Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I got a 17 wrx limited as I have always loved subaru, now looking more into possibly tuning, I was told to have a air intake and some other basics the engine will need to be tuned. Is there a basic guide on how to going based off your build or is it something that constantly will be needed to adjust?

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
You don’t need anything to tune your car besides a tuning solution and someone to tune the car.

Any modification you do will need a tune done. Some options like Cobb offer staged packages and off the shelf tunes that give you a square and reasonably safe place to start. From there you can opt to have a dyno tune that will usually help squeeze a little more from the car and calibrate the ecu for your car and your specific situation.

Other options include just buying the parts you want from the brands you trust and having a performance shop do the dyno tune. Some shops prefer certain manufacturers and will recommend a good direction to go for your desires.

One thing to note. Tunes are not one size fits all when it comes to bolt ons. This is most notable with the intake. For instance cobbs tunes are specifically for their intake and you can’t just use their intake tune for a grim speed. Also, you cant use cobbs stage one tune with a turbo back exhaust. So if you were to buy a grimmspeed intake and get the car tuned then later decide on a turbo back exhaust you’ll have to get another tune done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don’t need anything to tune your car besides a tuning solution and someone to tune the car.

Any modification you do will need a tune done. Some options like Cobb offer staged packages and off the shelf tunes that give you a square and reasonably safe place to start. From there you can opt to have a dyno tune that will usually help squeeze a little more from the car and calibrate the ecu for your car and your specific situation.

Other options include just buying the parts you want from the brands you trust and having a performance shop do the dyno tune. Some shops prefer certain manufacturers and will recommend a good direction to go for your desires.

One thing to note. Tunes are not one size fits all when it comes to bolt ons. This is most notable with the intake. For instance cobbs tunes are specifically for their intake and you can’t just use their intake tune for a grim speed. Also, you cant use cobbs stage one tune with a turbo back exhaust. So if you were to buy a grimmspeed intake and get the car tuned then later decide on a turbo back exhaust you’ll have to get another tune done.
Xj thank you very much, that breakdown made more sense than what others have told me. Much appreciated man!

·
Registered
338 Posts
go to cobb's site and read up on things. They have a lot of info there on how your car works and what can be done. Also lots of good info here too https://phatbottituning.com/faq-u

remember too when looking at the info the WRX is an FA20 motor, the STI is EJ25x different motors, somewhat different mod paths

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
go to cobb's site and read up on things. They have a lot of info there on how your car works and what can be done. Also lots of good info here too https://phatbottituning.com/faq-u

remember too when looking at the info the WRX is an FA20 motor, the STI is EJ25x different motors, somewhat different mod paths
Very true. The fa20 responds much better to modifications made to the intake parts. Intake, tgv deletes, egr delete. The ej25 will see bigger benefit to the exhaust but will run out of fuel delivery faster. The new sti realistically needs injectors and a larger pump for just an intake and turbo back where the fa20 and it’s direct injection system is a little more robust as long as you can keep your line pressure up and stable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all! I went with the Cobb and Cobb intake stage 1 already notice a huge HUGE difference :). The Cobb site was very informative thank you all for that reccomedation I wouldn't have stumbled upon that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts