ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.... let me fill you in briefly on my situation...

Im about to deploy, but will be ordering my car within 6 months. I had been set on a 4door jeep but finally realized 16mpg was just too bad for me, regardless of how cool it looked!

So, me and my fiance have been hung up on the 2013 mustang gt pretty bad... it is an awesome car and Im debating between that and the WRX. She likes the hatch, I like the sedan more.. but I dont really know much about subies or the wrx at all... all I do know is supposedly, the wrx tranny isnt as strong as the one on the STI but the STi is pricey! Another thing (flame suit on :furious:) Im not wanting a manual really... and I know the STi is only in manual.. I think the WRX used to come with a auto option but does it still?

Anyways, can you guys fill me in on the dif. between the 2012 wrx vs STi... what are some good features of the car, other than the AWD... how's the aftermarket support, how much HP can the WRX motor/tranny handle and still be safe... I have no intentions of leaving whatever I get stock, btw.

Thanks!

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Well, if your intention is to mod it with power mods, you'd be better off with the STi if you want a lot of headroom without breaking things. Engine wise, they are very similar with some key differences, pistons being the big one. The STi comes with a bigger turbo, intercooler (more efficient), more power, a stronger tranny, DCCD, limited slip front and rear differentials, better suspension, wider tires, and wider, lighter wheels. All of that is above the WRX.

Now, that's not to say the WRX is a bad car, in fact, it's great. But if you can afford the price tag, the STI has a lot more to offer in my opinion, and if it's going to be modded and raced, it is THE best platform to start on when considering Subarus. The WRX is a car that is easy to settle for, however. Each have their own pros and cons.

Now, as for the Mustang, it's a damn nice car. Currently I'm driving a friends 2010 GT while I'm finishing up some mods and maintenance/repairs, and while it doesn't have the 5.0L Coyote motor in it, it's still a strong and fun daily, but personally I would never buy one. They just don't suit me or my driving style at all, plus I have some reservations about the way the Ford dealerships do business around here.

My suggestion to you, then, is to drive all of the cars you're considering and make your decision from there. You're going to get opinions in favor of Subarus on this board, for good reason, but in the end it's you who is shelling out the 30k+ for the car.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
In addition, if it's the auto tranny you're wanting, I would entirely NOT suggest the Mustang. There's something about their autos that just ruin the cars. And as for Subaru, it's been rumoured that the next STI will have a flappy paddle gear box, but it isn't confirmed. Maybe you should look into the EvoX for that?

I will tell you one thing, if you can get past your fear of driving a manual car, it will be a great reward for you. You get so much more out of driving the car when it's a stick, and the 6-speed in the STI is a fantastic example of how great it can be.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
it's been rumoured that the next STI will have a flappy paddle gear box, but it isn't confirmed.
Even if it does, EFF THAT!
Neither Subaru or Toyota have developed a dual-clutch tranny, as of yet.
And if they are anything like the AUS or JDM market, its gonna be a slush box with paddle shifters.

And on a personally note, I rather not imagine not being able to double clutch to downshift whenever I pass. Or heel-toe-double-clutch when cornering. Or feeling that heavy clutch pedal to go along with the heavy steering/brake pedal/gas pedal. Really, try it with a proper manual transmission, its intoxicating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, if your intention is to mod it with power mods, you'd be better off with the STi if you want a lot of headroom without breaking things. Engine wise, they are very similar with some key differences, pistons being the big one. The STi comes with a bigger turbo, intercooler (more efficient), more power, a stronger tranny, DCCD, limited slip front and rear differentials, better suspension, wider tires, and wider, lighter wheels. All of that is above the WRX.

Now, that's not to say the WRX is a bad car, in fact, it's great. But if you can afford the price tag, the STI has a lot more to offer in my opinion, and if it's going to be modded and raced, it is THE best platform to start on when considering Subarus. The WRX is a car that is easy to settle for, however. Each have their own pros and cons.

Now, as for the Mustang, it's a damn nice car. Currently I'm driving a friends 2010 GT while I'm finishing up some mods and maintenance/repairs, and while it doesn't have the 5.0L Coyote motor in it, it's still a strong and fun daily, but personally I would never buy one. They just don't suit me or my driving style at all, plus I have some reservations about the way the Ford dealerships do business around here.

My suggestion to you, then, is to drive all of the cars you're considering and make your decision from there. You're going to get opinions in favor of Subarus on this board, for good reason, but in the end it's you who is shelling out the 30k+ for the car.
The STi has stronger pistons, or just larger ones? Those are some pretty good differences, well worth the money if you can afford it, Id say!

How does the Sti hang, power wise, top end? My buddies that have mustangs or other RWD cars say that the subies are only fast from a dig and after 60-65mph, they dont gain much speed fast due to the tranny workin all 4 wheels... true or not?

Im not really fearful of driving a manny, I havent drove one much, but enough to have the basics down, probably would be a little rusty startin out again, but like you guys said, my friends said the same, they all prefer a manual, maybe I dont because I've only had very light exp. on one?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
One of the biggest things missed: Brakes. STI Brakes are larger Brembo units.

STI hangs well in the top end, but as you approach 5k rpms in the higher gears, you run out of steam. It's tuned from the factory to taper off. That doesn't mean it doesn't pull. If you're cruising on the highway at 70mph, and wanna pass someone, you don't even need to downshift. For granted, downshifting is fun...but it's not needed. The stigma is that frumaroll, you're not gonna be as fast as a big ole V8 or some other larger displacement engine, but that's just natural. Don't worry though, if you say you're gonna mod, then a simple Stage 2 tune will really open up some breathing and improve not just top end, but all around power and driveability.

I refuse to have a car that's an auto. They are boring. You are disconnected from it. You don't have full control of engine speeds, even over flappy paddle bull****. Get a 6spd, you'll be happy you did.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
How does the Sti hang, power wise, top end? My buddies that have mustangs or other RWD cars say that the subies are only fast from a dig and after 60-65mph, they dont gain much speed fast due to the tranny workin all 4 wheels... true or not?
If you drive the car the way it should be driven you will have plenty of power through all useable speeds, on par with almost everything out there. If this is about racing on the street and you are looking for a car to challenge people in highway roll-racing from 70+ then a bigger motor with a bigger topend is better. Of course, if highway racing is your thing, I'd rather you got a Prius.

Reactions: Mikie13

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only reason HWY racing is more of a interest to me is because there isnt really any tracks close by, so the hwy is about all I got, I dont like flying through curvy backroads too fast due to animals, other cars not staying in their lanes...

I do love the subi though, its amazing looking and has a lot more room than the mustang, which is a big plus.. but the sti does cost quiet a bit more than the base GT... It's a tough call though!

Does anyone know how much hp the wrx engine/tranny is rated for?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The only reason HWY racing is more of a interest to me is because there isnt really any tracks close by, so the hwy is about all I got, I dont like flying through curvy backroads too fast due to animals, other cars not staying in their lanes...

I do love the subi though, its amazing looking and has a lot more room than the mustang, which is a big plus.. but the sti does cost quiet a bit more than the base GT... It's a tough call though!

·
785 Posts

Part of me wants to tell you that if all you care about is taking people from a roll on the highway then just get any of the new muscle cars, mod them, and hunt away. Part of me wants to tell you that the way you describe your driving on public roads screams asshat. Part of me wants to tell you that I am oddly attracted to redheads, but I know I will be able to keep THAT part of me from speaking out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Part of me wants to tell you that if all you care about is taking people from a roll on the highway then just get any of the new muscle cars, mod them, and hunt away. Part of me wants to tell you that the way you describe your driving on public roads screams asshat. Part of me wants to tell you that I am oddly attracted to redheads, but I know I will be able to keep THAT part of me from speaking out.
May I ask how I described my driving habbits as thoughs of an "asshats" I just meant that The sti is more of a twisties handling car.. and I know people that like to get on the backroads with them and haulass, but I just stated I didnt like that......and Im an asshat?

So be it.

Anyways, back to the information you guys were giving me....

What are some good websites to look at for STi parts... and what are the common mods with these cars.? Same as most cars Im assuming, intake, exhaust, tune?

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
The reason you're getting flak is because a lot of folks here don't consider any kind of racing-esque driving on any public roads to be safe.

I think the decision is clear though, you said you don't like driving on twisty roads. Well, while the STI is a fast car, if all you want to to be pushed into the back seat then get the mustang. The beefier power curve would be more compatible with what you like, and it'll handle well enough in everyday driving. The STI really is supposed to be for those twisty roads. I know I know, it's 0-60 and 1/4 times are good, but the feel is going to be much different.

·
785 Posts
^+1

More often than not what the OP is describing involves running at high speeds on roads populated with uninvolved drivers who may or may not switch lanes. It creates dangerous situations for people who have nothing to do with your need to prove to that kid in an older Camaro that yours is bigger than his. If you want to race find a track, or a friend with an airstrip. Otherwise ... asshat. I've got nothing against you - but your description of your driving wants sounded dubious.

As for your car choice - I said it before and Calvinball repeated it - if topend power is your need get a Mustang or the like. If you want the mix of power and handling that the WRX/STI brings then come aboard and enjoy the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldnt dare race with people all over the road... probably wouldnt really race.. maybe just do a quick accel...to play around with someone. I've done 1 street race in my entire life, so sorry for the confusion guys!

I got quoted on a STi for $208 a month for insurance and $179 for the WRX...... That's a lot and makes me sad, because I dont want to pay that much, ontop of a $400 car payment :(

·
Registered
633 Posts
Don't get the WRX or any car until you get back from your deployment, new models will come out and you should have a large lump of cash for a down payment whe you get back. As for your complaint about insurance... it seems you are buying a quick car to fool around on public roads, all i have to say is one speeding ticket and your insurance will double or even triple with most insurance companies. WRX / STis are some of the highest vehicles to insure due to kids thinking they are Ken Block master drifter need for speed ninja racers and from your post i have a feeling you're gona jump in that boat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts