ClubWRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

Registered
Woot woot, finally getting my accessport tomorrow, getting the stage 1 tune from maperformance, come tax returns, throwing on a maperformance intake and downpipe and the requisite tune for it from maperformance! Pro tune coming in the spring 馃榿馃榿馃榿
Woot woot, finally getting my accessport tomorrow, getting the stage 1 tune from maperformance, come tax returns, throwing on a maperformance intake and downpipe and the requisite tune for it from maperformance! Pro tune coming in the spring 馃榿馃榿馃榿
good luck man! maptunes are iiight for the time-being but the protune is where you will deff see it wake up. also, don't let anyone work ya up on here, there some pretty solid advice but for some odd fuckikng reason I see a good chunk of people who seem to preach sticking to stock cars or questioning why your modding your car in the first place, its odd AF and I don't get it but just brush it off.

Registered
2018 subaru wrx premium
Discussion Starter #22
Ha, yeah for sure man, the end of the day ill take advise, but its my car. Haha, I decided I'm actually going with a cobb flex fuel kit, and getting pro tuned shortly after that, probably within the next few months, then ill probably retune later in the summer because ill be adding a j pipe, intake, bigger top mount, and the tgv and egr deletes as well as a better clutch and lightened flywheel, That's the plan anyways, well see how it goes

Registered
Ha, yeah for sure man, the end of the day ill take advise, but its my car. Haha, I decided I'm actually going with a cobb flex fuel kit, and getting pro tuned shortly after that, probably within the next few months, then ill probably retune later in the summer because ill be adding a j pipe, intake, bigger top mount, and the tgv and egr deletes as well as a better clutch and lightened flywheel, That's the plan anyways, well see how it goes
oh ya for sure that's how I see it. I mean I break shit al the time but that doesn't stop me, just fix it it not the end of the world if you start going balls out and modding you typically know what your getting yourself into so it's not a big deal lol. break, fix, repeat, f*** it lol mines the side project car so I get a little out of hand sometimes but still haha

and that's whatsup. you'll absolutely need to get tuned when u do they flex but man it makes a good difference. I refuse to do any runs if im not on e. good luck with the build it'll be a PAIN IN THE A$$ but so fun ha! Just make sure to keep in mind all the little essential mods while your starting to get up there in power, cuz that's when shit starts to really break.

odd reason I see a good chunk of people who seem to preach sticking to stock cars or questioning why your modding your car in the first place
Want to know why.

New poster: Sup bros I'm slapping a bunch of bullshit on my car and have no idea what I'm doing, how to care for my car, or how to drive properly
Experienced member of any forum: Don't do that leave it stock
New poster: No, I know better

6 Months later

New poster: I blew up my shitbox, Subaru is garbage. My friend/brother/father/uncle/nephson/favorite social media tool/ETC didn't have this problem with his 500000000hp (insert vehicle).

If you sign into a forum as a new member and start posting about modifying the fuck out of your new car and that forum strokes your ego about it, its nowhere you want to be.

Registered
2018 subaru wrx premium
Discussion Starter #25
Scare mongering does not help anyone. And modifying a wrx absolutely does not mean its going to blow up. Please post that negative sh$% elsewhere.
Btw, I am faaarrr from being new to the car scene and have owned many modified vehicles. This may be my first wrx, but its not my first rodeo. Unless I ask about a problem I'm having with the car, please do not post that "your car is going to blow up" nonsense in my threads

BooSTIng
Scare mongering does not help anyone. And modifying a wrx absolutely does not mean its going to blow up. Please post that negative sh$% elsewhere.
Btw, I am faaarrr from being new to the car scene and have owned many modified vehicles. This may be my first wrx, but its not my first rodeo. Unless I ask about a problem I'm having with the car, please do not post that "your car is going to blow up" nonsense in my threads
Look this is getting out of hand. XJ has been around these parts for a long time and wasn't attacking you. He is just telling you how it is. The matter of the fact is that majority of us modify our wrx/sti. These are facts. XJ, myself, and many other of the guys that have been here for a long time and dealt with these things first hand know what we are talking about.

What XJ is saying are indeed facts. He is trying to help by educating you about why others engines have failed and why certain things are bad ideas. No one is telling you NOT to modify your car. But just trying to give you knowledge to do it properly.

Registered
2018 subaru wrx premium
Discussion Starter #27
Hey, im for help.. when asked, and I'm not saying xj is a bad guy or that he's even 100% wrong. But unless that topic is relevant comments like his are not needed.

Registered
2018 subaru wrx premium
Discussion Starter #28
Btw, might as well say this while the topic is up. Obviously modifying any vehical brings inherent risks for failure, I know this. But this hobby is my life, it's 100% what I'm into doing, I've NEVER had a stock vehicle, and I never will. I've been in the car hobby 20+ years, and I do know one thing, shit happens. If something breaks, its not the end of the world, you just fix it and keep moving forward. But just because its a subaru doesn't mean its going to blow up the second you modifiy it. Maintain it right, don't beat the snot out of it everyday, you will be just fine. But if something goes wrong and breaks down, which also happens to completely stock vehicles btw.. just fix it, again, not the end of the world

脝ternum
You might not be new to the car scene, but you are new to these forums.

This is my thirteenth year here. The frustration that us old hats have to endure is the prevalence of ignorance. It's not that cars are modified -- I'm not against that in any way. Look at my bugeye thread.

It's that people want to do the following:
1. Prove something to their bros (usually dick swinging)
2. Use cheap parts with a false equivalence principle (example: all coilovers are an upgrade)
3. Do not do their own research
4. Will not listen to reason
5. Modify within the warranty period and then complain when their warranty claim is rejected

Even worse and more personal is #5 when people modify, break something, then try to cover it up to make a warranty claim. It makes SOA skeptical of all warranty claims and affects all of us.

Perhaps the worst offense is when people want to "go around" the typical modification pathways because "Bro, I don't want to be like everyone. I want my car to be different and special."

脝ternum
With respect to you and modifying your car -- eat your heart out! I don't have any personal experience with the FA platform so I don't have much technical knowledge to offer. With every platform there is a weak link. I hope that when you do find that weak link, you will be a man about it and not try to swindle Subaru.

Registered
2018 subaru wrx premium
Discussion Starter #31
Well my cars only warranty is the one I paid for, which is thru my work, and is nothing like subarus factory warranty

脝ternum
Like I said, as long as you aren't shithead about it, I could care less.

Far too many people are shitheads about it.

Registered
2018 subaru wrx premium
Discussion Starter #33
Lol yeah, I wouldn't do that. I however do have a pretty slick warranty, 3 years, I believe 80,000 miles, anything that breaks, no matter the reason, free replacement, I just have to do the labor myself here at work. The dealership i got the car from, has a contract with my employer because we do all the work and inspections on their cars before they put em on their lot

Registered
Want to know why.

New poster: Sup bros I'm slapping a bunch of bullshit on my car and have no idea what I'm doing, how to care for my car, or how to drive properly
Experienced member of any forum: Don't do that leave it stock
New poster: No, I know better

6 Months later

New poster: I blew up my shitbox, Subaru is garbage. My friend/brother/father/uncle/nephson/favorite social media tool/ETC didn't have this problem with his 500000000hp (insert vehicle).

If you sign into a forum as a new member and start posting about modifying the fuck out of your new car and that forum strokes your ego about it, its nowhere you want to be.
nah I totally get where your coming from but I wouldn't tell someone to not mod their car. let em do it. sure of course, there's a proper way to do something but to be honest, sometimes you just gotta let em make their own mistakes sometimes(to an extent). honestly in the past that's been some of the best lessons ive learned. Theyre clearly coming to the forums because they want to do stuff to their car, if they wanted it stock they'd leave it up to the mechanics and dealership.
its one thing to offer advice but I see a lot of comments on here just straight up shutting people down and telling them don't mod their car, like huh? that's wild to me. but eh it's just the internet so it's not a big deal hopefully others see it that way too.

To each their own. I can only give my opinion and advice based off of my experiences around this fandom/hobby. Many of these vehicles are niche vehicles and finicky by design. When someone springs into one 9 times out of 10 nothing good comes from it.

My moniker on this forum for instance is because I am a long time jeep guy, XJ Cherokee specifically although I've owned 3 wranglers and a grand Cherokee. Every time someone cold opens with "I'm thinking of getting a wrangler" the answer is 100% don't waste your money. Guy at work asked a few years ago because his wife wanted one, told him not to waste his time and money. Didn't listen and now owns a vehicle they hate because again its a niche vehicle with a myriad of mechanical pains in the ass.

The reason is the same reason for the wrx. They are a handful to maintain at times and cascade failures can be the death of you. For every ounce of pain in the ass it is to get a subaru built well its equally as hard to get a jeep lifted and riding well. People don't understand why long time owners don't dick around with modified drivers and their toys have lifts that cost sometimes thousands per inch for even mild riding. So the new owner, against the advice of every experienced owner, runs out and buys their jeep and their 4" Guangdong offroad lift and 38" Guangdong mudders then complain about how the ride is terrible, they have death wobble they cant cure, and capability thats terrible. Point out the problem of cheap ass parts and a half assed mentality that the average enthusiast has then they get sore over it.

I think everyone who has posted here to leave the car stock either has long experience with modified vehicles, currently owns modified vehicles, are endlessly working on their modified vehicles, or are asking themselves if the 20k for the repair after their modified vehicle detonated was worth it. Maybe even a combination of things.

Registered
I have a little bit of time wrenching on vehicles, starting with some farm equipment in the early / mid-60s. I was as out of place in my high school for my love of funny little English vehicles, with 4 pot engines, as any fish casually strolling down Main Street. It was a major challenge keeping those TR6s, Lotus Europa, TR8s, Saab Sonnett III running in stock form. You had to own two or three of them, just to ensure you had a running car.

Through those trials and tribulations and some of the worst cars ever built, I found out a couple things. If you modify your car, it will break more. If you track your car, it will break more. If you drive like a maniac, you will get broken. XJ, Zax and WRX-Maniac are old hands at this Subaru car stuff (there are others). They have seen the idiots come and go. They have heard all of the cry me a river stories.

It is your car. Do as you want. Do so with eyes wide open. Don't dismiss the older voices when then offer caution as advice. Drop you a LSX stroker, making 550HP and 600 pound feet into the WRX. Now that'll be a fun build. That'll be a crazy car at Cars and Coffee. Done right, it might even be fast.

脝ternum
The proper place for an LS engine is sitting between the front tires of a Miata.

Why?

Because an LS is always the answer. Because a Miata is always the answer.

It's just natural. Beautiful almost.

Reactions: Camaromjr

People have put the BMW s85 v10 from the e60 m5 in a subaru. That high pitched high rpm v10 wail is really fitting.

Registered
2018 subaru wrx premium
Discussion Starter #40
I'm happy with the original power plant, no swaps for me

21 - 40 of 42 Posts