ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am considering getting a subaru wrx or sti. I am not familiar with these cars that well and do not know what to look for exactly. I have been a mercedes guy for quite some time. I just drove a friends sti and loved it. He is looking to sell it but some things are worrying me about purchasing the car.. It has a lot of mods on it and it has a very rough idle, not to mention the price..

Here is my current vehicle.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
chances are any wrx or sti with low mileage has been used thoroughly, ive owned mine for 3 or 4 weeks, and i could tell you i would not like to buy it used from myself, lmao granted its not smashed or beaten to ****, but i know ive dropped the clutch out a couple times and i have rallyed with it once or twice

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'd stay away from your friend's car.

Whether you go for the WRX or STI depends on several things, including your budget and your driving style. There's a million threads on here about this so do a search.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah , they had a trusted inspector check out the vehicle. It is a 2007 with 36k on it. It apperantly had a new ecu system but has a bad idle. The last thing I want is to buy it and I get a lot of problems..

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Yeah walk away from that car...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im thinking about going for a stock sti but is it worth the extra over the regular wrx? Is the performance really that different?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Welcome to the forum and subaru world . The Stock sti has 300 hp compared to 227 hp 02-05 wrx , 230 hp 2006-current,The sti also has a 6 speed tranny compared to 5 speed wrx. The features that come with the sti are well worth it. i would of bought one myself but i decided i wanted a wrx first, i hoped this helped.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it did help a lot. I think the car will be very fun and just about as fast as my current car..

·
Registered
750 Posts
Welcome to the forum and subaru world . The Stock sti has 300 hp compared to 227 hp 02-05 wrx , 230 hp 2006-current,The sti also has a 6 speed tranny compared to 5 speed wrx. The features that come with the sti are well worth it. i would of bought one myself but i decided i wanted a wrx first, i hoped this helped.
Just so you know 2009+ WRX's have 265hp engines.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
I'll start off by saying that I love my WRX, and am glad I went that route. That said, if you drove your friends STI and that was what convinced you ... then you need to buy an STI and not a WRX. They do have differences in performance and handling, and I'm guessing you would be disappointed if you got a car that did not seem to be up to the experience you already had. Either way, its a good choice - though the interior will be a step down from MB.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
welcome. any car is reliable if you take care of it, and if the previous owner took care of it.

i bought my 06 brand new and havent had any issues at all with it.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
Great info! I like the styling of the 06-07 a lot. How is the reliability?
The key is who owned it and what they did with it. Many of these have been modded, some modded and returned to stock. Be sure to have a tech look it over that you trust and who knows Subies - a good tech can tell you what has been changed, even what has been returned to stock. Properly cared for these are reliable cars that can easily be taken to high mileage totals while still maintaining performance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, walk away from that 07'. I have a 2011 with a few mods that have put power around [email protected] the wheels. I love my WRX but, having said that, I have reached the limits of some the cars major components ie. the 5 speed tranny. If your budget will allow it I'd get the STI! If your not concerned with going crazy fast and if a more harsh ride than you're used to isn't your thing then go with the WRX.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got a chance to get a good deal on this 2006 wrx with 73k. How much would it cost to swap a sti tranny into it? Has anyone done this? How much is a sti engine, tranny, drivetrain?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I got a chance to get a good deal on this 2006 wrx with 73k. How much would it cost to swap a sti tranny into it? Has anyone done this? How much is a sti engine, tranny, drivetrain?
it costs way more than its worth if your buying right now. You would spend less money just buying an STI. Tranny swap is ~4-6k and you can't just swap the whole motor easily, it takes a ton of extra work. All said and done your looking at well over 10k not factoring in labor and you still wouldn't have the STI interior/exterior bits. If you need the 6 speed, your better off buying an STI to start.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,233 Posts
Get the car if you want an 06 WRX. Don't get a car you don't want as is, out of the box, with the intent to modify it, because it's cheaper and more efficient to just buy the car you really want in the first place.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts