ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my name is Mike. Just got a 2002 WRX. Been looking here for a while now but since I now own the car I can actually justify joining. ;) I live in Red Hook, NY (upstate) and look forward to having many adventures (hopefully more good than bad) in this car... Here she is as of today when I paid for her, title transfer and plates tomorrow then I can drive her HOME!!!

Anyone in the area hit me up, I'm always down to hang or help out...

-Mike

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Grats!

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Welcome :)

Check out the UNYSOC link in my signature...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome. Nice looking subi.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys! I do have a question though... I DID SEARCH 1st but didn't see it labeled anywhere...

1) Where is the odometer info stored? Is it in the ecu or in the cluster itself?

2) Where would a boost guage get the psi reference from on the boost side of the system? Is there a specific port i should be looking for?

The car came with the A-pillar 2 guage pod and an oil temp guage and boost guage installed but neither are hooked up... not worried about the oil temp so much but would like to know boost pressure....

Also, does this site have an Android app? I know some do and when accessed from my phone usually prompt for a download but this one hasn't.....

Thanks in advance for any answers or directions to them.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Welcome to club also congrats on your WRX! For the phone forum APPs I've been using tapatalk forum app on my iPhone.
I think it's on the androids too, but I am not sure.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Archametes said:
2) Where would a boost guage get the psi reference from on the boost side of the system? Is there a specific port i should be looking for?

The car came with the A-pillar 2 guage pod and an oil temp guage and boost guage installed but neither are hooked up... not worried about the oil temp so much but would like to know boost pressure....
Boost: vacuum line coming off the bypass valve.
Oil temp: galley plug under the TMIC

·
Registered
195 Posts
Welcome and grats!

As for an app I have an Android phone and occasionally it will ask if I want to use tapatalk. So you should be able to use it.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
ArkySTI88 said:
As for an app I have an Android phone and occasionally it will ask if I want to use tapatalk. So you should be able to use it.
Tapatalk works on Android

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can someone post a picture of just a stock engine bay? I'm not entirely sure but something looks missing to the left of my TMIC... there's a bracket directly off the passenger side of it with nothing attatched. I'm not sure how much or what other than a seemingly hack install of the boost and oil temp guages, and the exhaust system.... trying to determine how stock or modded it is.... Thanks, Mike

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Archametes said:
Can someone post a picture of just a stock engine bay? I'm not entirely sure but something looks missing to the left of my TMIC... there's a bracket directly off the passenger side of it with nothing attatched. I'm not sure how much or what other than a seemingly hack install of the boost and oil temp guages, and the exhaust system.... trying to determine how stock or modded it is.... Thanks, Mike
Post a picture of your engine bay...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another tidbit i found today is the hose (line) from the turbo guage is under constant vacuum, when you hit the gas the vacuum lets off a little but not like there should be under boost. It IS spliced into the rubber line coming off the side of the blow off valve just like a How-To i found shows. It's a Prosport boost guage. I don't know if the wires are correct or not, they are spliced under the dash, the rubber line goes to a little box and the wires come from there up to the guage. When the car is started the guage lights up and does a full sweep then settles back at -30 vacuum. With the car just in acc. and not running it stays at 0 because there's no vacuum at this point... I'll try to get pictures up tonight or tomorrow...

Thanks, Mike

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
I don't think anyone answered one of your questions, unless I fail at reading.

I'm pretty sure the odometer info is in the cluster.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are correct in that you DID NOT fail at reading. Thank you, i figured no one answered simply because they didn't know. I only wanted to know for future referance and for plain having the information. Just downloaded the instructions for both gauges now so I'm going out to try and get the boost gauge (at least) working.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's the engine bay pics, i hope they help... to the left of the intercooler there's an open space and a bracket, just wondering what was there or (in general) what's missing...

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Archametes said:
Here's the engine bay pics, i hope they help... to the left of the intercooler there's an open space and a bracket, just wondering what was there or (in general) what's missing...
Turbo heat shield. Doesn't look like the bracket after the downpipe is there, either. It's like $10-15 from the dealership.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well for the past 3 days I've been getting a P0420 code (Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1) on the car. I was told when I got it the o2 (not sure which one) sensor need to be replaced so it would pass inspection. The company I got the car from did so and haven't had any problems. Called them with the issue, and they said they'd look at it when the wheel bearing came in, since that needed replacing too. Called again today to see whats up and told them about having to delete the code 3 times yesterday alone (about 200 miles driven). Suggested maybe front cat is shot, or front o2...etc. I know that there's a 3" exhaust from the turbo back with no cat. I know that this can be the issue for the code. I just don't want a quick fix that lasts the next 200 miles then comes back AFTER my warranty runs out. Would loading the Cobb accesport stage 2 work in this scenario? I may be able to persuade such purchase on their part since it'll be cheaper than them replacing the cats/o2's and such, but don't want to suggest it if I'm gonna get stuck having to replace the cats/o2's anyway in the end... any suggestions on how to approach this?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts