ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im going to college this coming fall and i am wondering...should i get a job?

I really want one to be able to get money for weekends but mostly for mods!

I am lucky that i dont have to worry about paying for collge and books and such.

So what would be a good job?
Work on campus?
Work offf campus?

Some people tell me to take it easy the first year and dont get a job...others say it will help with staying focused?

Any help?
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
466 Posts
This fall's going to start my 5th and final year. I've done some of each. It's nice to not work, you have more time to do whatever you want, but the money is nice too. Part of it depends on your major and courseload for any given semester, if you are going to have a ton of homework, focus on that.

For the past 2 years I have been taking light semesters and working as a teaching assistant for a freshman level class. It doesn't pay much, enough to keep me in gas money with some for savings, but looks good.

I know some people who work 20-30 hours a week and go to school. There is easily time between classes, the question revolves around when you are going to study. I like to study during the day, so finding a job is harder because more people want evening jobs.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
dont get a job first semester...see if you can deal with the work and then have time for a job after that. Enough Said.... You dont want a job that is time consuming, and you want something where you can pick you own schedule and isnt going to be too tiring..so you can get home and study..or do whatever else you do!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I worked more than full time from 9th grade through my college career (4 1/2 years). I really didn't see any other way to pay for my bills, car, insurance, gas, books, college, house, etc.

In all honesty, I had absolutely no problems doing it. I guess it all comes down to time management. But if you throw in a girlfriend, girls, parties, etc. it's like throwing a wrench in the gears.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I wouldnt work you first year. Take the first year to get used to the whole college life and then get a decent job over the summer and just stick with it if you enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
the $6/hr will not be worth it

you'll spend more money getting to work and back (lunch/snack etc)

unless you do no plan on going out, drinking, meeting girls or even having fun

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'm gonna be a 5th yr as well. I work valet, a good night is $20/hr cash, longest shift for me is 6 hrs. It's at night so doesn't conflict with class time, and it's in cash so f*** uncle sam. Having your own money is so nice after getting an allowance from your parents. Once you turn 21 you'll want money for bars and clubs, they get spendy. And girls can be expensive too. PLus saving up for mods will go quick without other expenses. On campus work doesn't pay well. I'd do freshman yr no job, have fun, learn the ropes, meet people. Save the job for soph. when you have friends and established your self.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts