ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am badly want to do a stage 2 on my 10. But my most concern is the downpipe.... I am looking for the Cobb high flow cat downpipe and I have do many research in this week but I still cannot get the answer. Some people say the high flow cat can pass the emissions test with no problem. At the mean time some say you need to swipe it each time you get the test. I definitely do not want to swipe it each time.... Can anyone fill me in about that? Can I pass the emissions test in Utah salt lake with the high flow cat downpipe?

Besides. I read the Cobb stage2 map and the stage2+sf... It seems not really a different there? What do a intake really do for me?

I am sorry I am totally a newbie. Thanks for you all!

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Intakes can make a small difference, but in my experience, they really just give you more sound.

I don't know Utah emissions very well, but in CO I passed with my Cobb TBE just fine the first time. 2 years later I failed miserably with the same thing because the car had sat a lot and wasn't driven often. The more you drive it, the easier it is to pass the test because of how much better the cat operates.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
high flow cats break down quickly, and will usually pass 1 or 2 times. Best bet is to get a catless downpipe, and swap downpipes for your test, and then go back to the catless

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
sounds like a pain... I know... but it's 7 bolts twice every couple of years

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like a pain... I know... but it's 7 bolts twice every couple of years
Go catless will release a really bad smell, make the rear bumper black and really pollute the planet....so that's my cons.
The Cobb stage 2 will fit with its high flow down so i am ok with it.

I don't know if the process of swiping the DP is easy or not..... i know it need to remove the intercooler and other stuff....
Do you think a guy never touch anything under the hood can get this done? I had only installed a CBE myself.

Is that mean the more i drive the car the more chance i can pass the emission test? And why only can pass 1or 2 times?

Thanks a lot it really helps.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Fellow Utahrd here, the thing you have to worry about with your emissions tests in Utah is the readiness checks. They check to make sure all emissions systems report back as ready, if one doesn't, you fail. They don't do the sniffer tests in SL county any more unless it's a pre-OBDII vehicle. They may or may not do a visual check though, depends on who it is. But I watched the guy do my car from start to finish and he never looked for one. I enjoyed watching him do the brake check though, nearly hit his head on the steering wheel, guess he wasn't expecting those nice brakes lol. But I digress...

I've done several down pipe replacements on several WRX's and they're all the same. The only hard part is removing that stupid heat shield and putting it back on again. But overall it's just a few bolts, so not overly difficult. I'd be willing to help you out if you need it. I'm in South Jordan, not sure where you are exactly, but if you're close I'm more than willing to come out and help, or even let you use my garage if you need it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fellow Utahrd here, the thing you have to worry about with your emissions tests in Utah is the readiness checks. They check to make sure all emissions systems report back as ready, if one doesn't, you fail. They don't do the sniffer tests in SL county any more unless it's a pre-OBDII vehicle. They may or may not do a visual check though, depends on who it is. But I watched the guy do my car from start to finish and he never looked for one. I enjoyed watching him do the brake check though, nearly hit his head on the steering wheel, guess he wasn't expecting those nice brakes lol. But I digress...

I've done several down pipe replacements on several WRX's and they're all the same. The only hard part is removing that stupid heat shield and putting it back on again. But overall it's just a few bolts, so not overly difficult. I'd be willing to help you out if you need it. I'm in South Jordan, not sure where you are exactly, but if you're close I'm more than willing to come out and help, or even let you use my garage if you need it.
Hey man it is really nice to hear that. I live in West Valley City at this moment. about 2 months ago i took my other car to the emissions test and seem they don't really do a visual test. So some fellows said if they don't do visual it will be fine to have a high flow cat DP. So according to what you say it seems true right? Because i have just been here the United State for one year. So i am not so familiar with it.

I get scared with the exhaust because when i was installing the CBE the spring bolt really give me a challenge, i don't know how to compress it so right now i do not have a spring there. So it just lost the confident on doing other jobs. You feel me? Even worst that i do not have any friends here know about car mod. So i can't learn from anywhere. It is really good to know you can give me a hand here.:)

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a tech look under the car for the cat on the downpipe. Even if you did put a highflow cat on you'd pass a visual, it's a catless downpipe that would fail a visual since there wouldn't be a cat there at all. Make sense? So really, you only need to worry about the emissions system coming up as ready to pass the OBD check.

I understand completely how you're feeling. My first time I had issues with those damn spring bolts as well, they just need a little bit of elbow grease. Any time you need some help I'm more than happy to offer up some advice. If you'd like I can shoot you my phone number so you can text me if you have some questions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya that's great! Really appreciate your kindness ! So what can I do in order to have a better chance to pass the obd?

Orginally I am planning to do the mod through solidauto work on jan when my fund available. But do u think you can help me to do that? So that I can I have a Better chance to learn doing it.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Go catless will release a really bad smell, make the rear bumper black and really pollute the planet....so that's my cons.
Catless smell is delicious, the rear bumper will be fine, if anything just add a heat shield, and the planet....**** it. Go Catless :)

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Benson830 said:
Ya that's great! Really appreciate your kindness ! So what can I do in order to have a better chance to pass the obd?
A properly tuned car should have no issue. I'm not sure if Cobb offers it (I haven't played with the ATR software), but I have my ROM setup to force the readiness monitors online via OpenECU.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I don't understand how you had difficulty with the spring bolt. The bolt is long enough to get the nut on the end of it and then you compress the spring...

I forgot to get new ones when I did my TBE on my old STi so I fabbed up some custom ones myself. I used a couple of 2.5" bolts with nuts I had in my workshop, and put some 1" long pieces of 3/8" copper tube on them, then the springs over that. Worked perfectly. McGyver FTW

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts

Orginally I am planning to do the mod through solidauto work on jan when my fund available. But do u think you can help me to do that? So that I can I have a Better chance to learn doing it.
Solid is a great company. Brody is one of the head guys there and is a good guy. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to give you advice and help you along. If you decide that you don't want to spend the extra cash there though, the offer is still on the table to help you at my house.

Sorry for the delayed response, I don't always check this site when I'm not working. I'll shoot you a PM with my number shortly.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
A catalytic converter is really doing nothing to protect the planet.. Especially since the hippies in the hybrids with the nimh batteries are ten times worse on the environment then going catless ever would be.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
A catalytic converter is really doing nothing to protect the planet.. Especially since the hippies in the hybrids with the nimh batteries are ten times worse on the environment then going catless ever would be.
Exactly

·
Registered
42 Posts
Catalytic converters produce CO2, One of the most readily available greenhouse gasses :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts