ClubWRX Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
BooSTIng
2,867 Posts
I can personally vouch for everything XJ mentioned. My STi is my 5th Subaru, and 4th turboed one, first STi. I also am the type to never leave anything stock. I love learning and tinkering and seeing what I can do to make more power. In my younger days I modified blindly and without education. It is a true miracle that my first, and probably second wrx never blew up. On my 3rd wrx I finally learned the ropes of tuning and modifying in a modest and well thought out plan.

Fast forward to my STi. I did everything right. Properly tuned for every part, every time. When I went to pretty much full bolt ons with the stock turbo I was very happy. Parts were all name brand, brand new, and what I couldn't install myself was installed by a professional tuning shop. And then it was tuned by one of the most reputable tuners in the Subaru game. Several months later I spun the rod bearing on cylinder #4. Cause: oil starvation. I religiously changed my oil every 3k with top of the line motul engine oil and Subaru oil filter. Maintenance was always on point and performed within guidelines. It didn't stop my engine from going boom.

Now like I said, all of my subarus have been modified. Some the right way, some the wrong way. When I did every little thing right my engine finally blew. What I am getting at is that the phrase "pay to play" finally caught up with me. And will with pretty much everyone that decided to modify their car. The members here are saying it is better to stay stock for a reason. Don't take it as a threat or demand to stay stock. The same ones that say stay stock have modified their cars as well. Myself included. We just want to see people that do modify their cars, do it the right way. And understand the consequences that come along with it.

I can vouch that subarus are NOT cheap to build or fix after a catastrophic failure. I enjoy modding and making my car unique just like most people here. It cost me almost 20k for a full build on my STi. And it isn't even finished yet. (probably never will be) Sometimes I ask myself if it was worth it. And sometimes I doubt myself. I do regret the financial burden the car has costed me. I also realize that I am the one that decided on going all out on a big performance, high horsepower build. What makes it worth it to me, is finally having a fully built and rotated turbo STi that I have always wanted. Every time I buckle into that car, start it up, and spool up that big turbo I have a huge smile on my face. I love driving the car and everything about it. Just know that you need deep pockets, and the people here are not picking on you. They are trying to help you from a heavy financial problem when things finally go wrong.

At the end of the day, mod your car, and be happy. Just do it right, and understand the consequences and inevitable money pit you are creating.

*sorry for the long drawn out post!

Reactions: Pooks

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can personally vouch for everything XJ mentioned. My STi is my 5th Subaru, and 4th turboed one, first STi. I also am the type to never leave anything stock. I love learning and tinkering and seeing what I can do to make more power. In my younger days I modified blindly and without education. It is a true miracle that my first, and probably second wrx never blew up. On my 3rd wrx I finally learned the ropes of tuning and modifying in a modest and well thought out plan.

Fast forward to my STi. I did everything right. Properly tuned for every part, every time. When I went to pretty much full bolt ons with the stock turbo I was very happy. Parts were all name brand, brand new, and what I couldn't install myself was installed by a professional tuning shop. And then it was tuned by one of the most reputable tuners in the Subaru game. Several months later I spun the rod bearing on cylinder #4. Cause: oil starvation. I religiously changed my oil every 3k with top of the line motul engine oil and Subaru oil filter. Maintenance was always on point and performed within guidelines. It didn't stop my engine from going boom.

Now like I said, all of my subarus have been modified. Some the right way, some the wrong way. When I did every little thing right my engine finally blew. What I am getting at is that the phrase "pay to play" finally caught up with me. And will with pretty much everyone that decided to modify their car. The members here are saying it is better to stay stock for a reason. Don't take it as a threat or demand to stay stock. The same ones that say stay stock have modified their cars as well. Myself included. We just want to see people that do modify their cars, do it the right way. And understand the consequences that come along with it.

I can vouch that subarus are NOT cheap to build or fix after a catastrophic failure. I enjoy modding and making my car unique just like most people here. It cost me almost 20k for a full build on my STi. And it isn't even finished yet. (probably never will be) Sometimes I ask myself if it was worth it. And sometimes I doubt myself. I do regret the financial burden the car has costed me. I also realize that I am the one that decided on going all out on a big performance, high horsepower build. What makes it worth it to me, is finally having a fully built and rotated turbo STi that I have always wanted. Every time I buckle into that car, start it up, and spool up that big turbo I have a huge smile on my face. I love driving the car and everything about it. Just know that you need deep pockets, and the people here are not picking on you. They are trying to help you from a heavy financial problem when things finally go wrong.

At the end of the day, mod your car, and be happy. Just do it right, and understand the consequences and inevitable money pit you are creating.

*sorry for the long drawn out post!
No Lies Detected

41 - 42 of 42 Posts