Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2013 bone stock wrx hatch with 33k miles on it. It's been 18 years since my last wrx and that one was heavily modded. I have two weird noises that I don't know if they are normal or not.

1. Acceleration at full throttle makes a whining noise that sounds like a super charger. I'm very familiar with turbo noise and this is not that.

2. When the key is in the on position but not running there is a high pitched noise that seems to be coming from somewhere around the intake manifold.

I'm going to try to get the car in for a look over at my local subaru dealer asap. It's also hard to find a stock wrx in this age range where I live to compare it to. Any input or Info would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

·
Registered
2009 Cobb stg2+ WRX
24 Posts
First things first, congrats on the wide body hatch! One of the last EJ255s, so savor it!

1. are you noticing any power loss/hesitation? Is it load or rpm dependent (if you rev it in neutral does it make the noise, or only while at speed)? WOT or steady acceleration?

2. there are a handful of small electrical noises here and there (the modedoor motors on mine make noises after turning the engine off). Pop open the hood and try to pinpoint as close as you can to the area when it’s making the noise.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru WRX Limited Hatchback 5MT
205 Posts
As far as #2 goes it's most likely the throttle body and the motor that actuates the butterfly valve. When I changed my throttle body hose I decided to clean the TB too. With the keys in the ignition and turned to ON you could hear a constant 'staticy' type of whine from it. Everytime throttle was pressed it'd get louder as it opened the butterfly valve.

And yes congrats on the widebody hatch! Definitely one of the best and one I always lust after. Take your time researching and take good care of her :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
First things first, congrats on the wide body hatch! One of the last EJ255s, so savor it!

1. are you noticing any power loss/hesitation? Is it load or rpm dependent (if you rev it in neutral does it make the noise, or only while at speed)? WOT or steady acceleration?

2. there are a handful of small electrical noises here and there (the modedoor motors on mine make noises after turning the engine off). Pop open the hood and try to pinpoint as close as you can to the area when it’s making the noise.

I recently purchased a 2013 bone stock wrx hatch with 33k miles on it. It's been 18 years since my last wrx and that one was heavily modded. I have two weird noises that I don't know if they are normal or not.

1. Acceleration at full throttle makes a whining noise that sounds like a super charger. I'm very familiar with turbo noise and this is not that.

2. When the key is in the on position but not running there is a high pitched noise that seems to be coming from somewhere around the intake manifold.

I'm going to try to get the car in for a look over at my local subaru dealer asap. It's also hard to find a stock wrx in this age range where I live to compare it to. Any input or Info would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
I get a high pitched noise at WOT also that I want to figure out. Please let me know if you solve your riddle. These unique noises can be hard to find. I have seen this tool called an electronic stethoscope that I have considered purchasing for stuff like this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts