ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. My name is Mark and I have a 2011 WRX Hatch. It is currently stock with the exception of an aftermarket radio from the original/previous owner ( will be swapped soon ). A few questions for my plans incase I'm forgetting something.
1. Cobb v3 Access port
2. Grimmspeed stage 3 ( debating because it's more of a daily and occasionally spirited driving. )
3. Grimmspeed unresonanted cat back ( was debating RESONATED or not so opinions?)
4. IAG AOS
5. Grimmspeed Pitchstop mount
6. Kartboy short shifter and bushings
7. Killer b oil pickup?? Opinions
8. Get a dom cylinder 4 cooling mod
9. Mud flaps
10. TUNING

Anything else that anyone has for other immediate and longevity mods please let me know.

Again, 2 and 7 I am unsure of being a daily/ occasionally spirited driver.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and just to add on. If the experienced and majority say the full stage 3 isn't worth what I'll be doing with my WRX, I was thinking just intake and maybe downpipe? With all the hype of epa undecided haha... But seriously my kids will be with here and there. Otherwise not to much "action" will be seen.

Same for killer b oil pick up.

Thanks again!!!

·
10,473 Posts
Yeah plenty people daily drive around with those modifications, although the oil pickup may be a little overkill.

The dom cooling mod is literally a waste of money. Don't piss away cash on snake oil. If you want a better cure buy equal length headers and can the factory ones.

You will have tapped out the factory fueling at that point, depending on the person doing the tuning and how hot they go you can wind up with problems. I'd recommend getting a walbro 255 and id 1050x injectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah plenty people daily drive around with those modifications, although the oil pickup may be a little overkill.

The dom cooling mod is literally a waste of money. Don't piss away cash on snake oil. If you want a better cure buy equal length headers and can the factory ones.

You will have tapped out the factory fueling at that point, depending on the person doing the tuning and how hot they go you can wind up with problems. I'd recommend getting a walbro 255 and id 1050x injectors.

Thank you very much for the beyond fast response and extremely helpful information!

I really do appreciate it.

Thought so for the killer b, however I didn't realize the cylinder 4 cooling mod was looked down upon. Also fair enough reliability with equal over rumble, but I don't know if I'd commit to losing one of the main reasons I love subarus! Haha.

How do you feel about upgrading the tmic with my given circumstances?

I'm not looking to " cheapen out ". I just don't want to as you put it, "piss away money " on unnecessary parts that I won't truly "use" since my driving experience will be less than eventful typically. Not to sound boring but being in my early 30s I could careless about others around me..

·
10,473 Posts
Thank you very much for the beyond fast response and extremely helpful information!

I really do appreciate it.

Thought so for the killer b, however I didn't realize the cylinder 4 cooling mod was looked down upon. Also fair enough reliability with equal over rumble, but I don't know if I'd commit to losing one of the main reasons I love subarus! Haha.

How do you feel about upgrading the tmic with my given circumstances?

I'm not looking to " cheapen out ". I just don't want to as you put it, "piss away money " on unnecessary parts that I won't truly "use" since my driving experience will be less than eventful typically. Not to sound boring but being in my early 30s I could careless about others around me..
Dom is respected in the community and in large the community around the WRX and the STI can be mentally lacking when it comes to critical thinking. Dom hasn't given any tangible evidence or data to say this does anything besides looks good on paper, but fanboys eat it up so it sells to the Facebook and reddit crowd.

The best decision Subaru ever made was ditching the UEL headers. Sorry, they cause way more problems than the sound cures. The car will run fine if you take care of it, accept it isn't a race car, and drive it spiritedly and not whip the shit out of it. The number one failure mode of any performance vehicle is the owner.

I see no problem with it, but given the EJ's fueling limitations you will be leaving power on the table and or be dangerously at the limit of the factory fuel system. Thats with or without the intercooler.

I'd save the killer b and cooling mod money and do the fueling to be honest. Its hard to suggest where to go on a stock vehicle thats a decade old because failure could literally be any minute and these things have a long history of catastrophic failure and poor ownership. I'd venture if you genuinely bought a stock vehicle the owner cared for it, but I can't say. Bearing and cylinder failure are both common.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Premium, Sedan
29 Posts
I bought a 2013 WRX that had never had any mods. I had the car a month and the motor went during a regular drive on a business trip. Since the motor is out of the car i did have them install the killer B pickup, pan and windage tray. My car only had 45,000 miles when it failed. Anything can happen no matter what you do. It is a 10 year old car. I should be getting my car back in the next day or two, I am not planning any mods for power but am interested eventually in doing equal length headers. Don't know that I will, as I am not sure I want to get the car tuned. I asked Killer B and they recommend a tune if you add theirs.

Right now I will have a 1 year warranty from Subaru so I won't do anything that will risk my warranty. After that I will rethink things.

Sound for me is not the B all and end all if headers could reduce potential heating issues among the cylinders, for me I would prefer to maximize the life of the motor first so that I can enjoy the car with minimal risk of failure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dom is respected in the community and in large the community around the WRX and the STI can be mentally lacking when it comes to critical thinking. Dom hasn't given any tangible evidence or data to say this does anything besides looks good on paper, but fanboys eat it up so it sells to the Facebook and reddit crowd.

The best decision Subaru ever made was ditching the UEL headers. Sorry, they cause way more problems than the sound cures. The car will run fine if you take care of it, accept it isn't a race car, and drive it spiritedly and not whip the shit out of it. The number one failure mode of any performance vehicle is the owner.

I see no problem with it, but given the EJ's fueling limitations you will be leaving power on the table and or be dangerously at the limit of the factory fuel system. Thats with or without the intercooler.

I'd save the killer b and cooling mod money and do the fueling to be honest. Its hard to suggest where to go on a stock vehicle thats a decade old because failure could literally be any minute and these things have a long history of catastrophic failure and poor ownership. I'd venture if you genuinely bought a stock vehicle the owner cared for it, but I can't say. Bearing and cylinder failure are both common.

Again thank you very much for the advice and input, I really appreciate it!!!!

Everything you've mentioned has sunk in and I really do appreciate your time. ( sorry for the late response, sick and finally fell asleep)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought a 2013 WRX that had never had any mods. I had the car a month and the motor went during a regular drive on a business trip. Since the motor is out of the car i did have them install the killer B pickup, pan and windage tray. My car only had 45,000 miles when it failed. Anything can happen no matter what you do. It is a 10 year old car. I should be getting my car back in the next day or two, I am not planning any mods for power but am interested eventually in doing equal length headers. Don't know that I will, as I am not sure I want to get the car tuned. I asked Killer B and they recommend a tune if you add theirs.

Right now I will have a 1 year warranty from Subaru so I won't do anything that will risk my warranty. After that I will rethink things.

Sound for me is not the B all and end all if headers could reduce potential heating issues among the cylinders, for me I would prefer to maximize the life of the motor first so that I can enjoy the car with minimal risk of failure.

And I'm very sorry to hear that about your engine!

I really hope it goes strong for a long time now that you've committed so heavily!
Best of luck!!!

·
Registered
2013 WRX Premium, Sedan
29 Posts
And I'm very sorry to hear that about your engine!

I really hope it goes strong for a long time now that you've committed so heavily!
Best of luck!!!
Subaru warrantied mine, I got it back today. It was parked for a month. So now I have a new short block, new clutch, new timing belt and plugs. I paid for the extras but saves later on things that would need to be done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts