Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new guy here with a new to me 2013 WRX 2.5L Hatchback. The car is in wonderful condition except for one little detail. The engine runs but sounds like it's on the verge of catastrophic failure. I bought it from an acquaintance who bought it new (I paid $1,000 for the car). 150K on the Odo. It shifts and rides beautifully. I've driven it very cautiously about 2 miles and won't start it again until an engine swap or rebuild happens which leads me to my question. I was going to buy a low mile, used JDM engine (cheap and easy swap out) but found out the 2.5 is a US spec engine and not available from Japan. Will a 2.0 replacement plug and play in my car? Is the drop in HP that much? I can buy one with less than 60K miles for dirt cheap. Thanks for your expert advice!

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
Buy a USDM engine.

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
Better yet, throw some money at Outfront or IAG.
This. Both are solid companies to work with.

Swapping a JDM engine tends to be a headache when it comes to wiring and the ECU.

·
Æternum
15,861 Posts
The engine runs but sounds like it's on the verge of catastrophic failure.
Don't buy a JDM engine. It would also be illegal to operate on US roads. With the EPA relentlessly cracking down, that might put you between a rock and a hard place.

I ask this question and mostly get snide comments back, but have you verified that there's actually anything wrong with the engine? Boxer engines always sound like they are on the verge of failure. That's somewhat normal. You might still have some life left in the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, engine failure hasn't been verified yet but that's what it sounds like to me. I'm having a qualified Subaru mechanic come over tomorrow night for a listen. I got a hell of a deal on a super clean car so it won't bum me out if I have to replace the engine. The car looks almost showroom inside and out. I got it from a guy I know who's a CFO of a major Corp. He's loaded and just going to buy a new car. I can't wait to get this thing rolling again, I've driven a couple of WRXs and love the car. My current sport cars are a '67 911 and a '72 2002

·
Æternum
15,861 Posts
A classic 911 and a legit 2002. Very cool.

I know a lot of Bimmer fans (I am one, only on the Motorrad side). 2002s are hard to come by in any reasonable condition. Would love to see pics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did a body off, nut and bolt restoration on my '02 some years ago. It won a couple of awards years back. It's still in terrific condition, actually, a little too nice. I've found that a near perfect car is not that usable. I'm afraid to really have fun with it like I do the Porsche, which is not as pristine. I'm actually thinking of parting with the 2002 for this reason. I'm tired of owning a garage queen and looking forward to sporting around in the WRX

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
That 2002 though. I also spy a CJ.

There is something about he proportions of the 2002 that remind me of a shark. its the tall hood and low trunk or something.

·
Æternum
15,861 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Gorgeous 2002. Seriously.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the new engine is built, in and running nicely. New short block, turbo, all the rubber, gaskets, etc. The valves were in good shape, nothing to replace. It all went smoothly, thankfully, no problems. Now the break in :^(
Can't wait to hit the boost but must be patient.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts