ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I just bought myself a 2018 wrx premium, I love it except for the few issues I've notices that come with these that need tuned out, I'll get pictures posted soon!

·
11,233 Posts
What issues that need tuned out? Tuning brings on more issues than it cures in the end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I ment the rev hang, and im new to this but from what I've researched, all these wrxs under full throttle cut timing and you can noticbly feel it while accelerating, i talked to my local tuner shop, who build incredible Subarus, that that is something commen with these cars, which can be fixed with a tune

·
11,233 Posts
Well I ment the rev hang, and im new to this but from what I've researched, all these wrxs under full throttle cut timing and you can noticbly feel it while accelerating, i talked to my local tuner shop, who build incredible Subarus, that that is something commen with these cars, which can be fixed with a tune
If your car is pulling timing under full throttle there is an issue. Tuning it won't solve that issue. I suggest you ignore the "after market tunes are way better than stock tunes" crowd and evaluate and think about a few things.

It's cheaper, safer, and more reliable to buy a faster car.

If a car has to be modified to meet the performance standards that you require them look for a different car.

With a broad brush modified vehicles are inherently less reliable than factory vehicles. The more modified the less reliable. All the way to a few thousand miles an engine.

Rev hang is an emissions feature. It's designed to keep the crank case pressure down and lessen oil vapors being lost or pushed into the cylinders. More oil vapor in the cylinder the more gunk that feeds through the egr and back to the valves causing air flow obstructions.

If a car company could improve fuel economy, reliability, power, efficiency with a simple tune then they would. They employ the greatest engineers in their fields with research and development budgets that make the entire aftermarket business look like a low budget start up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No matter what car I own, im always going to modify it, regardless on how fast it is stock, and my car is plenty fast, im not modding it just for horsepower, but because I enjoy doing it, I enjoy customizing my car for both form and function. And my local tuner knows his stuff when it comes to reliably modding and tuning subarus, so im going with his word on the matter.

·
11,233 Posts
All I can give you is sound advice and suggestions based off of the "best tuner in my area tuned my car" and the follow-up thread "blown engine 15k dollar replacement?"

You do you, but don't do it ignorantly and uninformed. Subaru has a long reputation of engine failures and expensive repairs. Does it sound worth it, if so run with it. If not, I'd advise enjoying it stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I can tell you this, not everyone who has a subaru tuned blows up their car, and yes Im firmly aware of the issues involved with blown motors in these cars, 90% of which are kids who buy a tuner and crank up the boost on an otherwise stock car, that is not even close to what Im going to do. As for performance im only going with a few bolt ons and having our shop tune my car to run efficiently given the mods im doing, im not trying to ring out every little bit of power that I can.

·
11,233 Posts
That's not how tuning works. You don't just dial up boost and the only tuning solution available for the 2018 in any accessibility is the cobb ap and it will only flash tunes created for it. It doesn't let you just "dial up boost". It's slapping bolt ons on the car and not tuning properly or at all that's a bigger problem than opting for a Cobb staged tune.

The non understanding of how it works is why I suggest you spend more time not modifying it. You just bought a used car, no matter what the owner said or provided how can you guarantee it hasn't been beat to death? Adult owner? I'm an adult and I beat cars to death.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well whatever the case may be, our debate isn't really helping anyone.. so moving on..

·
11,233 Posts
I feel I'm helping you. It's a bummer showing up here to see members with immaculately maintained vehicles blown up. I'm attempting to help you not be one of those people.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you have just purchased the vehicle used, you may have factory warranty still available. I would take advantage of having that warranty for at least some length of time before I brought the specter of warranty claim denial into the picture. I agree, the rev hang was a pain the @$$. However, I lived with that for the sake of new car who knows. I would suggest you leave things stock until you have some good miles and time with the vehicle. The second part of engine modification is that you need to have a reserve of cash in case the engine hand grenades. Once you have modified the car, you have pulled the pin.

I am also a believer in if you need a faster car, then buy a faster car. I am afraid that father time has knee-capped me for the much needed driver mod.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,214 Posts
Nice car! I like the 1/4 front view from the low angle best. Nice wheel set.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts