Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum, Jon here from Colorado. I'm a newbie to the forum and don't own a Subaru, let alone a WRX. However, I am looking to upgrade...

(Oh, and also, I apologize if this is the incorrect forum. I didn't see a specific "transmission" forum, so I'm sorry if I missed that and posted incorrectly.)

Currently I own a 2011 Kia Forte, and it has a 6-speed manual transmission. Several months ago I installed an OEM short-throw shifter kit, and have pleased with the results. As I shop for a new car, I test-drove a 6-speed WRX, and was pleasantly surprised to find out it had the STI short-throw shifter, as well. However, I really didn't feel like it was that significant. In fact, the length of the entire shifter & knob seemed too high to me. BTW - I understand that a short-throw shifter is not simply chopping the length of the shaft. But it just seemed like I needed an additional piece of center armrest in order for my right arm to feel comfortable while driving and shifting.

Anyway, my question to everyone is this: for those who have the short-throw option on their transmission, are you satisfied? Do you like it? Is there a different/better aftermarket kit out there, or is the OEM option "good enough?" I'm not trying to bag on criticize your cars, I'm just seeking to learn more and get a feel for the community opinion.

Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a 2017 WRX with the short shifter kit factory installed. I think it only reduces the throws about 10% from what I have read. I really couldn't tell much of a difference between the car I purchased and the one I test drove that had the standard shifter. There are aftermarket shifter kits like Perrin, Kartboy, and Boomba that make throws much shorter and don't require too much effort to install. I believe Boomba offers a shorter length shifter as well as a shifter plate that combined, can reduce throws by nearly half. However, with a shorter throw, you will likely get a more notchy feeling shift into gear and the stock shifter is already notchy enough for me.

I agree the shifter itself seems a little long, but I have the JDM center console storage bin in my WRX and the length of the shifter fits just right for me. I do not have any short shift kits installed aside from factory, but I did install Perrin's shifter stop and brass bushing. Those two minor mods alone made a huge improvement to tightening up the sloppy feel the stock shifter had. I think the WRX shift feel is pretty good. The Honda Accord V6 I tested before buying my WRX had among the nicest feeling shifters out there, IMO.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks for the response. I once had a 90's Nissan 300ZX, and the STS I put in that was amazeballs! Too bad it was just a 5-speed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I too have the STI sts kit installed from the factory and it was honestly kinda the same as the stock wrx shifter I test drove. I really only got it because it was included. I purchased a boomba sts to shorten the throws and the tallness. The notchy feeling can be taken care of by also purchasing their short shift plate as it is heavier than the stock option and provides a smoother shift. Good luck. Cheers.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I tried a factory short throw shifter and a regular stick and didn't notice much of a difference so I opted to be cheap and stick with the regular, ol' shifter.

The Subaru shifter is definitely more "notchy" than my old Accord shifter which moved in and out of gear like a hot knife through warm butter. It took a bit to make the switch.

The one thing I continue to miss about my Accord though was the arm rest which would slide forward to allow me to rest my arm and wrist very close/above the shifter . . . I ended up buying a JDM armrest extension which was an improvement on the existing arm rest . . . but nowhere near as nice as my Accord's arm rest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts