ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking. after uppipe and down pipe what would be the next under hood mod? was thinking it might be turbo upgrade time but wanted some input.

currently....
greddy ebc
aem intake cai
hks cat back

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh ok I remember reading that. was thinking of a vf22 as I heard that would do pretty good.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Well I am by far no expert with turbo's. However if I am guessing right the vf22 is a quicker spooling turbo, for quicker boosting in low RPM range.

Like i said though. I don't know much about turbo. Just going with a good guess.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
SubaruWRX2k4 said:
Well I am by far no expert with turbo's. However if I am guessing right the vf22 is a quicker spooling turbo, for quicker boosting in low RPM range.

Like i said though. I don't know much about turbo. Just going with a good guess.
the VF22 is a bigger turbo for more top end power, meaning it spools later than the stock turbo.

my suggestion? Remove the CAI, the EBC, sell them, but a downpipe, up-pipe and and ECU upgrade such as the ones suggested. This make a big difference you can here and feel.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"my suggestion? Remove the CAI, the EBC, sell them, but a downpipe, up-pipe and and ECU upgrade such as the ones suggested"

please tell why? cai back to stock? ebc back to stock?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Basically the CAI without supporting mods isn't really good for the EJ20. By taking it off, selling that and the EBC, you can do this.

Get up/downpipe combo. Get more power than that CAI could ever wish to give. Then getting a ECU upgrade, will take care of the boost controlling issue, AND give you additional power to boot.

Thanks for clearing up the vf22 thing. I knew it had to be one of the two. :p

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
uppipe and down pipe are being done very soon. I dont see why to go back when I am close to going forward?:confused:

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
hybrid gti 2 said:
"my suggestion? Remove the CAI, the EBC, sell them, but a downpipe, up-pipe and and ECU upgrade such as the ones suggested"

please tell why? cai back to stock? ebc back to stock?

The CAI leans out the a/f ratio because the MAF sensor cannot correctly read the amount of air coming in the intake. Therefore, going back to the stock intake (you can remove the silencer) will make an ECU upgrade even better because the ECU will be reading the proper amount of intake air.

The EBC raises only boost levels, while an ECU upgrade will not only raise boost, but adjust timing and fuel, therefore making the boost increase very safe. Set the boost back to the stock set up, and you'll be all set for an ECU upgrade!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so tell me this... is that why my car slightly sudders at times under a load due to MFA? ok what about the short ram as I did not have those problems with that.

ebc why do others have mbc or ebc if ecu fixes that?:confused: is it not a good idea at all or just not at this time? if not just at this time at what point would it be good?

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
hybrid gti 2 said:
ok so tell me this... is that why my car slightly sudders at times under a load due to MFA? ok what about the short ram as I did not have those problems with that.

ebc why do others have mbc or ebc if ecu fixes that?:confused: is it not a good idea at all or just not at this time? if not just at this time at what point would it be good?
That may be why, yeah. Short ram might still have the same problems.

EBC or MBC might be for fine tuning the boost. Wait until you know more about engine tuning before adding a boost controller ;)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
where to get ecu upgrade? $?

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
BlkWRXWag said:
No offense, but how on earth did you get to over 400 posts without apparently reading anything on this site? Did you think to look at the stickies in the Engine Performance section and do some reading?!
haha, thats what I was thinking.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it's a freeking number ok. I know little about computers in cars. last one was a 86 gti. ok find a upgrade computer for that! I know little so I ask questions. technical info does little when you know little about what it does or how it works. often I find you guys use abrivations then I get real lost. I was given info from another member named mylo who sold me the parts. as far as the intake, contoller and exhaust. sounded good so I bought it. now you mock me because I lissioned to one of you guys give me a break. so why don't you be helpful instead of criticizing me.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok $395 is what they say and 10 min. ok what they say makes sence. does any of this effect the Check Engine Light stuff? is there any down side to what they offer?

unfortunatly I can not have my car down so this poses a problem as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts