Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm still understanding the gauges of the Subaru AP and how to read them. I took 2 datalogs, one just a small cruise like 10 seconds and the other a WOT pull. I've had an accessport on my MS3 before. Can anyone tell me if this "fine knock" is too much? From what i've read it seems to be a lot but i'm not sure.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EP4zkossnOzXHUPAUfjSUsdHZykqYGEwaLJkOpDcT_U/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pq6KNg_Lsa0FvcLTlFOPKaIwfUQr55DPxQqdmbUPYdU/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for any help/advice.

· Registered
33 Posts
I'm still understanding the gauges of the Subaru AP and how to read them. I took 2 datalogs, one just a small cruise like 10 seconds and the other a WOT pull. I've had an accessport on my MS3 before. Can anyone tell me if this "fine knock" is too much? From what i've read it seems to be a lot but i'm not sure.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EP4zkossnOzXHUPAUfjSUsdHZykqYGEwaLJkOpDcT_U/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pq6KNg_Lsa0FvcLTlFOPKaIwfUQr55DPxQqdmbUPYdU/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for any help/advice.
The knock at WOT is concerning. I would avoid boost until you solve that issue. The low RPM cruising knock is also very high. Some fine knock at low RPM is quite normal but -8.xx sounds problematic to me even if you are lugging the engine. What map are you using and what mods do you have?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The knock at WOT is concerning. I would avoid boost until you solve that issue. The low RPM cruising knock is also very high. Some fine knock at low RPM is quite normal but -8.xx sounds problematic to me even if you are lugging the engine. What map are you using and what mods do you have?
I'm on a protune the previous owner put on from metro performance. It has catless TBE, GFB dual port, perrin EBC as far as performance goes

· Registered
33 Posts
I'm not a tuning expert...more like an advanced beginner. I know that knock at WOT is bad. It can cause catastrophic failure. I wouldn't run it hard until you get that fixed. There are no OTS maps compatible with the BOV and EBC so you really should get a protune or e tune unless you want to undo those two mods and use an OTS map.
I hope it hasn't been knocking like this for too long. I have heard tales of scorched pistons with pitted holes from chronic detonation.

· Premium Member
15,876 Posts
Make sure the air filter box is properly closed.

Buy some MAF cleaner and clean the MAF gently (plenty of instructions out there).

Make sure there are no leaks between the MAF and the turbo into the intake - it will draw in un-metered air there and cause detonation. The turbo inlet may tear at the turbo attachment point, maybe on the bottom. Check all those hose clamps and for good measure the ones after the turbo.

· Premium Member
15,876 Posts
Also, I don't see the IAM - that is relevant. If it is below 1 then there is even more knock retardation than is shown.

It is possible you got some ****ty gas too.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, I don't see the IAM - that is relevant. If it is below 1 then there is even more knock retardation than is shown.

It is possible you got some ****ty gas too.
Okay I'm going to clean maf tomorrow and check the connections. My tuner from my speed 3 said to throw like 1.5-2 gal of e85 in and see if the knock goes away. He said if it did then it's real knock and if it's still there with the e85 then it could just be false knock. I did and the knock is still there. I would have thought it'd be the other way around but I know next to nothing about tuning so I'll go off of his word on that. But thanks for the suggestions i'll try them and get back to you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.