Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, maybe not NEW- bought a 2018 last year. BUT Hello all!
I have two sets of wheels and tires. Summer - Winter
(Cool modification for winter setup, wheels came off of an old mustang)

My issue is tires. I am an aggressive driver and go through a set of two front tires in about 7k miles.
Curves and hills here in WNC and I love the speed of my WRX with the performance of the summer tire the best. I do slow my roll in the winter and have not seen as much wear on my winter tires.
IS THIS NORMAL?

·
Æternum
15,551 Posts
A couple things here -- if you are frequently going through front tires, there are some steps you can take.

1. Have your alignment done. In my experience, even FACTORY alignment from Subaru is quite poor. It's time -- get it redone.
2. How frequently are you rotating tires? Perhaps consider rotating once in the middle of the summer front-rear. I've always been fine rotating every season.
3. Perhaps it's time to invest in the most important modification -- the driver mod.

Yeah, that last one is bound to sting a little. We all think we are the best driver out there -- news flash: none of us are. Significant front tire wear is indicative of front-end push. This is a driver's problem IMO. When I first started autocrossing, I noticed my tendency was to overdrive the front tires. I was adding too much steering input. Backing off the steering input both improved my times and reduced tire wear. Have you done AutoCross before? If not, consider it. It will also keep you from driving like an ass on the street.

Reactions: Aeburks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Summer tires have a softer composition compared to winter tires to allow for greater traction but as such will wear quicker...at least that's been my experience. I do have better luck when I switched to a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires so maybe that's an option

1 - 3 of 3 Posts