ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, new wrx owner here. I recently picked up a 2016 from a girl and I love the car so far. It was never modded, and was babied quite a bit. I love driving the car as my daily commuter however I have two questions. I’ve never had a car with gearing like this... I’ve always shifted at 3k. With the redline at a much higher rpm here, is it safe to once in a while run in 3rd all the way up to 6 and what would be your optimal shift point if you were trying to go fast without damaging the car?

secondly and most importantly...
I drive interstates that are concrete and the car (while holding the wheel very light) will track a little bit left, than it will track a little right(I don’t think it’s wind), without me changing any input of the steering wheel. This is noticed mostly on concrete roads and at higher speeds(65 to 80mph). I wonder if it’s a steering issue or maybe it’s just how the tire treads track on the concrete a lot of the concrete has straight lines run though it (might be drainage)which I think might be enhancing the steering to “hunt” left and right. Just wanted some takes before I have to go pay Subaru to look at it.
I’m excited to have taken the jump and joined you all. Thanks !

Attachments

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,668 Posts
You can shift at any point you wish below redline provided the motor does not bog or lug.

Groove wander and tramlining are a function of tyre design, suspension geometry, alignment, and surface. You’ve not described something abnormal.

Nice car congrats.

·
Æternum
19,963 Posts
The tracking is normal. The VA chassis cars have an aggressive caster alignment that can make the steering feel a bit "nervous" to the uninitiated -- the self-centering action is relatively aggressive and the tread will follow grooves whether the driver wants to or not.

I'm not sure what car you are coming from, but EPS systems are notorious for feeling a bit "numb" compared to hydraulic systems. That can amplify the effect above of not knowing what the front end is doing until overcorrecting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tracking is normal. The VA chassis cars have an aggressive caster alignment that can make the steering feel a bit "nervous" to the uninitiated -- the self-centering action is relatively aggressive and the tread will follow grooves whether the driver wants to or not.

I'm not sure what car you are coming from, but EPS systems are notorious for feeling a bit "numb" compared to hydraulic systems. That can amplify the effect above of not knowing what the front end is doing until overcorrecting.
I last drove a 2005 accord 6 speed. Have driven trucks for a while now and use the wrx as the commuter. Thanks for the info, maybe it is just the tread on the tires that caused the hunting. It’s really noticeable on certain pavement types and less noticeable if at all on smoother surfaces. Basically what I’m getting from you is just live with it because it is normal?

·
Premium Member
10,183 Posts
You're in a different world than a truck or Accord. The steering and suspension is tighter on the wrx and it will transfer road feel through the chassis more readily. Coupled with a more sporty oriented alignment and suspension setup you'll feel more hunting and rut following than the equivalent commute designed vehicle that favors comfort and smoothness over all else.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You're in a different world than a truck or Accord. The steering and suspension is tighter on the wrx and it will transfer road feel through the chassis more readily. Coupled with a more sporty oriented alignment and suspension setup you'll feel more hunting and rut following than the equivalent commute designed vehicle that favors comfort and smoothness over all else.
The tires are a bit wider, too. This will cause a bit of trammeling. If you have a smooth asphalt road and the car tracks true, then all is well.

·
Registered
490 Posts
...Basically what I’m getting from you is just live with it because it is normal?
Yes. I have a 2016 WRX and this has been an annoyance since I got it. However, XJ is right about the steering. It's very tight for an econobox. The tracking will annoy you in straight lines but in curves it shines!

Love the color, by the way. I wish I had gotten white. And, I see the exhaust tips sticking out a bit. Is that just the stock exhaust?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. I have a 2016 WRX and this has been an annoyance since I got it. However, XJ is right about the steering. It's very tight for an econobox. The tracking will annoy you in straight lines but in curves it shines!

Love the color, by the way. I wish I had gotten white. And, I see the exhaust tips sticking out a bit. Is that just the stock exhaust?
Hey Chris,

I believe it is the stock exhaust. I don’t know much about these cars at all but I’m pretty sure it is stock. The girl I bought it from didn’t mod it. I’ve been wondering about this MAPerformace stage 1 tune and if it’s worth the money. I don’t have an access port or whatever is needed to do it. where I live im basically able to get 91 fuel or if I look hard enough 93. However I think I’d rather just use 91. Do you have any opinions about this tune?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts