Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just buying a new 2002 WRX. A couple of questions. Are there any significant performance differences I should be aware of between the sedan and wagon? For suspensions, should I go with the Subaru accessory suspension, or do some other aftermarket combo (coil-overs, etc.)? Also, what is the best software for mostly road use, with an occassional track day thrown in?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Well, performance wise, the wagon is a little over a hundred pounds heavier and has a smaller diameter anti-roll bar in the back (which can easily be remedied), but other than that, they are identical. The Subaru suspension probably isn't your best choice for coil-overs, Tein RA's on godspeed.hack.net are a lot better from what I've heard. The very best handling upgrade is 17" wheels and performance tires!

Good luck and don't get the upgraded speaker package, it's a waste of cash!

-Jim

·
Registered
90 Posts
wagon is 80 pounds heavier(50 lbs is 1 tenth in the quarter) and has different suspension in front. The sedan utilizes the wide track front end. The sedan also has different front fenders which will allow 225 tires on it where as the widest you can put on a wagon are 215. The sedan rear seat does not fold down.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
masanz,

Thanks for the correction and additional input. I was going from memory and thinking of the automatic transmission which adds a little over a hundred pounds to the sedan.

I have an esotheric question: Why doesn't the sedan have a 60/40 split fold down seat too?

-Jim

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have no idea...that is one of the reasons I bought the wagon. I also wonder why they use different front fenders and if they can be interchanged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts