Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, just got my first wrx. She's an 05 automatic (I know but it actually drives quite nice for a daily) with 218k on the clock. All original, had top end rebuild at 197k. Runs and drives beautifully other than alignment being slightly off, will be fixed very soon. Just wanted to introduce myself and the car. I only paid 3k so I think I got a decent deal. What would you do with this car? Leave it stock? Upgrade anything? Im also going to be activity saving for a nicer newer baby so don't want to put anything in this that will shorten its lifespan.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
I'd just keep it, maybe do some major services like suspension.

·
Æternum
15,860 Posts
I'd argue that bushing upgrades around the car would be wholly transformative. On that chassis, the bushings that you should consider are:

Transmission and cross-member bushings (is this the same for the automatic?)
Control arm bushings
Rear diff and outrigger bushings
Engine mounts and pitch stop
Steering rack bushings

Like XJ recommended, probably a refresh of the tophats and bump stops if not the whole strut.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update - So I've finally got all the out of state registration crap done with and I can pay attention to the car itself for a minute. Thought it had an alignment issue, turned out to be a low tire. I hope he wasn't driving it like that for long. CEL turned out to be upstream o2/air fuel sensor, replacing dramatically increased gas mileage but now im getting a p0420 code from the gutted cat. Any opinions on the most appropriate way to fix this? I've looked at the anti Fowler method, capacitor method, and an o2 simulator for $80. My county doesn't require emissions testing so im not super worried about having a cat.

On another note, I'm actually enjoying having the automatic transmission which is beyond ironic as I've always been a die hard manual transmission fan. In fact, this is only the second auto that I've ever owned. I even took my time to find an outback in a manual. I admit there have been some very disappointing moments when I've gotten excited and absent mindedly reached for shifter and tried to push down the non-existent clutch, but for the most part I have been enjoying the handling that always puts a smile on my face on all these curvy roads and carefree everyday driving. The new cvt models are starting to look like much more of a future upgrade possibility.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the completely wrong way to fix your issue.
What would be the appropriate way to fix my issue? I asked a couple posts back and nobody replied. If you are suggesting installing a new catalytic converter, I live in a county that doesn't require emissions testing so the benefit doesn't outweigh the cost to me.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
What would be the appropriate way to fix my issue? I asked a couple posts back and nobody replied. If you are suggesting installing a new catalytic converter, I live in a county that doesn't require emissions testing so the benefit doesn't outweigh the cost to me.

I believe the 05 has the 32 bit ECU and my understanding is it uses the rear o2 to help with fuel trim. I've not seen anyone gut a cat in ages. Can you get a picture of your down pipe? Goes out the back of the turbo under the firewall.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
So they cut the heat shield off and gutted it? Yeah man, you do you but I would throw that hackjob in the trash and find a factory down pipe or purchase any number of aftermarket catted units and a Cobb accessport.

You'll have to wait for ej257 or zax to stop back by, but from my understanding of the ECU and fuel trim settings the rear O2 sensor is important and an anti-foul plug messes with low speed trims. It was part of the issue i had with my car. Considering yours is the 205 I may be wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What tends to be the going rate on access port? I did consider this option but it seems it will add up to about 30% of what I paid for the car so wondering how worthwhile this would be

1 - 15 of 15 Posts