Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new the the forum and new to being a Subaru WRX owner. I just recently purchased a brand new 2018 WRX sport 6 speed manual in world rally blue. I am currently awaiting the arrival of my car to the dealership. I am curious if anyone has some good tips or information to share about being a new owner. This is my first new car and first subaru. My biggest concern is how to properly brake in the new car. I'm sure the owners manual covers this but was wondering if any had tips to add to it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Congrats. You won't regret it. Are you planning on any mods down the road? I'm working on appearance mods first before I dive into performance mods. Worried about voiding engine/ drive train warranties. I have a new 2017, second subie, and I have plans to change out the brake system down the road. The factory breaks are not that great. Give yourself extra time to break if you are going higher speeds or downshift more :) I'm drooling over some brembos but haven't decided yet whether or not that is the new system I will go with down the road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the time being I plan on leaving it stock. However down the road after the warranty is up then I think I will throw some mods on. I don't want to void the warranty just yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in Ontario so some years we get bad snow falls and the cities around here love throwing down literal tones of salt and sand. With some of the extreme colds we get as well it makes it hard to always wash off the residue

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When it comes to poutine it all depends and where you get it from some places and definitely better than others. There is a city called Peterborough that's about two hours away from me and they have amazing poutine. They have about 106 different flavours

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well the proper way to brake in this new car is to press the middle pedal . . . lightly if you are coasting to a slow stop or more firmly if you need to brake suddenly.

:)

To properly break in this car most folks (and the manual I believe) suggests not going over 4,000 rpm for the first 1,000 miles, varying speed and a number of folks (myself included) do an oil change at the 1,000 mark.

·
Registered
460 Posts
When it comes to poutine it all depends and where you get it from some places and definitely better than others. There is a city called Peterborough that's about two hours away from me and they have amazing poutine. They have about 106 different flavours
106 different flavors? Lol. Clearly I have not lived yet. And I have been to Peterborough, but, sadly, I did not know of this aforementioned place. I will have to yell at my cousin for not taking me there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well the proper way to brake in this new car is to press the middle pedal . . . lightly if you are coasting to a slow stop or more firmly if you need to brake suddenly.

:)

To properly break in this car most folks (and the manual I believe) suggests not going over 4,000 rpm for the first 1,000 miles, varying speed and a number of folks (myself included) do an oil change at the 1,000 mark.
Why the 1,000 mark?

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
A round number

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
Lol, that doesn't help much doll haha

That is why. It's a solid average of where the accelerated wear of all new components slows or stops in the majority of engines, and everything is suitably seated and bedded in.

They could give you a number like 946.523 miles at X rpm range under Y load.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also live in Ontario (Scarborough) and own a 2017 Wrx. I basically did what others mentioned here. Keep it under 4000 RPM and don't use cruise control for the first 1000 miles. Your going to want to go past 4000 so bad but you will have to wait and trust me it's not that much more power after 4000 rpm.

As of the oil change after break in, there is a lot of debate that you don't need it but I went and did it anyways just for insurance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One thing that I would recommend later down the road is getting an accesport I just have a 93 stage 1 tune. You can tell a little difference in speed but the drive ability is just so much better. It really should've came from the factory tuned like stage one. Anyway enjoy your new whip!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts