ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
as i am new i just have a few questions please dont laugh lol. Alright so i would like to get 2 tunes all done by my shop one for daily driving with stock psi at aroun 14-15 psi and a faster tune with anywhere between 18-21 psi would i need to go out and buy a whole new tuner for 500-700$ or is there anyway he could just do it and somehow i can magically switch it with a push of a button. second is the gizmo ms2 turbo timer and boost controller good? whats the deal with the combo (do i even need one i im only gonna have to preset psi levels?and alohough it might be in the wrong section another question why do people upgrade their fuel pumps? and i should be fine on stock injectors with what i plan to get here is the list please point out any flaws thanks,rob

(HP only)

Megan 3" tbe
perrin equal length headers
ultimate racing uppipe
tial 38 mm EWG
k&n intake
ngk sparks plugs
+ the gizzmo tt/bc combo

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
You can swap maps with a tactrix cable and a laptop with the appropriate software.

What year and model is your car? Can't answer the other questions without knowing that.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,394 Posts
What you sound like you're looking into is a UTEC-style solution.

People swap fuel pumps because they run into limitations with the capacity.

Your mod path is not very common. Look at my signature for a link with more popular modification routes.

Since a shop is doing all this, they should be in the position to answer the questions. If not, they are in no position to do the modifications.

Nothing you have mentioned indicates you need a turbo timer.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
As long as compression/leakdown tests come back good, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to run 18PSI daily.

Be aware that Perrin headers have a tendency to crack.

If you plan to run an EWG, you're going to want some form of aftermarket boost control (MBC, BCS, BCS/MBC hybrid, etc.).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UTEC

What you sound like you're looking into is a UTEC-style solution.

People swap fuel pumps because they run into limitations with the capacity.

Your mod path is not very common. Look at my signature for a link with more popular modification routes.

Since a shop is doing all this, they should be in the position to answer the questions. If not, they are in no position to do the modifications.

Nothing you have mentioned indicates you need a turbo timer.
I looked at utec by turbo xs and although i am looking for quality parts but that is over 1200 dollars so thats alittle out of my price range and my mod path is uncommon? how so, again another question sorry its pretty stupid but whats a chipcompared to a tuner? do i need a chip first or is the tuner a plug andplay style obd II style?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as compression/leakdown tests come back good, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to run 18PSI daily.

Be aware that Perrin headers have a tendency to crack.

If you plan to run an EWG, you're going to want some form of aftermarket boost control (MBC, BCS, BCS/MBC hybrid, etc.).
I was looking at the gizzmo ms2 booost controller havent found any threads about it though it also comes with a turbo timer is n0t to pricey bcuzi found one on ebay for 250 so is it a ripoff in temrs of quality i found one thread were one guy said it was cool but he just got it so time didnt show. Also i thought perrin was a pretty god brand in temrs of crack you dont mean ebay quality crack right? other wise ill pick some of ebay for 30$ and call it a day lol also18 psi daily on a small vf39 i thought they also had a tendency to crack

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
scruffythewild said:
I was looking at the gizzmo ms2 booost controller havent found any threads about it though it also comes with a turbo timer is n0t to pricey bcuzi found one on ebay for 250 so is it a ripoff in temrs of quality i found one thread were one guy said it was cool but he just got it so time didnt show. Also i thought perrin was a pretty god brand in temrs of crack you dont mean ebay quality crack right? other wise ill pick some of ebay for 30$ and call it a day lol also18 psi daily on a small vf39 i thought they also had a tendency to crack
Who is going to be doing your tune? No off-the-shelf maps will suit those modifications. Talk to them about what boost control they want.

Perrin headers are infamous for developing a leak, as are most aftermarket options.

The wastegate crack is usually something that isn't an issue on the VF39 in terms of affecting performance. 18PSI is nothing to worry about on a DD; I run an EWG on my '05, and I have the same peak boost.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who is going to be doing your tune? No off-the-shelf maps will suit those modifications. Talk to them about what boost control they want.

Perrin headers are infamous for developing a leak, as are most aftermarket options.

The wastegate crack is usually something that isn't an issue on the VF39 in terms of affecting performance. 18PSI is nothing to worry about on a DD; I run an EWG on my '05, and I have the same peak boost.
what i mean by having the vf39 crack is under high amounts of boost and boosting alot the turbo itself not the ewg would crack and thanks

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
scruffythewild said:
what i mean by having the vf39 crack is under high amounts of boost and boosting alot the turbo itself not the ewg would crack and thanks
The infamous "crack" that VF39s suffer from is around the wastegate.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The infamous "crack" that VF39s suffer from is around the wastegate.
ok thanks and for the heades what does "coating them mean" and thanks i no im a pain in the arse

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
scruffythewild said:
could it help against breaking or cracking if so do they com with it or you have it seperaatley applied at a shop?
Some manifolds will come with coatings, some don't.

I believe Perrin has a clause that states that coating/wrap voids their warranty.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Please use punctuation and capitalization. That's painful to read and I just gave up. :sadwave:

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some manifolds will come with coatings, some don't.

I believe Perrin has a clause that states that coating/wrap voids their warranty.
ok thankyou and i was always confused headers are just upgraded exhaust manifolds

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Please use punctuation and capitalization. That's painful to read and I just gave up. :sadwave:
I apologize. I found a boost controller that was a turbo timer as well for only $250 on Ebay. It is a real name-brand, i checked it out. So i was asking if anybody had this because for so cheap the quality must not be to great. About the perrin header my question was previously answered. My turbo question was also previously answered as well thank you anyway.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts