Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried unsuccessfully to reply to the old thread on this, but did not work. 2017 WRX with 18 inch wheels and summer tires. Stupid me, did not do my research, or I would have negotiated the Dealer to swap to all season tires, MY BAD! I guess my choice is smaller steelies and winter tires, or swap to all season? Any advice appreciated! I took the dealers additional Zurich insurance for bumper to bumper everything coverage, but it did not cover a tire that picked up two nails in the second month of ownership! Ouch!! $300 later, I had a new right rear stock tire....

· Registered
10 Posts
I picked up 17" stock rims which are the same as mine with winter tires on them. About 2 seasons old but decent tread left for $400. Look around the sales forum. U should be able to find a set cheap.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

· Registered
124 Posts
From my experience stock rims collect
snow and get packed throwing the balance off so I went with 17" Steel wheels and Either General Altimax Arctic's or the Hancook version, they are pretty much the same tread patterns. If you go with stock sizes I would avoid potholes at all cost, they blow low pro tires easily. I gave myself a 1" lift and got tires to fill the gap with more cushion and less chance to blow out .

I live in Southern NH we may get harsher winter than CT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
167 Posts
Depends where you live and how much you drive. I have used all seasons my entire live with no issues. I live in the mid-CT/Mid-Hudson NY area and commute in snow.

If your in VT/NH or somewhere out in the mid west that gets more snow.. then your going to likely need two sets of tires one for summer and one for winter.

if your the type of person that cares about the best handling you will likely want two sets....

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Craigslist also found a guy not far with like new tires on steelies, about same price as other guy with alloys, but tires with more miles. Decisions, decisions? I live and mostly drive 20k miles a year in Southeast CT near the CT River and Long Island Sound, so winters are much milder than further inland, but I must be able to get to and from work during the occasional icy, snowy days, so would not attempt to do it with stock summer tires. Thanks for the advice in avoiding all seasons. Salesman who sold me the car switched to Conti DRS all weather, and is happy.

· Master Baiter
22,140 Posts
If you want the best traction (which not only helps with cornering, but braking distance, too), dedicated sets is what you should be looking at, since the compounds are specifically designed for the temperatures that they'll be used in. If you don't mind compromised traction year-round, a set of all-season tires could be sufficient for your needs.

Since the tire is the only part of the vehicle that touches the road, I have never had an issue paying good money for good tires, both summer and winter. You see enough snow to warrant having dedicated sets. There is initial added expense to dedicated sets, and additional storage constraints (some people don't have the space to put four wheels/tires for six months/year), but the tire sets ultimately last twice as long (they're only being driven half the year), and if you ever get a vehicle where the wheels/tires you purchased for winter duty no longer fit, you can sell them and recoup some money (vs getting no money if you only have the A/S tires that are on the car).

· Registered
124 Posts
I say never never buy all season tires again. You'll thank us once winter is up :) unless you drive a Prius. I don't mind if Prius drivers have crappy tires. The more Prius drivers we can get to wreck their cars, the better
HAHAHHA yes they think they are saving the planet but forget the cost of batteries materials and disposal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.