand's line-up, but it will live on in its sportier models for at least one more generation.

"We'll still have manual transmissions in our performance line like for the WRX," Tom Doll, the CEO of Subaru's North American division, told Australian website Drive. He added the option will no longer be offered on the Forester, however.

Enthusiasts can breathe a sigh of relief. Expected to arrive in 2020, the next-generation WRX and WRX STI models will carry on with a manual transmission (or an optional continuously variable transmission) and a turbocharged four-cylinder engine. Separate reports claim both models will receive an evolution of the 2.4-liter flat-four introduced in the seven-seater Ascent crossover. The mill could make 330 horsepower in its most powerful configuration.

Design-wise, Subaru's next hot rods will borrow styling cues from the VIZIV Performance concept (pictured) introduced at last year's edition of the Tokyo auto show. Both will ride on the modular platform also found under the latest Impreza and Forester models. They'll launch as four-door sedans; the hatchback variant won't return in the foreseeable future.

"We don't have plans to bring back a WRX hatch to the market," affirmed Mamoru Ishii, Subaru's head of design, in an interview with Digital Trends.
https://www.leftlanenews.com/next-subaru-wrx-to-keep-stick-but-no-hatchback-planned-100262.html

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
Probably to maximize sales of the crosstrek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
Probably to maximize sales of the crosstrek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like the Crosstrek. If they'd throw a turbo in there I'd be on it in a heartbeat. (Or an Outback that goes 0-60 in under 6 seconds...)

·
Æternum
15,546 Posts
There's always speculation, but if we've learned anything over the last 1.5 decades, Subaru tends to play close to the vest on product launch. We won't know anything about the next gen car until it is released.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Separate reports claim both models will receive an evolution of the 2.4-liter flat-four introduced in the seven-seater Ascent crossover.
Hmmmm. This would be interesting.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Just FYI in 2013 Subaru sold ~8000 WRX sedans and 8000 hatches, and 2000 STI sedans and 1000 hatches.

Subaru WRX Wagon Not Likely

I'm not a huge hatch fan, but I can see the appeal there and don't really see why they wouldn't consider it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts