ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my Wrx for about 3 months and I figure its about time to start doing something to it improvement-wise. First off, it rolls like a champ. Suspension is surely not the greatest on this model year from what I read and can feel. Anyways, I am looking for suggestions as far as starter upgrades. I have been considering lowering springs, sways front and rear. I have considered sways all by their selves. I talked to one of the better import shops around here and they said that the lowering springs will run the shocks into the ground and I should get a new shock/strut set. Which has me considering only sways...if that will do the trick. Also, I am not mechanically challenged, and was curious about installation. Shops charge 2-300 for installs for susp, and 200ish for sways....Would it be a crime to do it yourself? Just wondering, aside from the alignment that I wouldnt do myself, I installed my Wrangler's lift and all, is lowering too much different? Oh, and before suggesting coilovers and all that funness, keep in mind that this car is for street and daily driving. I just want it to be more funner...funner.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I know that most people will say sways and endlinks as a first suspension upgrade but I'd suggest the Racecomp Bilsteins as a starter. I did sways/endlinks on my '09 WRX and a first upgrade but was rather bored with it after a few weeks--they helped correct the body roll but it was just too soft with the stock springs and shocks. A year later with my Bilsteins I'm still incredibly happy with them. I think they do a good job of balancing performance and comfort for a daily driver setup (...admittedly, I don't use mine as a DD).

Installation shouldn't be a problem. I had Racecomp do mine since I don't have a garage but there are pleny of how to videos out there. I'm with you--I easily could have done the install myself after a suspension lift in my Nissan and shocks/struts on other cars but it is always good to get some input. Others here can chime in for any of the Subaru-specific installation quirks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Konis, '09 springs, swaybars and endlinks. '09 tophats are worthwhile, and so are rear subframe, front control-arm bushings.
Don't forget to do short-shift kit and shift bushings if you haven't done that yet.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
I'd first insure you have good tires, from a handling standpoint nothing will gain you more than sticky tires

next I'd get a good alignment done, the 08-10 are rather camber challenged- maximizing the front neg camber will help a bunch- you might also find out that your alignment is out of whack- very common straight from the factory

next I would get larger sway bars front and rear, the front links are spherical- no need to upgrade them- the rears have a soft rubber bushing in them- they would be worth upgrading

if you still want more performance (and haven't run out of $ :)) then uprated springs and dampers would be next on my list

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'd first insure you have good tires, from a handling standpoint nothing will gain you more than sticky tires
I dunno Mike... it was putting better tires on that really brought home how soft the stock springs are! OE tires were so bad I couldn't get up enough lateral Gs to put the car on the bumpstops. With the PS2s on... wallowing like an overloaded ferry.

Good point on the alignment. I took my then-new car straight from the dealer to a good alignment and found it was right at the limits of tolerance and in all directions. Huge improvement right there.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
don't get me wrong the WRX (regardless of year) is under sprung and under damped, but from a strict performance standpoint- sticky tires + oe springs will get you quicker through the curves than oe tires + aftermarket springs- Stock class autox proves this out pretty well :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sure, I agree. Outside of autox rules constraints I like to balance things and avoid running tires the suspension can't really exploit, or vice-versa.
For my own street car it was fitting decent tires that forced the suspension upgrades. Those same upgrades would be totally wasted on the garbage OE rubber!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts