ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, new to the boards, and on the verge of purchasing an '04 wrx sedan. just wondering what (if any) mods i can do to the car once i get it which will not void the factory warranty? and i have never heard of cobb parts before this forum, just wondering how reliable and how strong their performance is?

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Cobb is good.

Do a search for other mods that won't void your warranty. You'll have enough reading to last a few weeks. :wiggles:

Welcome.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
mongoose221 said:
hey all, new to the boards, and on the verge of purchasing an '04 wrx sedan. just wondering what (if any) mods i can do to the car once i get it which will not void the factory warranty? and i have never heard of cobb parts before this forum, just wondering how reliable and how strong their performance is?
Cobb is excellent, and as safe as you're going to get when it comes to hopping up a Subie.

Search, search, search. Happy WRX'ing...:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
no. many of Cobb's modifications will void your warranty, (though they report that their AccessPort is undetectable to dealership computers).

Integra and Ray (and likely dozens of other folks on this board) have come to appreciate Cobb Tuning as a company that walks the line between performance and reliability with grace.

aggressively tuning your car (or, in my unfortunate case, bike) can lead to a very fast and very unreliable car. there's a guy that lives down the street from me with a souped up Integra. i'm sure his ride could take me to the cleaners, but unfortunately, it frequently fails to take him to work.

peace.

trip.

·
48,699 Posts
Spectre186 said:
Cobb doesnt void warranty or something??? Is this why you people are talking about cobb?
Uhh, did you read his post at the beginning? We're talking about Cobb because he asked about Cobb.:)

·
48,699 Posts
Spectre186 said:
Rayfield is mad! meow meow!:D
You're right, I shouldn't get mad. <sigh> I'll give some advice, instead. Just buy a BOV (blow off valve) and a CAI (cold air intake). Those won't void your warranty, and will give you enormous performance gains!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
lol is this a prank cause i'd hate to think your telling these guys who are new to buy the things that don't help a wrx.

bridget and mongoose..for my piece of mind and if this isn't a joke most dealers are ok with a catback exhaust. you can also get an accessport (from cobb). they state it cant be detected by a dealer. also, do a search for the silencer delete...its a piece in the air intake that you don't really need. (this is my current setup and i love it).

DO NOT get a cold air intake and a blow off valve. they both don't help the car and in some cases make it worse. hope this helps and welcome to clubwrx:)

btw...prices - cobb isn't cheap, but high quality. a catback will cost anywhere from $400 up (i'll suggest bosal, cheap and quality part). the accessport is $600 (plus a 12 week waiting list). and the silencer delete is FREE.

·
48,699 Posts
Sorry to be rude... It's Monday, right?

The moral to the story is that there is a very useful search utility to this forum, and many informative stickies. It's proper netiquette to search briefly for an answer to see if you're asking a question that's already been addressed a million times. (Search button is at the top right hand of the screen)

Please do NOT buy a BOV or CAI. BOV's add no power to a WRX, and CAI's vary. Some actually hurt power, and others add a miniscule amount. People get them because they "sound really cool". I used Cobb's Stage 1 reflash and their Catback as my first mods, for the reason that I was still under warranty and wanted to have a chance at coverage, should something go wrong. Now that I'm out of warranty I've started going ape$hit with mods. Keep in mind that some dealers are more mod friendly than others.

Warning:The WRX mod thing is highly addictive! Begin at your peril!:)

·
Registered
248 Posts
btw, if you want to keep the car quiet go with the Greddy EVO or the EVO2. The EVO2 replaced the EVO so if you cant find it go with the 2. BOV on a stock wrx hurts. I threw one on mine and I couldnt hold any boost. Drove home and put the stock one back on. That’s the end of that. I might go with the EVO, but PDE is supposed to be developing a catback too so I might wait.

You could probably do an uppipe too. An uppipe will usually cut turbo spool up by 500RPMs or so. No precat=more flow. I have PDE b/c it allows you to reinstall the turbo heat shield and..other stuff... Dont ask how it is b/c I havent found the time to install it yet and I want new gaskets for the uppipe. There are other cheaper options than PDE too. Helix is popular..

Wheels, tires, and suspension are good starts too. But dealers cant void your warranty for your mods UNLESS they find your mods caused your car to break something. In this case, most people quickly switch back to stock parts to get the work done, but dont expect a blown engine due to UTEC or an Accessport to go unquestioned... Or some people do the work themselves. To get the most out of the wrx or any turbocharged car, I would go catless. Even if it is an auto.

·
48,699 Posts
Smokescreen said:
In this case, most people quickly switch back to stock parts to get the work done, but dont expect a blown engine due to UTEC or an Accessport to go unquestioned... Or some people do the work themselves. To get the most out of the wrx or any turbocharged car, I would go catless. Even if it is an auto.
Yeah, uppipes and catless downpipes are the logical steps for power, but they were asking about warranty-friendly mods. A mechanic at a dealer may be able to detect that you've replaced those things, even if you've put the stock pieces back, so I didn't go in to that. If you have a blown engine, and they see that you've hacked up your turbo heat shield to accomodate a larger catless downpipe, I'm betting you don't get covered.:cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts