ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to this forum, and hopefully I'm doing this right. I'm a totally new WRX owner as of about 5 hours ago and I'm seriously pumped! Like, I wish we needed milk or something so I could run out and drive some! I was in the market for a gently used fun car with a manual transmission. I test drove a Hyundai Veloster N and really loved it. Great customization, fun sound, terrific performance, and solid warranty. It was a fun car. That being said, it was super small and I'm a father that regularly needs to use a back seat.

After driving the Veloster N, I knew I'd be happy with it, even if it was small. I then checked out the usual muscle cars, but again, the back seats weren't good enough. My dream car was really a 2017 Chevy SS with a manual, but they're so rare that the prices never dropped down to my range. At the time, I was driving a Pontiac G8 GT and drove it for the past 8 years. My biggest complaint was that it wasn't a freaking manual transmission and the automatic transmission was TERRIBLE.

Anyway, I decided to head on down to the local Subaru dealer where I got to sit in a WRX for the first time. I was IMMEDIATELY blown away by the comfortable driving position and excellent visibility. Compared to most of the muscle cars, it was a breath of fresh air. The PROBLEM was that the dealer wouldn't come down on the price like AT ALL. So I left the dealer, but now had a new direction to follow...the way of the Subaru.

At that time, I wasn't able to test drive one. The salesman was a douche and I wasn't in the mood to play pressure games. For the next two days I checked my car apps and started to search for viable options. Something relatively new with low miles. Should be easy to find, right? Wrong! Apparently nobody sells their darn Subarus because there was like 4 WRX's in a 200 miles radius. Then, out of nowhere, I refreshed a search page and a WRX pops up being 5 miles from my work. I couldn't believe it, so I raced across town to see it because the dealer didn't even have pictures up yet.

When I get there, I knew I was immediately in trouble. It was a 2018 Subaru WRX Limited 50th Anniversary Edition. I've always had an affinity towards rare colors and the like, and I absolutely adored this new blue color! If I'm being honest, my favorite color is the quintessential rally blue we all love so much, but this new shade was seriously cool. I got the keys for a test drive and BOOM. I was hooked.

Now, I'm a car guy. I read about them, watch videos, and I generally know what's up. I obviously knew the car wasn't going to be slow, but it was actually peppier than I expected. The car had power in virtually every gear, and it seemed to beg for corners and speed. My initial impression was that it felt very "planted" and secure, which was great! The car had a few more miles than I hoped for, 27k, but they're all from a 70 year old man who drove to Atlanta once a week for a year. The car had no mods and perfect maintenance records.

They let the WRX go for a surprisingly low price, considering it's a limited trim, and I gleefully took hold of the keys and flew outta there! I couldn't be happier with the car AND to be part of such an amazing community. I promise I won't make any more super lengthy posts and I'm mostly here to learn and pick up some knowledge. Hope you guys are doing well tonight and I'm looking forward to checking out the forum!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Enjoy your new toy. I know from experience how hard it is to find a Camaro SS with the TR-6060 transmission. More's the shame as it is just a wonderful transmission. The WRX will offer you a back seat you can use and actual visibility. You can actually talk about miles per gallon instead of gallons per mile. There is a lot of goodness in the WRX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
From what I heard tho many people didnt find the pilot seat to be comfy so it gives me hope that Jiggles finds it wonderful

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I heard tho many people didnt find the pilot seat to be comfy so it gives me hope that Jiggles finds it wonderful
OK...here's the deal with the driver's seat. The sitting position is terrific and provides excellent visibility everywhere, but the seats themselves aren't totally perfect. The lower side bolsters are a bit too narrow for me and I could use a smidge more space. Obviously Recaro seats are going to be extra supportive and I expected this. They aren't QUITE as aggressive as the Ford Focus ST seats that I literally couldn't sit in for more than a few minutes before losing circulation in my legs. I'm going to write a "quick impression" post this weekend that goes into some of the initial pluses and minuses! For now, gotta go work 🤣

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are a couple quick pics. My color isn't my fav but beggers can't be choosers! Hahaha. Still need a heavy tint, remove the rack, and that's a start.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts