ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 WRX that I got brand new and have put 7k miles on it. My first stick-shift ever. Although I have stopped stalling a long time ago and have no issues with my wrx as my daily driver, I'm still fairly frustrated at how slow I have improved my shifting. Although I dont stall anymore you can say every single shift I make is extremely rough. Which of the following procedures is the correct way and is what I should focus on perfecting? I ask because I keep getting frustrated at my lack of improvement and keep changing what I do. Obviously it's best to know the correct way and just keep practicing that until "perfection":

1) When shifting: disengage clutch and let go of the gas, then shift the gears. So then I know that I need to engage clutch while simultaneously giving it gas, however, by this point the RPMs are under 1k and there is no way I can get it right because one of the following two scenarios always happen: (i) I dont give it enough gas and you can feel how the clutch engages and forces the engine's RPM upward getting a jerky feeling, and then when I try to fix this by (ii) giving it more gas, I end up revving higher than needed and you can feel/hear a scratching sound when the clutch engages, also creating a jerky feeling. Either way not a smooth shift. Is this the right way to do it and I just need to keep practicing until I'm able to give it the right amount of gas (since currently I either dont give enough, or way too much). Specifically I want to know if in the process of shifting gears with the stick, if my gas pedal should be off completely letting the RPMs drop so much which is what I think is giving me trouble as I then need to raise those RPMs for the clutch-engaging moment and I cant seem to get that part right. [by the way, what rev hang? I have read this but in my car the RPMs drop so quickly when I disengage the clutch...are they supposed to drop even faster that people complain they hang in this car??]

2) In trying to fix the above someone told me that when I disengage the clutch to let go of the gas just briefly for the clutch disengagement to happen and then to go back on the gas pedal and keep giving it gas just enough to maintain RPMs around 1.5k or so while I do the gear shifting with the stick. In other words, to not let it drop under 1k. I have tried this and I shift way smoother this way (still far from perfect) but for some reason I think of this as being some sort of work-around to avoid my lack of experience from messing up what should be the correct way, namely #1?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,967 Posts
I can sit here and give you the most detailed how-to known to man and it all comes down to practice and knowing the car. How fast the engine responds, how the clutch throw is.

In general, shifting after it bounces on the redline a few moments is bad move.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can sit here and give you the most detailed how-to known to man and it all comes down to practice and knowing the car. How fast the engine responds, how the clutch throw is.
But which of the two methods should I be executing in order to obtain the proper practice?

In general, shifting after it bounces on the redline a few moments is bad move.
What do you mean? I'm not red-lining my car at all as I'm still a newbie.

·
Premium Member
10,967 Posts
You do whatever you can to engage the clutch smoothly and consistently between shifts.

On my old jeeps I'd float gears a lot. Rarely use a clutch. My wrx I would press the pedal pull to gear, out of the gas as the clutch is going down, let out the clutch as the engine rpm was where it should be.

Jeep, wind out, let out of the gas, shift to next gear without the clutch, back into the throttle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
LIke they say practice makes perfect. Something that helped me with my STi is figure out exactly where it engages the clutch. On my STi it engages close to the top so i know I dont need to push it all the way in. Less travel easier to shift cleanly add rev matching (may be difficult depending on how well you know your car) and shifts are smooth as butter. Theres also no lift shift options but bad idea if your drivetrain is stock and being a boxer easy to throw a rod if you are no lift shifting at redline.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,128 Posts
Enroll in a motorcycle safety course. You'll learn how to use a clutch.

Reactions: Batavion

·
Banned
40 Posts
I haven’t driven a clutch since 93? Granted I’m a truck driver, but getting back into stick on my 2020 WRX with 6 speed has me like a newbie all over. I stalled in the parking lot twice coming out of the dealer and at a few lights. I also went out of my way to avoid the huge hill with the light in the middle of it on my way hone 😂😩. This is the most responsive and crisp trans/clutch I’ve been in. Another few weeks and I should be back to driving like a pro, but I feel you. Take it slow and easy and be nice to your car. Eventually you’ll be able to feel what the car wants when.

·
Premium Member
10,967 Posts
I haven’t driven a clutch since 93? Granted I’m a truck driver, but getting back into stick on my 2020 WRX with 6 speed has me like a newbie all over. I stalled in the parking lot twice coming out of the dealer and at a few lights. I also went out of my way to avoid the huge hill with the light in the middle of it on my way hone . This is the most responsive and crisp trans/clutch I’ve been in. Another few weeks and I should be back to driving like a pro, but I feel you. Take it slow and easy and be nice to your car. Eventually you’ll be able to feel what the car wants when.
I've been in the market for a wrx or STI again and have test driven a few. I think the big hang up is the lack of torque the 2.0 has before positive manifold pressure is built. The 2.5 in the sti and old wrx are much harder to stall. I didn't think the difference would be that noticable but it is and it's been consistent across what I've driven.

·
Banned
40 Posts
I figured out what my issue has been and I laughed. I remembered that cars don’t have a clutch brake. I started going deeper into the clutch and now no problems. Hashtag-ClutchKing😂💪🏼

1 - 9 of 9 Posts