ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought an 03 wrx, i plan on doing the hybrid build with either an ej257 from subaru or a 2.5 block from an 08 forester that has 72k on it, i will of course rebuild it, if i go the forester route i can upgrade the pistons to forged and rods along with machine work and timing oil pump for close to the same cost as buying the stock sti block. my question is everyone on the forums state it cost around 5-6k to complete this. i dont see why it would be that much if i did all the work myself except the tuning and machine work. i couldnt see it costing more than 2500-3k tops. the car i bought already has a larger tmic, sti pink injectors, a vf34 with nvidia up pipe down pipe, and greddy exhaust, other than having the heads worked and adding cams and valve train work what else am i missing? also what kind of power can i make at the wheels with this setup? thanks

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Because most people can't do the work themselves. Your also going to need the 2.5L oil pan and oil pick up along with a timing belt kit. Thats another $750. Wheel power is subjective. Depends on alot of variables. A guess would be 300whp and maybe 350 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
How much are you looking to make and whats your power goal? Hybrid is nice but it may not be necessary to do all that work when you just want 300 AWHP and it could be cheaper to build your 2.0...depends what you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much are you looking to make and whats your power goal? Hybrid is nice but it may not be necessary to do all that work when you just want 300 AWHP and it could be cheaper to build your 2.0...depends what you want.
i would actually like to get about 350awhp because the car is fun as it is at a tuned 290 to the wheels, the main reason i planned on doing this swap was

1) coming from driving my other car which is an 05 350zr i miss the low end torque that the 2.0 doesnt seem to have, although the wrx is faster than my z i still would like a little more grunt in lower rpms for driving around town.

2) the car runs fine, i dont have any leaks what so ever but the car is clocked at 155K and i dont know how much longer the stock block will last.

3) i cant ever seem to leave anything alone, its a curse but i am one of those people that took every toy apart as a kid to see how it worked and tried to mod it to do more than it was intended for. lol

I am in no hurry to build the hybrid as i said the car runs just fine right now, but what would you think is capping me at 300whp? im sure the injectors should still be further upgraded cause they are 565 pinks, i was thinking of 650's, maybe a fmic and a 18g-xt in the future, but i was hoping i could max the vf34 out to atleast 325 to the wheels with a nice bump in torque from the additional displacement, thanks for the quick responses, i am loving this forum already! and here are the pics of my two cars:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts